I Thought This Was A Common T...

By estellerinn

As if it wasn't enough to be hit on the head by my co-workers and boyfriend, I died at the hands of my gambli... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156 - The End

Chapter 99

1.6K 39 0
By estellerinn

"Edith Riegelhoff thinks of House Ludwig as her purse. She said that if she and Sir Killian divorce, she'll get a huge mansion and a big alimony check, and that she has nothing to complain about."

"What?"

"That's what Miss Edith herself told me at the National Day ball. I'm not the only one who heard it, so you can look into it."

If you listen to the story without the details, it sounds like Edith has been spreading rumors like that all over the place.

The Duke had been feeling sorry for Edith as of late, but to hear her say such a thing at a time when Count Riegelhoff was causing him so much trouble, he felt a surge of betrayal and clenched his molars.

But he didn't show his feelings hastily. "Not that there's anything wrong with that, after all, that's what it says in the contract I signed myself when they got married."

Again, the Count spoke up, "How long are you going to put up with this cunning, insolent creature who takes after her father? Count Riegelhoff is no longer with you, and I can provide you with a solid iron ore distribution network. You know what that means, don't you?"

The marriage was made for iron ore distribution rights and an alliance, and since those two conditions have already lost their meaning, shouldn't the marriage be broken?

"Hmm......"

Even so, when the Duke didn't respond, Leila hesitantly spoke up with a pained expression.

"It's because of Lizé...... isn't it? Because I was mean to her in the past......"

The words hit the nail on the head, and the Duke turned his gaze to Leila.

"I was too young and immature then, and I was jealous because she was beautiful...... but I'm not now, and she's my sister after all."

Leila pretended to reflect on her past with a sad expression, but the Duke made no response to that either.

He knew that Leila Sinclair was the source of all the malicious rumors about Lizé that had been circulating for some time.

'But it's also true that we need an iron ore distribution network, because sooner or later we'll need to place another large order for weapons like swords and spears......'

Of course, the iron ore of the empire would not be controlled by just two families, but Count Riegelhoff and Count Sinclair have the largest distribution network.

As the Duke thought about it, he was bothered by Killian's demeanor lately.

'He seems to be trying to keep Edith by his side, but...... should I tell him to let go of her now?'

As a duke who doesn't know the details of what goes on in the mansion, he doesn't know exactly how Killian feels.

But he believes that Killian is not in love with Edith. Compared to the Killian who was in love with Lizé, the Killian of today is more of a bluntness towards Edith.

"Hmm, It's far too early to talk about this. It's not as if Count Riegelhoff has completely betrayed me, and it's not as if I have any control over Killian's marriage, but I do understand what you're trying to say."

Count Sinclair backed down, albeit with some regret.

"Of course, I didn't mean for you to decide on the matter of Sir Killian's marriage right now, either. Rather, I was just stopping by to assure you that we have the iron ore distribution rights, so you don't have to worry too much, Duke."

"Thank you. Thanks to you, I'll be able to deal with Archduke Langston's faction in a more measured manner."

"Hahaha, I'm glad I could be of help."

They ended the conversation in a friendly mood.

***

Upon hearing the news of the arrival of Count Sinclair, Cliff purposely took Lizé out while Killian and I stayed in the parlor with the Duchess.

The Duchess said, "They'll probably come out here for a little talk before heading back."

The Duchess also seemed less than pleased with Count Sinclair's visit.

After all, this was a family that had harassed Lizé, whom she considered a daughter, and was still harassing her with a steady stream of malicious rumors.

Killian was no different. "I don't know how thick the faces of shameless humans are, I wish I could skin them and see."

He said it in a hushed tone, and I got goosebumps because I knew he could really do it if he set his mind to it.

'Come to think of it, killing Edith with a single slash of the sword across her throat is quite merciful in the original story, at least she isn't tortured.'

Maybe the original Killian feels some kind of compassion for Edith.

......or because he has to quickly kill all the Riegelhoffs and their people.

While I was pondering these zero-productivity thoughts, the Duke entered the parlor with Count Sinclair and his children.

The Duchess, who had been looking displeased until just now, greeted them with a smile as bright and benevolent as ever.

"I hope you haven't had too much tea," she said, "because I've prepared an abundance of refreshments."

At the Duchess' gesture, the waiting maids set the tea and refreshments on the table.

The black tea steams up fragrantly, and the freshly baked scones with heavy cream and strawberry jam look absolutely delicious.

But Leila, seated across from me, seems to be more busy staring at Killian than at the delectable refreshments.

I understand, of course.

Even if it were me, I'd spend the whole time here looking at Killian before going home. I wouldn't even blink.

The mood at tea time wasn't bad.

Killian remained expressionless the entire time, but the Duke and Duchess are more socialized people, so they led the conversation with their dignity.

But I felt out of the loop and on the periphery of the conversation.

I don't know if it was intentional or unavoidable, but the topics of conversation were all about things from the past that I didn't know about.

I didn't think it would be helpful to chime in anyway, so I just smiled quietly and sipped my tea, and somehow made eye contact with Leila.

Contrary to my expectation that she would only give me a quick glance, Leila smiled brightly and said, "I am sorry, Miss Edith...... but I need to wash my hands."

She must have needed to use the restroom.

I could have called a maid to take her, but she seemed to have something to say to me, so I stood up.

"Please come this way."

"Thank you."

Leila followed behind me, her expression quite different from when she was at the National Day ball.

As soon as we entered the hallway to the restroom, she stopped in her tracks and burst out laughing.

"You hide your true colors very well when you're inside the Ludwig mansion, huh?"

Expecting some sort of fight, I replied, "I've been thinking since last time, Miss Leila, that you might want to take a look at yourself before saying anything to anyone else."

"Ha...... what are you talking about?"

"'I am sorry, Miss Edith, but I need to wash my hands.'" I repeated her words, mimicking Leila's innocent expression.

Leila's face quickly turned red. "We'll see how long you can keep up that haughty demeanor. Oh, and by the way, did you hear that my family got the rights to distribute iron ore from the north?"

"I don't know, I'm not interested."

"Well, since you're not interested in the way the world works, I suppose you are. You do realize that it was the Riegelhoffs' iron ore distribution rights that allowed you to marry Sir Killian, right?"

She looks so excited, I can't believe she's been waiting all this time to show it off to me.

"It's not until next year that my family gets the iron ore distribution rights, that's your expiration date for your position."

"An expiration date you say......?"

Leila raised her brow at my snarky tone.

"You see, Duke Ludwig had no choice but to take you as his daughter-in-law because of the alliance and the iron ore distribution rights, but the alliance is already broken, so what good are the Riegelhoffs' iron ore distribution rights? And yet my family, an ally of House Ludwig, got the iron ore distribution rights. Do you really have no idea what this means?"

I let out a long sigh.

"What is Killian's opinion?"

"Pfft, my goodness, Miss Edith. How could you say something like that? You're the one who forced Sir Killian to marry you against his wishes!"

"So, you're going to do it this time?"

I felt like I could understand Killian a little bit when he first married me.

How disgusted he must be to have a wife in such a way.

Especially since it meant giving up his love for Lizé......

"The restroom's over there, you're not stupid enough to lose your way back to the parlor, are you?"

I pointed nonchalantly toward the end of the hallway.

Apparently not pleased with my condescending attitude, Leila glared at me with the same venomous glare she had during the National Day ball.

"I'm sure Sir Killian would be happy to divorce you."

"Maybe, but that doesn't mean he'll accept marriage to you."

"That's something you don't know."

"I know, and don't look down on Killian Ludwig."

Don't make fun of the time I spent trying to change his mind!

"Then, you can wash your hands now."

I waved and walked toward the parlor, not even looking at Leila.

Even without looking back, I could see Leila gritting her teeth.

But turning away from her, I didn't feel much better.

'So this is how it goes......'

I sighed.

On the other hand, I also felt a little bit unfair.

'No matter what, the Sinclairs are Lizé's main enemies, so is it okay for the story to be twisted like this?'

In the original story, Duke Ludwig mercilessly tramples on the face of Count Sinclair, who belatedly realizes Lizé's value and claims parental rights without shame.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

450K 10.1K 34
There are many Cliches in my school. The main four are the Jock, the Popular Girls, the Bullies, and the Nerds. Of course, I had to fall in the worst...
7.4K 176 21
Fortune found herself falling from the sky with her cat, Sage, just after opening a weird book she found in her Grandpa's library. Who would have tho...
284K 7.5K 170
After six years of war, my fiancé returned. With a woman and his child in tow. While saying that he couldn't leave her. The same irresponsible fiancé...
487K 15.5K 116
'I want to travel to a place unknown to the many...' It was a passing wish to the weary and tired Eugene and she'd not think it'd ever come to pass...