Gwi Owns the Night, Part 2

Bởi snicolina

Refer to Part 1 Xem Thêm

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
47
48
49
50

46

43 2 0
Bởi snicolina

INT. LIBRARY – DAY

HR entering from corridor as steward exits.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh, hello Lee Seong.

STEWARD
Hello, my lady. His Majesty is inside if you're looking for him.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you.

HR enters more happily and quickly. Gwi is pulling a book from the shelf but looks up as HR comes in. HR stands near Gwi.

HYE-RYUNG
(whispers)
Hello, dear.

GWI
Why are you whispering?

HYE-RYUNG
(still quiet, looks back at the door)
I don't want anyone to hear me calling you 'dear'.

GWI
I want everyone to hear
(loudly)
She called me 'dear'!

HYE-RYUNG
(reaches up and puts her hand over his mouth)
Shhhh!

GWI
(eyes light up, holds her hand in place and kisses her palm lovingly)
Were you looking for me?

HYE-RYUNG
No, I came to work on my history for the day.

GWI
Disappointing.

HR smiles, goes to sit down and begins looking through her materials.

HYE-RYUNG
Your Majesty, when will we see Soo-ji again? It would be nice if we could have her round for dinner or something similar soon.

GWI
(to the air)
Soo-ji-ya. Hye-ryung misses you. When can you drop in?

HR signalling that she didn't mean for Gwi to ask her straightaway. Gwi smiles this away.

GWI (CONT'D)
(to HR)
Will lunch do?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, that would be perfect.

GWI
(to the air)
Yes, she'll see you then.
(to HR)
That works out well. I have to go visit some more charges today so I'll leave when she arrives.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh, can't I go with you?

GWI
Not just yet, I think. A couple of them have rather difficult circumstances so I want to check them first before taking you. Not that you don't already have a wealth of experience with that sort of thing, but it can be difficult to watch and not act.

HYE-RYUNG
Okay, well take me soon. In the meantime,
(shuffling her books and papers)
I'm too distracted to work on history, I think. I'd rather get ready for Soo-ji.

GWI
If it was a distraction you wanted, I'm standing right here.

HYE-RYUNG
(smiling)
Yes, but guests come first.

HR passes him, walking to the door.

GWI
I don't like that rule. This is my palace. I come first. Come back!

HR laughs, running out into the corridor while Gwi walks quickly to catch up to her.

INT. NEW THRONE ROOM – DAY

SJ and HR sit eating at a small table laid for lunch.

HYE-RYUNG
You do something different to the work that Tae and Gwi do, right?

SOO-JI
Yes, they serve the gods by helping people. I serve the gods by helping demi-gods.

HYE-RYUNG
Did you choose that or are you doing a different type of work because you're special?

SOO-JI
(giggles)
Everyone is special. Different roles are not more or less in value and they certainly don't say anything to our usefulness or capacity. Did I choose it? Yes and no. I was given the role that I would have chosen if at the time I had known everything that the gods know.

HYE-RYUNG
Do you enjoy the work?

SOO-JI
(eyes light up)
It's fabulous. I am something like a mid-point between the gods and the demi-gods. So I get to help everyone like Gwi and Tae when they have problems, issues, requests, just anything really. And, of course, I have all the best brushes, ink and paper that you can imagine. I love writing supplies.

HYE-RYUNG
Me too!

SOO-JI
Oh, how marvellous. No one else seems to share my passion. I will bring you some the next time I come. You can see what I mean.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh my, we will be at it all day if you're able to stay. You will have to show me your calligraphy too. I prefer drawing because my calligraphy was never quite what my tutor hoped for. I will try to learn from your technique.
(pause, sighs)
I wish I could be like you and Gwi and Tae, helping people and helping gods. It feels so important and worthwhile.

SOO-JI
(puzzled)
What on earth can you mean by that? My dear, how could you do or be more than you've already done and are? Of course, you will do, you will be. But as yourself, as you grow and become more yourself, not someone else. You're a human, after all. You have just as much authority as the rest of us.

HYE-RYUNG
What authority do I have?

SOO-JI
(not having much experience with humans, can't believe she's the one telling HR something that's the most basic, fundamental truth in her world, laughs a bit)
What authority? Look around you. The sunlight is streaming in, the servants are humming with delight for the first time in hundreds of years, Gwi is more himself than I've ever known him to be. Let's give credit where it's due, it's Providence's doing. But you were the influence on the ground here. You were the tidal wave that made the first crack and came rushing in to eventually bring about the fall of the great empire of nothingness. Here, in this very place. Great God in the heights, Hye-ryung-a! Don't be envious of anyone else; you are already so much as you are.

Gwi walks in briskly.

GWI
Well, I like the sound of that. I feel as though I've missed out on all the fun here.

General flurry of moving and happiness to see Gwi. HR and SJ at the same time.

HYE-RYUNG
Hello, sire.

SOO-JI
Oh Gwi, I hope you're joining us.

GWI
(to HR, full of affection)
Hello, my dear.
(to SJ)
Actually, I would love to, but – I'm genuinely stunned, and thrilled, to say this – Hyeon has been calling to you for a while now. You must have been carried away having so much fun here that you didn't hear him.

SJ panics and looks like she's stopping to think for a moment.

SOO-JI
(to the air)
I'll be right there, Father.
(to HR)
I'm so sorry Hye-ryung. I have to dash. I will see you soon. Thank you for having me.

SJ disappears instantly. Gwi sits down next to HR and begins picking at the food.

HYE-RYUNG
What happened? Is something wrong?

GWI
(smiling)
Not at all. Soo-ji just isn't used to missing things. This might even be her first time. Hyeon wants her help with a job that he's working on. But you two must have been having quite a time together.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, I am so glad to have met her. I hope that she can visit more often.

GWI
Let me know any time you want me to call for her. The next time she comes maybe she can work on your communication links so you can call to her too. She's not a demi-god you can summon so she will have to build you a path herself.
(pause, reaches out to touch HR's face)
'Already so much as you are.' Yes, you certainly are.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

393 1 18
The prince vampire, about to be King, goes to earth to get blood but meets a beautiful boy. Are they fated love or enemies?
27.1K 1.3K 28
"𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚍𝚘 𝚠𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚖 𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞? 𝙳𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚞𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚊𝚞𝚝𝚒𝚏𝚞𝚕, 𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚕? 𝙾𝚞𝚛 𝚙𝚊𝚕𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚜𝚔𝚒𝚗, 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏�...
101 2 12
Same but part 2