Chapter 1: Linked

"You're too predictable." Azriel threw his knife into a tree that hid a ten year old fae girl.

Usually Wylla would come sulking out from behind the tree, making excuses of how he knew which tree she was behind, but instead he heard a laugh from behind a completely different tree. "Fooled you," she jumped out from behind the tree.

It was rare for Azriel to be shocked, but he was impressed by his little apprentice. Or would he call her his ward? Wylla had appeared in the inner circle's lives one starfall night. She had fallen out of the sky like a star in the form of an owl. At first, they considered putting the creature out of its misery then they realized it was a six year old high fae girl.

It was Azriel's responsibility to find her home but no matter how hard he searched, he couldn't find this place the little girl called "Adarlan". They all thought the little fae was confused about the name of her home but as time passed, Azriel believed that she had fallen from another world.

Amren confirmed it. She knew Wylla wasn't cut from the cloth of this world. Wylla looked high fae but there were things that didn't match. Her scent, her unfamiliar accent, her magic, and the way she talked about life.

Wylla lived with Mor but for some odd reason, made a habit of following Azriel. He was used to having shadows, one more wouldn't hurt him.

"I'm the one that feeds you and buys all your pretty dresses, why is he your favorite? Aren't you scared of him?" Mor had once asked the six year old.

Wylla didn't seem to have a fear in the world, especially as she looked to Azriel and shrugged, "I've seen scarier. My Aunt Aelin or Uncle Rowan wouldn't even break a sweat killing you."

Azriel laughed. He seriously doubted it.

Wylla had an ability to shift into an owl. She had been living with Mor for a little over a year when the little fae started to feel more comfortable and even chased after the Illyrians in the sky. Azriel accepted the responsibility of caring for her when Wylla would fly away from Mor's home and to the House of Wind. She claimed she "liked the view".

Part of the view was the High Lord and Lady's riverside home, including a view of the youngest son's, Nyxous, window. Azriel often caught Wylla smiling as she leaned over the balcony and watched the light flicker on and off in some made up code shared between the two.

Amren tried to figure out how to get the girl home too, but they eventually all lost hope. Wylla was stuck with them, so Mor and Azriel shared the responsibility of making sure she was taken care of and safe.

No matter how hard he tried not to think of it, Azriel couldn't help but link the appearance of someone from another world to a certain someone else. He mentioned it to Amren once and she laughed it off, telling him his head was too wrapped around her, but he couldn't shake the idea. Something big had to have happened to momentarily open a gate between his world and Wylla's.

Something big. Chaotic. Dangerous. He could feel it in his bones, like strings connecting. Hear it in the whispers that traveled from the east. The shadows that sang horrendous cries of something evil shattering. And then Wylla appeared. It had to be linked together.

The strings all tied back to one person. His mate. 

Please Vote and Comment:)