Chapter 66: It lies

Raisa couldn't hear past the rushing of blood in her ear. This anger she felt burned in her lungs and traveled through her body like acid. All she could think about was ripping Harani into shreds. Or maybe she would smother the lady's face into the scattered glass on the floor.

Seeing Wylla's small body limp on the floor in a pool of blood was a first. In all her time in the mirror, Raisa had experienced the death of her mother, her mate, her unborn child, and even her own death- but she had never imagined witnessing the death of the little girl she had vowed to protect and watched grow into a beautiful young lady.

"I'm so sorry, Your Majesty. Sinna was going to kill my son," Harani was pleading on her hands and knees. Raisa didn't care. She felt no empathy- only rage.

Raisa slammed into the ward of the doorway with her shoulder taking the brunt of the force- It held strong. She slammed her fist into it, cringing as her knuckles split. She didn't feel the pain, not when Wylla was so close yet out of reach.

"I'm so sorry," Harani kept crying and mumbling- it only made Raisa angier. "They took my son, they were going to kill him."

"I don't care," Raisa dug her nails into the ward and pulled as if it was a sheet of fabric she could rip apart. It didn't budge but she knew she would get through eventually. She took a step back, panting. "I'm going to get into that room one way or another, Harani, and the longer it takes, the madder I'll get. So do yourself a favor and come out now."

"You'll kill me."

That thought had definitely crossed Raisa's mind. What kind of monster was capable of harming the sweetest little girl Raisa had ever met? This couldn't be happening- this was the mirror's doing. Another sick and twisted trick meant to break Raisa.

Raisa didn't realize she was crying until she felt Azriel's warmth at her back. Her fist was bloody from the damned ward that held tight. She blamed her tears on the frustration- Wylla needed her and yet she couldn't get to her.

Azriel's calmness steadied her as he placed a hand on her shoulder. She could feel the sadness that didn't show on his face; he cared for Wylla just as much as she did. Raisa looked away from her mate and back to Harani with pleading eyes, her bottom lip trembling.

It was Azriel, his voice was smooth and filled with command, that said, "Bring us the girl."

Raisa held back a sob as she watched Harani lift Wylla's limp body into her arms. The Lady hesitated at the doorway, looking to Raisa to determine if she could trust her. Once Harani saw that the rage was replaced with despair, she held Wylla out for Azriel to take.

Azriel delicately held her pale body in his arms, his face remained blank as he lifted her head and let it fall against his chest- she almost looked as if she was sleeping. He brushed away the hair on her forehead, tucking it behind her and then trailing his fingers over her eyelids and closing them.

She's just sleeping, Raisa told herself. She knew it was a lie; the bleeding had stopped, there was no heartbeat, she wasn't breathing.

Azriel stood still for a moment and then his eyes suddenly went wide. He dropped to his knees, resting Wylla on the ground, and then he placed his hands over her chest and pushed. "Come on," he whispered, still trying to get her heart to beat. Raisa's mind detached as she watched him. He was so determined and for what? Wylla was dead and it was all Harani's fault.

Glassy green eyes shifted up. Harani was still standing in the room- protected by the ward- she looked worried yet hopeful as she watched Azriel. That anger returned and Raisa's shoe bounced off Harani's head, the other one went next and hit Harani in the chest. Raisa needed more to throw, she searched around- gods she was so angry- she ripped the lute from Sinna's grasp and threw as hard as she could, almost roaring as Harani dodged it.