Chapter 15: Want to die

Raisa was reminded of what it felt like to be alive as she dodged the two headed creature once more. Her heart slammed so hard in her chest she feared it would burst out and roll to her feet. It was an exhilarating feeling; one that brought a smile to her face and turned her cheeks red.

    "You didn't get to see what I can do the other day," the dry leaves under her feet helped her skid under the other head that struck for her like the overgrown snake it was. "I don't want to kill you. I just need some venom."

    The creature had been furious to see her. A small black flame had erupted from her right hand and it hissed as she shot a burst at the nearest head. Not a second later, the creature was on the ground with teeth ready to sink into the Queen.

    For her plan to work, she needed a clear head- which would be hard to do with the creature striking at her at the speed of lighting. This is a test of level-headedness, she thought as she rounded a tree and watched a head zip past her only to come to a sudden halt and snap back to bite her.

It's teeth stuck into the tree where she had been right before she winnowed away. If her husband was in her shoes, he would have cut the beast's head off right there without remorse. But she wasn't her husband- didn't even want to be like him. She could have easily sent the Void- a magical weapon thin enough to cut the beast with the wave of her hand- but that would be cruel. She didn't seek it out to kill it.

    One of the beast's heads was still stuck in the tree as she watched from a distance a flash of blue light. Azriel, she knew it was him. The light hit the other head of the creature hard enough to twist its body grotesquely.

    "No!" A scream ripped through Raisa as the creature let out a heartbreaking sound.

    Azriel was nothing but wings and shadows to her left. She gave him a single glance before looking back at the twisted creature.

    "We're leaving," he grabbed her arm and pulled.

    She jerked her arm out of his grasp. She didn't want him here. Why did he have to follow her? "Not yet."

    His hazel eyes were honey in the reflection of the moon. They made her heart soften despite the nausea in her stomach. "It's going to be even more pissed when it gets up," he said through clenched teeth.

    "Then go. I'm fine without your help."

    His eyes darted between her and the creature as it twitched and stirred. "Let's. Go."

    The sound of wood snapping caused both their heads to jerk. The creature made horrible sounds as it untwisted itself.

    "Round two," Rai smirked at the shadowsinger. "Either leave or watch-"

    Azriel lunged for her. If she hadn't been paying attention to the beast, she would have dodged him. Instead, Azriel threw her over his shoulder as if she weighed nothing; wind smacked her in the face as they winnowed.

    "Let go of me," she had tried to sound commanding but instead sounded like a bratty little girl. She grabbed his shoulder and pushed herself hard enough that he let go. She grunted as her back and head slammed into the ground.

    They were still in the woods. They couldn't have gone far, so that was good.

    "What were you thinking?" Azriel stood over her.

    She climbed to her feet, recognizing he had winnowed them back to the cave Bryaxis had been staying in. She didn't say anything to Azriel as she turned her back and marched in the direction of the beast.

    She slammed into a wall- Azriel. She groaned, shoving past him only to feel his hand on her shoulder. "Don't touch me," she snapped as she spun to look Azriel in the eyes.

    He looked as though she had hit him.

    "Do you want to die?" The question was soft on his lips. She wasn't sure if it was a threat or a genuine question.

    She took a step closer to him until they were sharing the same air and gave him one of the smiles she knew made his blood boil. Her eyes didn't leave his shadow filled eyes for a moment. It was almost as if she knew exactly what he was thinking and could let him know what she felt. That feeling was confidence in herself.

    "Fine." He slowly brought his head down until she felt his breath warm in her ear. "But when you're screaming in pain and begging for mercy I want you to remember that you did this to yourself."

Please vote and comment:)