Chapter 45: Empty shell

On his way to Vallahan, Azriel was plagued with thoughts of Rai suffering. These thoughts fueled him to go faster, push himself harder, and lay out plans where the two of them get out without causing too many problems. And in each of these plans, the damned king dies. It would be Azriel's pleasure.

By the time he arrived at the Vallahan castle, he had expected Rai to be imprisoned somewhere. Perhaps even confined to her room and tortured.

He checked her bedroom first and found Rai wasn't there. The room had barely changed in the five years since he had last seen it; the curtains still kept the room devoid of light, her tea set held a layer of dust, the furniture was still tacky, and even the same bottle of red wine on her dresser was full. It was all... strange.

He half expected her to walk through the door like she had last time. He would fade into the shadows as she ignited her lamps. He'd watch her for a moment, struck by her beauty and then he would step out of the shadows and she would be in his arms once again.

Everything would be okay as long as they were together.

But the thing was, Rai didn't walk into the room. He waited and waited until his nerves were too much. She was so close, he could feel it in the thread that connected his soul to hers. Its presence was brighter than it had ever been in all these five miserable years.

He couldn't wait. He had to see her.

His shadows moved through the castle like a pack of hunting dogs. He felt the presence of dark magic absorbed into the walls, guards stationed everywhere, and the tension of silence. There was one room though, that his shadows refused to go near.

He grinded his teeth and continued to push his shadows further out, hoping he would find Rai somewhere else. If he had to, he would go into that room, but he got a really bad feeling about what was behind that door.

And then, like a single sunflower in a field of weeds, he felt Rai. He clutched his chest with a shaking hand and told himself to calm down. Every instinct urged him to go to her, but he made a promise to Rhys. He would think rationally.

She was in no immediate danger, his shadows sang to him, she was outside in the gardens and surrounded by people. He felt no pain, no fear, no suffering.

Did Wylla lie to him?

Rai would be pissed if this was all a part of her plan and he showed up and ruined it or rushed her. But he had to see her to truly believe she was alright. For five year this "friend of a friend, C" had been telling him that Rai was okay, he had to see it with his own eyes.

He slipped into the shadows of the garden and scanned the small crowd of aristocrats and guards. He got a glimpse of long glossy black hair behind a guard and he just knew that was his Rai. After five years, he was finally seeing her again. He just wished the damned guard would move the fuck out of the way so he could see the rest of her.

Finally, the guard moved from view and Azriel's heart skipped a beat. Seeing Rai for the first time in five years was like color had finally returned to Azriel's grey world. She was beautiful as always, her hair was longer and in loose waves, her skin clear of bruises, her posture was perfect. It was his Rai.

She sat on the ledge of a little man-made pond and silently watched as children giggled while feeding the fish and ducks. There was something off about her though... Her face was expressionless, her eyes shadowed from sleepless nights, and her lips were slightly parted. She stared at the water as if she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings.

For a long time, she didn't move. It made Azriel extremely uncomfortable. He couldn't tell if she was sad or if she had always been like this in her role as Queen. This wasn't the Rai he knew, the one that teased him with her enchanting smile and stubbornness.

Rai didn't move until two female faes in matching uniforms guided her to her feet and walked with her, supporting her on both sides. Rai... she just stared straight forward. Her face remained blank.

All Azriel wanted to do was find Caius and bash his brains in. Azriel knew that the king did something to his mate, something that turned her into an empty shell. But listening to his anger had to come second, getting Rai out safely was his priority and at the moment, she was surrounded by guards and entourage. He could kill them all, but it was those who would follow after him and Rai that concerned him.

His shadows followed her, keeping watch and listening as he stayed hidden outside of the castle. He collected as much information as he could.

First, King Caius was in the castle. Secondly, he rebuilt a new council. And lastly, no one found Rai's behavior out of the ordinary. She ate dinner with a group of ladies, was pampered head-to-toe by servants, and took a walk through the gardens one last time before being taken to her room. Through all of it, Rai did not say a single word, she moved only when someone guided her to move, and no hint of emotion changed her face.

It was a different kind of suffering. One that didn't show with cuts and bruises but nonetheless, just as painful. Maybe even more.

Azriel would wait for her to be alone, then he would speak with her. He had hoped that when the servants and guards brought her to her bedroom and turned on the lamps, they would leave after they helped her into bed. Instead, three guards stood at her window, two at her door, and one servant sat at the table.

Had this all changed after the time Azriel left? Did Caius find out and post guards at her room so no one could sneak in? Or was this just extra precaution after the lords were killed? Or was it Montesere's threats against Vallahan that lead to more guards protecting the queen? All these possibilities floated around in Azriel's head.

The castle was swarming with guards and he knew backup would arrive quickly if he confronted the guards in Rai's room. His best option would be to get in quick and winnow out of there with Rai before anyone noticed.

That was his plan... Until King Caius entered the room and slipped into her bed. 

A/N: If you've finished Darling in the Franxx (spoiler alert if you haven't), Raisa in this chapter was inspired by Zero Two's mortal state while she was on earth and her mind was in space;)