I Thought This Was A Common T...

By estellerinn

As if it wasn't enough to be hit on the head by my co-workers and boyfriend, I died at the hands of my gambli... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156 - The End

Chapter 19

1.8K 45 3
By estellerinn

Standing motionless, Edith's rosy ears, parted lips, slender nape, and curving shoulders and sternum made him giddy.

'What am I doing?'

The embarrassment and panic that came with the realization forced me to blurt out something like, "You did a good job helping my mother, just keep doing what you're doing and don't think about anything weird."

I also remember that Edith had only had her clothes altered at Ruayal's boutique, so I told her that she could call another boutique.

I admit that I didn't say it in a gentlemanly way. But I didn't expect to be criticized by her.

"It's not like I did anything wrong, you just hate me...... I can see why you'd want to blame me, it would make you feel better."

"It's cowardly."

Why did I have to hear that?

My head was spinning. The more I thought about it, the more my temples throbbed.

"You don't know anything about me, Killian. Nothing."

Why did that woman's face look so sad when she said that?

And she was right.

Killian knows nothing about Edith.

From the beginning, he had seen her only as 'Count Riegelhoff's daughter', and everything he had assumed about her was based on his impressions of Count Riegelhoff.

"Ugh......"

The pain started at his temple and spread to his entire head, until it felt like his skull was going to crack.

"Killian......?"

And when Lizé's voice was heard from somewhere, his throbbing head gradually got better.

"Lizé......?"

Lizé, who often came to watch Killian and Cliff's sparring, was on her way to the training ground today as well.

Killian was relieved that the pain was fading.

"Killian, what's wrong, are you hurt?"

"Oh, no, I'm fine."

He could smell the fresh scent of violets as Lizé looked up at him with concern.

'Yeah, I like the faint scent of violets. The strong rose scent is just disgusting.'

With that thought in mind, his head felt better.

"I'm really okay, Lizé. I've been dealing with an asshole of a woman this morning, and I just wanted to take a moment to–"

"Did you meet Edith......?"

"I came to warn her not to get her hopes up."

"Killian!"

"I didn't say anything mean, I just......"

Killian couldn't really explain why he'd stopped by Edith's room, not at the moment.

But with Lizé by his side, he didn't have to think too hard about it.

'She's just a spy sent in by Count Riegelhoff, and if she hates her situation, she should blame her father.'

With that thought, Killian pushed Edith's sad eyes out of his mind.

He tried to erase them.

***

After Killian left, I had to find something to occupy myself with for a few days to keep my mind off of him.

If I wasn't doing something, I'd soon find myself thinking about Killian's cold words, which felt like a knife to my heart.

'In times like this, you need to get out.'

In my past life, when I was feeling a little down, I would fill a large tumbler with iced Americano and walk outside.

I especially loved going to big malls, where window shopping or sitting on a bench and people-watching would cheer me up.

It was also frustrating to be stuck inside the mansion ever since I possessed Edith.

I deliberately stayed at home to avoid the route of the original Edith, who is out partying and gossiping about Lizé, but I thought, wouldn't it be nice to go out and explore the town?

As soon as I made up my mind, I called Anna.

"Anna, let's go out."

For the first time, Anna's eyes widened in surprise at the out-of-the-blue outing.

But she didn't question or look troubled.

"Yes, my lady. I will inform the Duchess, and we will be ready to go out immediately."

"Yes, please."

While Anna went off to inform the Duchess, I took a small bag and packed the jewelry I had removed from my dress when it was altered.

Then I opened my wardrobe and rummaged through it, choosing something to wear. Doing this seemed to lighten my gloomy mood.

Anna returned to convey the Duchess' permission and put a dress on me.

"Where are you going out?"

"Actually, that's what I was going to ask you, where do you think it would be fun to go out? To be honest, I've never been out on the town by myself before."

Again, Anna's eyes widened.

But she quickly lowered her gaze, as if she'd been trained not to ask back.

"I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for cute clothing stores, accessory stores, and dessert cafes, Le Belle-Marie Street is a good place to start, or if you're looking for banks, galleries, the opera house, and upscale cafes, the Darsus Street will be fine."

"Let's go to Darsus Street."

"Yes, miss."

Thanks to Anna, who had calmly arranged the outing without asking any unnecessary questions, I climbed into the carriage in good spirits without having to make any excuses.

The view from the carriage window was enough to get me excited.

'This is the downtown of the Rofan world!'

The early modern European streets were laid out to my liking, with little in the way of antiquity.

It was like walking through a theme park decorated in a European style.

As I stared out the carriage window, the carriage turned left at a large intersection and onto a street lined with stately stone buildings.

"We've arrived, miss."

"Okay!"

Anna instructed the coachman to go to a carriage waiting somewhere along this street and came to stand beside me.

"Do you have somewhere to stop?"

"Uh, yes. I'd like to stop by a jeweler first."

"There are several famous jewelers."

"I'd like to go to one that gives a good price for gems, do you know where it is?"

Anna thought for a moment and then suggested three places: Amabile, Datrias, and Rootpican.

"How do you know so much, Anna? You seem to know everything in the world."

"You're too kind."

Of course, she is probably an extra created by the author to avoid boring and uninteresting narratives, but I couldn't be happier to have a character by my side who knows the answer every time I ask her a question.

Who needs the internet? I have Anna!

"Let's go to Amabile first, then."

I circled the jewelry store with light steps. Luckily, the diamonds I brought out were of high quality, so I was able to get a much higher price than I expected.

The highest bidder was Datrias, but they said they could only pay by check, so I sold it to the next highest bidder, Amabile, for all cash.

"Let's go to the bank this time."

"The bank is right over there."

Anna pointed to a sturdy-looking building in the middle of the street.

'I wonder if this is how Harry Potter felt when he first visited the Gringotts Wizarding Bank?'

I thought back to the fantasy novels I'd enjoyed reading in my previous life as I walked through the bank's main entrance, lined with massive columns like a Greek temple, and stepped inside.

"Thank you for visiting the Central Bank of Mallen."

A man clad like a butler greeted me politely as I entered the bank.

Unlike the bank in my previous life, this one looked more like a library.

"Please tell me what brings you here, and I'll help you out."

"I'm here to make a safe in my name."

"I see, then this way."

I followed the man's lead to the teller's window, where the chairs were plush and luxurious, and the interior of the bank must have been equally so.

'Well, this is a bank for nobles.'

I looked around curiously and smiled at the teller's greeting.

"You want to open a safe deposit box?"

"Yes, sir. A safe in my name, one that only I can open."

"There are three types of safes. A small safe for 10 million sennas or less, a medium safe for 100 million sennas or less, and a large safe for more. Which one would you like me to open for you? By the way, starting with the medium-sized safe, we charge a maintenance fee in proportion to the amount you entrust to us."

I have just over 5 million sennas in cash from the jewelry exchange, and I have taken 4 million sennas from my savings cash.

I think I'll get to 10 million sennas in no time, and I don't need to pay the maintenance fee up front.

"I'll open a small safe for now, and we'll switch to a medium later."

"Okay, then please sign the opening agreement."

Nervous but nonchalant, I read the opening agreement carefully and then coolly signed it.

But I didn't forget to use a pseudonym, just in case.

Then I handed over 9 million sennas to be deposited in the safe.

It was a lot of money to me, but I wasn't surprised to see that it was nothing in the eyes of a bank employee who sees money every day.

"When you withdraw money, you will be asked a few questions to verify your identity, along with a password and a signature. If you get one wrong, you won't be able to withdraw the money, so don't forget your password."

"Okay. Thank you."

I walked out of the bank, feeling as grandiose as an elementary school kid with his first passbook.

I was relieved to find the last 300,000 sennas in my bag after opening the safe.

"Now let's go get something to eat, Anna."

Hungry, I headed toward Anna's recommended restaurant and was surprised to see a long line outside a dessert cafe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

284K 7.5K 170
After six years of war, my fiancé returned. With a woman and his child in tow. While saying that he couldn't leave her. The same irresponsible fiancé...
487K 15.5K 116
'I want to travel to a place unknown to the many...' It was a passing wish to the weary and tired Eugene and she'd not think it'd ever come to pass...
10.9M 253K 60
𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐄𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬 Enzo Mariano is known for being nothing but ruthless. He is feared by all in the Italian mafia. He kills on...
450K 10.1K 34
There are many Cliches in my school. The main four are the Jock, the Popular Girls, the Bullies, and the Nerds. Of course, I had to fall in the worst...