I Thought This Was A Common T...

By estellerinn

As if it wasn't enough to be hit on the head by my co-workers and boyfriend, I died at the hands of my gambli... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156 - The End

Chapter 85

1.7K 45 2
By estellerinn

"It was a joke. But it's weird. I said it was on Killian's mouth, why are you covering your mouth, sister-in-law?"

Oh...... you got me.

Killian blushed, obviously embarrassed.

"Don't you have anything better to do than make a stupid joke......"

"You haven't been able to take your eyes off her since arriving here, so I thought I'd make fun of you at least for once. Haha!"

Cliff laughed lightly, then whispered in Killian's ear, "Archduke Langston is here, and his followers are swarming around him right now, including Count Riegelhoff, so you'd better keep an eye on your wife."

The joviality faded quickly, and Cliff and Killian's faces grew stern.

"And Lizé?"

"The Princess took her and refused to let her go."

"And how is the Sinclairs?"

"They're still there, but strangely enough, they seem to be watching you and your wife more closely than Lizé."

Oh, so I wasn't the only one who noticed.

It makes me even more suspicious that the Sinclairs are the ones behind the embroidery thread incident.

"Okay. You take care of Lizé."

"You take care of yourself."

Cliff patted Killian on the shoulder and walked away.

'It's so weird to see Cliff wandering around without Lizé. He said the Princess is with Lizé, so is it that episode?'

I glanced over to see what was going on in the ballroom, and it turned out to be an episode from the original story.

Princess Catherine was receiving greetings from the other ladies, with Lizé by her side.

'So this is it, the episode that brought together all the young ladies who had looked down on Lizé as an illegitimate child and caused them to bow their heads!'

They were paying their respects to the Princess, but at the same time, they were bowing down to Lizé.

But no one could say anything. After all, it was the law that a young lady accompanying the Princess must not bow to anyone other than the Princess herself.

Besides, it was a great metaphor.

Soon to be Cliff's wife, Lizé would not have to bow to any of those young ladies.

'It was a 'cider' event, a way for Lizé to step out of her birthright.'

From now on, all Lizé will have to do is make more 'cider' events.

'One of which involves Count Riegelhoff, and the beheading of me.'

I could feel the tension in the air, like a knot in my stomach.

But Killian suddenly put his arm around my shoulders. "Don't be anxious. As long as you stay by my side, no one will hurt you."

His warmth radiated through the fabric.

My heart, which had been fluttering in anxiety, calmed down.

"Thank you, Killian."

I took a deep breath and followed him into the ballroom.

Princess Catherine kept Lizé at her side, giving the other young ladies a taste of humiliation before returning her to Cliff, who had approached them, unhappy but having no choice.

It was quite entertaining to watch the Princess, who had previously had a crush on Cliff, get into a cold war with Cliff over Lizé.

"Looks like Lizé's had enough of the Princess, she's going to collapse," I muttered.

Killian looked at me strangely as I worried about Lizé, and then whispered, "If you'd like to say hello to the Princess, I can do you a favor."

"What? Oh, no, absolutely not!"

Do I look jealous of Lizé? Maybe it's time to reassure him that my worries are genuine.

But as I was wringing my hands, my gaze locked with Princess Catherine's.

With a subtle smile, she walked straight toward me.

'Uh, uh? What's going on?!'

I fidgeted in panic, then hurriedly bowed as Killian did.

"It's been a long time, Lord Ludwig."

"Your Highness."

"And this is?"

She had grown up as friends with Cliff and Killian, so there should be no ill will toward Killian.

Still, the coldness in her voice tells me she doesn't like me.

"This is my wife, Edith Ludwig."

"It is an honor to meet you, Your Highness. I am Edith Ludwig."

I bowed and introduced myself, but Catherine's clear hostility didn't fade.

"Hmm...... were you the young lady of the Riegelhoff family?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

That was all she said to me.

Catherine then turned to Killian and spoke only to him, completely ignoring me.

"The marriage itself was an unreasonable demand by the Riegelhoffs, wasn't it? How impudent of them......"

"Your Highness......!"

"Oh by the way, I heard about that, too, that Lizé was poisoned not long ago. Knowing how close Lizé and I are, why didn't you tell me?"

"That's because–"

"Because your wife is a suspect?"

Killian and I sucked in a breath at the same time.

'What does this mean all of a sudden? Why is Princess Catherine doing this to me?'

Maybe I'm making too light of it, because in the original story, Edith doesn't even attend the National Day ball.

The author, or rather the project to make Edith the villain, is not done yet.

"No, we've tentatively concluded that Edith wasn't the culprit, and Lizé herself wanted the case to be buried, because otherwise, would Cliff have stayed put?"

Killian took my side, unexpectedly strongly.

Princess Catherine's eyes widened in surprise. "Funny, Killian. As if you never loved Lizé......"

It was strange.

I already knew Killian was in love with Lizé, but her words were like a knife to my heart.

I'm sure Killian has nothing to say about it......

"Just as you have closed your heart to Cliff because he loves Lizé, I have done the same. I wouldn't do Lizé any favors by clinging to a hopeless love."

......hm?

I was stunned for a moment.

In the original story, Kilian gave the impression that he could never be with anyone because of his love for Lizé....... but now he's saying he has closed his heart to Lizé?

'S- should I be happy......?'

If he's changed his mind about Lizé, it means he's really starting to accept me, which is good for my survival.

I should be happy, but strangely, my heart ached.

'How painful it must have been for him to close that big heart of his. No, it must still be painful now, right?'

I can almost feel the pain of the second male lead.

I've only known Killian for ten months, but I kept imagining how hard it must have been for him, who had been looking at Lizé for five years.

The revelation that he'd given up on Lizé came as a shock to Catherine, who looked dumbfounded for a moment before bursting out laughing.

"Ha! Killian Ludwig, you've changed so much. Is she that important to you – someone you're going to have to get rid of sooner or later anyway?"

W- what? Excuse me?

Why do you have to say such a scary thing? What have I done?

Tears welled up in my eyes as my sentimental heart turned to anger.

But anyone who is not given permission to speak by the Princess must not dare to interrupt the conversation. I must only trust Killian and wait.

"Your Highness, can you take full responsibility for what you're saying?"

"What?"

"'Get rid of' my wife? Who told you that? If my wife is to be gotten rid of, does that mean I'll be gotten rid of as well?"

"No, it's not like that!"

"Or do you mean that you would get rid of my wife at the pleasure of the imperial family, and that you think the Ludwigs can be wielded at will by the imperial family?"

"Killian, that is not what I mean!"

"Then what do you mean? I'm thinking of taking Edith down to the estate next year, but didn't you say that she would be gotten rid of? Who were you referring to?"

It wasn't just words, Killian seemed genuinely angry.

It must be serious, because even the nasty Catherine was flustered.

"Killian. Calm down."

"Calm down? Why would I calm down when I didn't even get an apology?"

Ouch! Killian's fierce glare reached me. I feel like a shrimp in a whale fight.

Just then, a brilliant voice called out from somewhere.

"Your Highness! Killian! What are you doing here?"

It was Lizé, appearing just in time.

"I was just hoping to uncover the truth about your poisoning......"

Catherine quickly excused herself, but Killian was in no mood to let her off the hook.

"Lizé, did you tell the Princess about that incident?"

Killian's question made both Catherine and Lizé flinch.

"I was the one who asked!"

Catherine defended her, but Lizé looked like she was about to cry.

"I- I'm sorry, I was explaining why I couldn't accept Her Highness' invitation...... but why?"

"I don't know how you explained the incident, but Her Highness was quick to accuse Edith of being the culprit."

"I never said Edith was the culprit!"

Lizé was visibly flustered, and Catherine gestured that she was right.

"Then why did you insult my wife like that? I know there are all sorts of vicious rumors about her, but I would have thought that you, as a wise princess, would not believe them straight out of the gate......"

Wow, this is really uncomfortable.

I think I'll step away for a moment, and you guys can sort this out amongst yourselves.

But Killian must have sensed my desire to get away, because he suddenly put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me closer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 115K 200
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
157K 5.7K 27
phobia /ˈfəʊbɪə/ noun an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something. *** Eve Hamilton has a fear of touch. She immediately becomes defens...
480K 15.2K 116
'I want to travel to a place unknown to the many...' It was a passing wish to the weary and tired Eugene and she'd not think it'd ever come to pass...
TVRTH [Book 1] By issa

Historical Fiction

78.5K 2.5K 194
Title: The Villainess Reverses the Hourglass/The Villainess Turns the Hourglass Language: Korean Author(s): San Sobi 산소비 Artist(s): Pig Cake 돼지케이크 Ye...