I Thought This Was A Common T...

By estellerinn

As if it wasn't enough to be hit on the head by my co-workers and boyfriend, I died at the hands of my gambli... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156 - The End

Chapter 32

1.8K 36 8
By estellerinn

Killian's eyebrows twitched momentarily at Cliff's chosen title.

But it's not strange, really. I'd always called her 'that woman' too.

"Why that woman?"

"I heard she started working under Sir Renon's supervision today."

"I heard that too."

"So I asked Renon to stop by and see if he noticed anything unusual."

Cliff lifted his teacup in a graceful motion.

He still seemed convinced that Edith was responsible for the document leak.

"She can't have been acting strange from day one."

"Still, you never know. Renon's pretty sharp."

A moment later, Renon really came.

"You called for me, young master?"

"Sorry to keep you busy, Renon. It's just that...... you're doing surveillance on Edith from today, right?"

Killian didn't like the way Cliff used the word.

Surveillance.

Of course, there was a purpose to it, but it was more about helping the Duchess with her work. Even Edith asked her to assign someone to watch her first.

Killian covered his mouth with his teacup to hide his displeasure, and Renon replied in his characteristically emotionless voice.

"I've been told to make sure the documents Miss Edith touches aren't in danger of being lost, but to be fair, Miss Edith has come to help me do my job."

"Well, that's that. Anyway, what do you think...... did you notice anything suspicious?"

Renon was silent for a moment as he replayed the morning he'd spent working with Edith, then spoke slowly, "I can't say for sure, having only seen her briefly today, but to be honest......"

Killian was so nervous about what he was going to say that he forgot to take a sip of his tea.

"She seemed to be very meticulous in her work; her concentration, comprehension, and judgment are excellent, and above all, she is persistent; my office environment would not have appealed to a noblewoman, but she worked diligently without any complaints."

"I've never heard you speak so highly of someone before. She must have tried pretty hard to get into your good graces, huh?"

"I don't know, after all, I've only seen her this morning."

"Well...... okay, I see. I might call on you again, so keep an eye on her."

Cliff patted Renon on the back and sent him on his way.

Next to him, Lizé blushed and said shyly, "I think he's got a crush on Edith. I've never heard him speak so highly of anyone."

Cliff sighed at that. "I don't think Renon is the kind of person who is swayed by emotions......"

"But who doesn't have feelings? Renon isn't married yet, and Edith is beautiful, so...... it's possible."

Lizé was always so lovely when she opened her mouth, but for the first time today, Killian was offended by what she said.

'I know we're married on paper, but to say something like that when I, her husband, am right in front of you is kind of......'

No, I can't even say "on paper" anymore. I've already slept with Edith.

Of course, Killian couldn't say that out loud.

"No way. I trust Renon. I've known him for years. Don't you know how hard Theo trained him?"

Theo Filch had meticulously trained his heir, Renon, from head to toe. So much so that even the strict Duke would say it was too much.

But Renon took his father's training in stride, and his skills were such that he was able to assist the duke's household from a young age.

One of the things Theo taught him was not to feel anything but loyalty to his master's family.

In those days, it was not uncommon for noblewomen to run away after having an affair with their employers, so Theo emphasized that quite a bit.

"Besides, as far as beauty goes, Lizé, you're the one, and there's no way Renon, who wasn't swayed by you, would be swayed by Edith."

"Ki- Killian!"

Lizé turned red in the cheeks, embarrassed.

"You're playing tricks on Lizé again."

Cliff scoffed beside her.

It was a routine thing.

But what Killian was feeling was quite different.

'It's no big deal...... I guess.'

Every time he'd spoken his mind to Lizé, even in jest, and every time Cliff had laughed at him, his heart ached.

But now, he didn't care.

In fact, something else bothered him more.

'......no way Renon has a crush on Edith, is there?'

Although he says he trusts Renon, no one knows what's in people's hearts.

Renon was unfazed even in the face of Lizé's beauty, but Edith is a different type of beauty than Lizé.

'I don't know if Renon is more into sensual beauty.'

If you're faced with a sensual woman for hours on end in a closed room with just the two of you......

'He's a man, too, so he may get swayed. He might have a lustful fantasy, and if she tries to seduce him......'

The image of Edith kissing him and looking at him with her moist eyes, and Renon looking stoic, made Killian's stomach turn.

"If you're done talking, I'll go first."

"What, already?"

"I have to go down to Ryzen estate with my father next week, and I have a lot to prepare."

"Okay, you can go first."

Lizé looked a little flustered and reached for Killian, but Cliff waved goodbye as always.

Before, he hated it and sat until the end, but now he could go first.

The days of agonizing over what Cliff and Lizé would have done if they'd stayed behind seemed somehow distant.

Right now, he was more worried about what was going on between Renon and Edith than anything else.

'I'm worried...... maybe Edith is trying to seduce him too. Don't tell me...... something happened in my absence?'

Even though he knew it was Edith who was bad, Killian gritted his teeth at the thought of Renon.

***

Three times a week, while helping Renon with his work, enjoying my hobbies, and occasionally chatting idly with Killian, I waited for a new episode to start.

As I rummaged through my memory of the original story, I realized that we were about to get to the part of the episode where Lizé and Edith would be the center of attention.

Then, a few days after Killian left on a visit to the estate with the Duke of Ludwig, the Duchess summoned me and Lizé.

"The Countess of Ermenia is organizing a bazaar next month, so there will be an embroidery meeting at the mansion starting tomorrow, and you are invited to attend."

The bazaar episode was about to begin.

You might be wondering what a bazaar has to do with embroidery, but that's the setting of this novel.

The noblewomen sell items at the bazaar, mostly embroidery. They organize the bazaar by forming an embroidery group among their close friends, and the Duchess' group is meeting this year at the Ludwig mansion.

Because it's where the main characters live.

"I'm not very good at it...... and I'm worried if I'll be causing any trouble."

Lizé humbly replied like the female lead she is, but the truth is, her skills are undoubted.

On the other hand, I tried embroidery as a hobby, but still could only do very basic stitches.

I don't have much memory of embroidery, probably because the original Edith is also a poor embroiderer.

'So what?'

It is a social event and a fundraiser, so it doesn't matter if I'm not very good.

I replied to the Duchess that I would be attending and started preparing my embroidery tools.

After all, the most fun part of starting anything is getting the equipment.

The next day, I was faced with many pairs of eyes looking me up and down.

"As you all know, this is my daughter-in-law, Edith."

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Edith Ludwig. I'm still learning, but I'll do my best."

I bowed politely at the Duchess' introduction, but the members of the embroidery group seemed to think I was some sort of Riegelhoff family brat.

Well, even the people living in this house do, so who cares.

"And this is Lizé Sinclair, who is staying with us as an honored guest."

"Hello, I am Lizé Sinclair. I hope to learn a lot from you."

Lizé smiled brightly and was met with a flurry of favorable glances and replies.

'It's the perfect environment for a sane person to become a villain, isn't it?'

I was stunned to hear that affectionate response, but I don't want a future where everyone is nice to me anyway.

I just need to make sure that the Ludwigs, or more specifically, Killian, have no thoughts of killing me.

'Choose and focus, choose and focus.'[1]

[1] Choose a specific part that is most beneficial and focus on it.

With that thought in mind, the ladies' snarky demeanor didn't bother me.

Once the introductions were over, embroidery time began in earnest, and the talented ladies took up sizable embroidery frames and announced plans to create masterpieces.

I felt a bit defeated as I pulled out my small frame to do some stitches on a handkerchief, but I decided to join in anyway. And Lizé...... huh? What's that?

"I'm going to embroider a wildflower garden on a muslin shawl I just finished."

"Wow, that must be so pretty, and you made that shawl yourself?"

"Yes. I woven it myself with the help of my bedchamber maids. It's a bit sloppy, but......"

"It's not sloppy, it's beautifully woven. I can't believe you know how to use a loom!"

I can't believe she can embroider a shawl that big...... is that what Lizé did in the original?

I think it was more like Lizé embroidered a handkerchief and Edith had a maid buy her a really big one...... but I don't know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

483K 15.4K 116
'I want to travel to a place unknown to the many...' It was a passing wish to the weary and tired Eugene and she'd not think it'd ever come to pass...
22.8K 920 20
The summer before fifth year was unexpected in many ways. Harry did not expect to get attacked by Dementors or nearly expelled from Hogwarts. But mos...
214K 6.6K 22
I reincarnated; I didn't see a white light. I didn't regain my memories due to an accident. I wasn't reborn into a world of magic. In this life, I ha...
16.5K 445 30
Quyền sanh sát, từ xưa đến nay, vẫn luôn là một thứ tốt. Ta rủ mắt, thờ ơ nhìn chằm chằm nước trà Long Tĩnh tỏa ra mùi hương thượng đẳng nhàn nhạt tr...