Chapter 46: Favor

Azriel waited for the moment that filthy piece of shit even thought about laying a hand on Rai. There was no way in hell he would stand back and let someone take advantage of his mate, it didn't matter if they were married or not, Caius would be dead. Azriel knew Rhys would understand.

Truthteller was in his right hand, he leaned in closer, listening through his shadows. Each minute that passed, Azriel's muscles tensed, but eventually and to the shadowsinger's disbelief, Caius started snoring.

"Keep to your side of the bed," Azriel grumbled and sheathed Truthteller. So long as Caius kept his hands to himself, Azriel would play nice.

Azriel didn't sleep at all that night. He couldn't. All night he listened to his shadows and made sure Rai wasn't in any danger. He was exhausted but there was no possible way he could fall asleep.

He stayed busy. The morning sun illuminated the papers he had laid out in front of him. They were all the letters he had received from Rai's friend "C". Looking over them, he could see where the writer may have unknowingly alluded to Rai's current state. Azriel shook his head, disappointed at himself for not realizing it sooner. And as if he didn't hate himself already.

He ran his hands through his hair and reminded himself that he didn't have time to self loath. Saving Rai was the only thing he should be thinking about. And to start, he had to get her alone. Doing this by himself would be a challenge, probably even impossible, but luckily he had one resource in Vallahan who may help him.

Each letter was worn from years of him folding and unfolding them, but what mattered was the words on the page. They would lead him back to "C", all he had to do was work his tracking magic.

Both cobalt Siphons on his hands glowed as he traced his fingers over the text. His magic coursed through the words until he could almost see them being written. Then he saw the pen and tatted hand that gave birth to those words. His shadows drew into himself on a long inhale, he held his breath and felt the presence of the writer, and on his exhale the shadows dispersed.

It only took twenty-two seconds before his shadows returned to him with the exact location of the one he was tracking.

Every single fae he passed stared at him as he walked through a busy outdoor market. It wasn't like he was the only lesser fae at the market anyways; he didn't even spot a single high fae. Guess they've never seen an Illyrian before, he walked faster.

He ended up outside of a building with a display of fabrics for sale outside. A tall green fae female helped a trio of customers and didn't notice as Azriel slipped inside the building. He continued up narrow flights of stairs, soundlessly passing by rooms full of cheerful people until he finally came to his destination.

The door was already cracked open. Someone humming a soft melody came from inside the room. They didn't even notice as he entered.

The fae had been alone, sitting on a stool and weaving a pearl-like fabric. The fae was clearly not high fae but not entirely of lesser fae blood. He could smell human. Human and maybe ashray. The fae's skin was covered in tattoos but the skin underneath almost had a translucent effect.

The fae, who Azriel believed was "C", noticed him with a startle.

Azriel could sense the fae's fear as they stood up from the stool with a challenging smirk and inched towards a lute. "I didn't realize I would be entertaining a guest this morning," their voice was raspy.

Azriel put his hands up, showing he meant no harm, "I'm looking for someone."

The fae picked up the lute and casually sat back down. They plucked the strings as if the sound brought them comfort and scanned Azriel up and down. "I'm someone, but am I the right someone? I've never seen you before this moment."

Pluck. Pluck.

Azriel twitched at the sound. He narrowed his eyes at the rune covered instrument. He reached into his pocket and pulled out one of the letters, unfolding it and showing it to the fae.

They showed no reaction, "Is that supposed to mean something to me?"

Pluck. Pluck.

Azriel scratched the back of his neck, "I tracked it back to you."

"Did you?" Their lips curled teasingly.

The plucking of the strings picked up into a melody and as soon as Azriel took a step forward, he was dropping to his knees and face planting. He tried to move, but his whole body was paralyzed.

The faster the tune went, the faster Azriel's heartbeat slammed against his chest. "I'm the shadowsinger," he growled.

"Prove it."

Shadows exploded from him, filling the room with complete darkness and the cries and songs the shadows carried with them. As soon as the tune stopped, he could move. He jumped up to his feet and ripped the instrument from the fae's grasp. He still didn't call his shadows to return to him, he could practically taste the other fae's fear.

"Stop it," the fae whispered. "Please stop it."

Light leaked from the windows and chased the shadows back into Azriel. He raised a brow at the fae asking, believe me now?

"I had to make sure you didn't just intercept the letters," the fae took a calming deep breath. "I have a long list of those who want me dead, but if you're looking for the one that wrote those letters, you found me. I'm Chaaya."

He handed the lute back to Chaaya. After five years of receiving their letters, Azriel finally knew their name. "I'm Azriel."

Chaaya hid a smile and scanned Azriel up and down, "The Queen's mate?"

He hummed the answer and pulled up a stool for him to sit down on, "But you may call me Azriel."

Chaaya sat cross-legged on the stool, "And to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I'm sightseeing," he looked out the window.

Chaaya scoffed, "No, I think you grew impatient."

His eyes shifted to Chaaya, who shrugged and continued, "Don't worry. I won't judge you. Honestly, I don't know how you went five years apart. I can barely go a day without seeing my mate."

"Part of the reason we were able to spend five years apart was because I believed she was okay and that she just needed more time," his tone was sharp.

Chaaya eyes filled with concern, "But she is okay."

Azriel slowly shook his head.

The stool Chaaya had been sitting on was suddenly shattering against the wall. Azriel watched as they ran their hands through their short black hair. Chaaya's composure was lost.

"I have an informant in the castle," Chaaya paced the room. "I trusted her. We've been meeting in person and each time she told me that Raisa was doing okay. Maybe acting a little odd, but my informant never mentioned anything bad happening to the queen, I swear it."

That's the thing that confused Azriel; Rai wasn't okay, did no one else notice?

"I didn't mean to get you worked up," Azriel said calmly. "Nor make you suspicious of your informant. I saw Raisa yesterday... To anyone else her behavior may just seem odd, but as her mate I know something is wrong. I need to get her out of there."

"She still hasn't killed the king," Chaaya leaned against the wall with crossed arms.

"Fuck the king, I'll kill him myself if I have to but I'm getting my mate out of there first," even thinking about that son of a bitch made Azriel's blood boil.

"I like you," Chaaya smirked. "So what's the favor you came here for?"

Azriel didn't let his amusement show. He could see Rai getting along with this fae; Chaaya cut right to the point.

"Get me alone with Raisa. No guards. No entourage. No king." That's the favor.

Chaaya gave him a cat-like smile and extended an ink-covered hand, "And in return, you have three days to kill King Caius."

Azriel took the hand, "Deal."