Chapter 41: Whiplash

Raisa woke up from an odd dream as soft lips lightly touched hers. She kept her eyes closed but couldn't help the smile that formed on her lips as another kiss was placed on the tip of her nose and then her forehead.

"Azriel," she whispered his name, feeling the comfort of his presence. She was afraid to open her eyes though. Afraid that she would open them and he would disappear. Her hands explored while her eyes remained shut, feeling the stubble growing on his cheeks, his soft lips, his scarred hands, his wings. It was her Azriel.

"Rai," he whispered her name in a way that made her toes curl. He gently kissed her lips, "I have something for you."

She took a deep breath before opening her eyes. She didn't regret the decision as she looked into two beautiful hazel eyes. "Azriel," her smile wobbled. She missed him so much but she couldn't remember why she missed him.

He sat up and reached for a small box on his nightstand. She admired the muscles of his bare back for a second before he set the box in her lap. It was small enough to fit in the palm of her hand.

"You got me a gift?" Her smile took over her face. "What for?"

"Do I need a reason to get my mate a gift?" His voice was teasing.

Her fingers tugged at the wrapping on the gift. Anything could have been in the box and she would have still been happy because Azriel had thought of her. "Now I feel bad that I didn't get you something."

He rubbed her back, "You don't have to get me anything. I just saw it and it reminded me of your eyes so I got it. I meant to give it to you last night but you were already asleep by the time I got home."

She laughed, "And Cassian says you have no charm."

"We'll keep this between us," his laughter was light.

She hummed to herself as she opened the box. Inside the box shined a large emerald surrounded by diamonds and set in a gold band. The ring was stunning but what Raisa liked most about it was that the carvings in the gold band reminded her of the swirls of Azriel's tattoos.

"Do you like it?" Azriel asked, not sounding confident.

Her mouth hung open as she looked at him. "Do I like it?" She blinked, "I-" When words failed her, her body reacted. He laughed as she flung herself at him, wrapping her arms around him and covering his face with kisses.

"I love it," she couldn't stop smiling. The ring fit perfectly, she admired it on her hand. The stone was the exact color of her eyes. "Since I didn't get you anything. I'll accept this as a challenge."

"A challenge?" His eyebrows raised.

She nodded, "I'm going to find you a ring that reminds me of your eyes."

"I'd rather have one that reminds me of your eyes," he leaned in to kiss her with a smile.

She closed her eyes as she met his lips, "I love you."

"You love me?"

Her whole body tensed. It wasn't Azriel that spoke those words to her. She squeezed her eyes shut tighter. She was afraid this would happen.

"Look at me," Caius gripped her face.

Her eyes opened, they were filled with hatred. Azriel should have been sitting there, not him, but she wasn't surprised.

"Good girl," he shoved his thumb into her mouth. He cursed and ripped it out as she bit down. "Bitch," he slapped her.

"Don't put your nasty fingers in my mouth," she spit out the taste of him and smirked as it sprayed him in the face.