Chapter 63: Wouldn't you agree

Azriel couldn't believe Wylla actually did it. He owed the little fae a life debt because she had done what he almost believed to be impossible; she got Rai out of the mirror. He had to admit, he doubted Wylla a couple times but he would make sure to never doubt the little beast again.

Rai was back. This was real and she was truly out of the mirror. She had climbed out of bed and poured herself a glass of water as if seeing Caius and Azriel fighting in her bedroom was banal. He was so happy to see her back to herself that he stopped worrying about the loss of his shadows, the wraiths and lightsinger, and even Caius. All of those things were simple obstacles when she was by his side. He could do anything.

His emotions almost took control and he had to stop himself from shoving away Caius and winnowing Rai out of this place as fast as he could. But it was Rai's own calmness that helped him stay calm, her only worry in the world seemed to be hydrating and something else not in this room that caused a line to form between her brows. Besides that, she seemed to be in complete and utter control.

What happened to you in the mirror? This Rai... it was his Rai but he could feel her grief and confusion as if it were his own. He wanted to wrap her in his arms and fly her far away from this place.

Azriel was still in disbelief as his mate demanded the lightsinger return his shadows and leave. Sinna didn't even listen to Caius when he told her no, it must be because Rai's royal blood outranked him or maybe Sinna was smart enough to listen to the one who would survive at the end of the day.

The relief of having his shadows back was indescribable. He feared they had been lost forever but with Sinna gone, they cautiously returned to him. That's when he snapped. All that was standing between him and his mate was Caius. Azriel was running off of pure adrenaline as he landed a blow to Caius' face- his vision was still spotty but it was more than enough with his shadows' aid.

Azriel was numb to the pain of having his arm sliced open by Caius' magic. It hurt like a bitch at first, but he quickly forgot about it. He was ready to go for Caius' throat when Rai spoke, his blind rage quieted at her calm demeanor. She looked ready to fall asleep on the couch, between rubbing her eyes and blinking herself awake, she threatened Caius.

Rai had to be playing some kind of mind game; Azriel couldn't believe her when she said she didn't care if he died. She was an excellent liar and they were mates, of course she cared. Azriel figured that she was telling Caius this so that he would stop fighting Azriel. Caius liked reactions and Rai clearly wasn't going to give him one.

Azriel stood back and watched as Caius took a seat with Rai. The couple talked as if Azriel wasn't even in the room, which Azriel was used to, but it made him wonder what Rai's plan was- she clearly was the one pulling the strings. Azriel had said he would help her, this was her plan originally, so for now he would sit back and watch her plan come together.

"He dies, you die. But you might want to hear what I have to say because I've learned a few things you would love to know," Rai had told Caius.

Caius leaned towards Rai with a ghost of a smile Azriel wanted to knock off, "I'm listening."

Rai smiled back before rising from the couch and making her way back over to the dresser for another drink. She refilled her water and then opened up a bottle of wine. She poured a single glass of wine, swirled the contents around, gave it a sniff, and then handed it over to Caius before returning to her seat on the couch.

"You're not going to offer your lover a glass?" Caius smirked at Azriel as he took a sip of the wine. "In case you've forgotten, he's standing right there. Don't be rude, dear."

Rai's eyes slid to Azriel with little interest. He could feel a wall between them, he loved her so much and yet he felt none of that returned in her eyes. Was she that good of an actor or did she no longer care for him?