Chapter 56: Recognition

Wylla had the urge to cry when she saw Rai enter the gardens with an entourage. After Azriel told her to leave, she sat on a stone bench surrounded by rose bushes and began to read a book. She had learned that hiding in plain sight was often the best method; no one paid attention to a little girl with her face buried in a book.

Just because she had a book, didn't mean she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings. Her eyes and ears were alert, she knew the queen was entering the garden as soon as her pretty little silk slipper hit the pavement.

Rai still had that blank look on her face; It reminded her of a story she had once read about an evil fae with the power to control corpses through magic dolls. It was one of Wylla's favorite books, but now that she was looking at Azriel's mate, the thought made her stomach twist. Poor Rai.

Wylla watched as servants gently nudged Rai until she was sitting on a bench in front of a little pond filled with ducks and golden fish. The queen's eyelids looked heavy and if Wylla didn't know the situation, she would have assumed Rai was just tired.

Rai's eyes drifted shut, her body slumped until her head rolled back and rested on the back of the bench. A servant quickly moved and placed a small pillow behind her head so that it wasn't touching the marble.

If she's sleeping now, did she not sleep last night? Wylla wondered. Maybe that's why I couldn't find her dreams. Then she realized, this was the perfect opportunity. All Wylla had to do was fall asleep and hop right into the queen's dreams. Easy as cake.

She yawned, trying to trick herself into believing she was tired and then she closed her eyes with her head propped up in her hand. Minutes passed of her trying to fall asleep but her mind just wouldn't shut up. The sun was too bright, people were talking too much, and she wasn't tired. It was frustrating her.

"Majesty, please sit," someone said in a panicked tone.

"I'll get you some water Queen Raisa."

"Isn't it a beautiful morning, Your Majesty?"

Wylla's right eye shot open. Surely she wasn't hearing correctly. Then she thought she couldn't be seeing correctly. Wylla rubbed both eyes to get a better look and sure enough, Rai was chugging a glass of water in desperation. She panted as she set the glass down and then stood up, using the nearest servant's shoulder for support.

Her mind is back, Wylla felt the relief flow through her. She hadn't realized how much the responsibility of bringing Rai's mind through the mirror scared her. It was a weight off her small shoulders.

Rai stumbled over her own feet as she tried pushing herself free from the servants who tried to sit her back down. Her brows pinched together with fear and her light eyes were filled with tears. The sight broke Wylla's heart, she didn't know this female but seeing her helpless and scared made Wylla want to run to her aid.

Wouldn't that be what Azriel would want? Wylla could winnow his mate out of there and he could go kill the king. It was simple. Almost too simple...

"Wylla?"

Wylla wasn't sure if she heard it right. The queen had spoken, her voice was raspy, but Wylla had to have misheard. There was no way that the queen knew her name. She had never met her before but Rai had said the girl's name with confusion and sadness- It reminded Wylla of her mother.

"Wylla," Rai was looking right at the young fae. Her mouth had fallen slightly open, her bottom lip trembled, and her eyes were now wide with recognition.

Time felt as though it had stilled as Wylla and Rai locked eyes. Neither seemed to breathe as if they were afraid a single breath would break the spell they fell under- it was at Wylla's slow exhale that the light faded from Rai's eyes. It was a sight that hit Wylla and threatened to send her into hysterics. She had seen people die before, her mom was a healer so death was nothing new, but this meant Wylla knew precisely what it meant to look into a pair of lifeless eyes- that's what it felt like looking into Rai's eyes.

How foolish of her to think things would be so simple. Victory had only shown itself to rip her off her feet and laugh in her face. It wasn't until fat drops of water landed on the pages of her book did Wylla realize she was crying.