Chapter 39: Alive and healthy

Almost a year had passed since Azriel had last seen Rai. This was the second letter he received about his mate.

Dear Spymaster Azriel of the Night Court,

I write to you with interesting news. All the Lords of Vallahan have mysteriously died in the course of a night. Rumors say a beast slaughtered them while others say it was mass suicide. I'm not sure what to believe but I don't doubt that our mutual friend has a hand in their deaths. It is interesting... As for the king, he is sadly still alive. I'm quite annoyed about it. If anyone should have died that night, it should have been the kind and gentle King Caius. Annoyingly, I hear that the King is doing fine these days.

Now onto the queen, I'm sure you want to hear about her. She's completely fine. A friend of mine works in the palace and said she saw Queen Raisa sitting in the gardens the other day. Though, my friend did say the Queen has been more quiet and absentminded than she usually is but I'm sure it is nothing to worry about. The Queen is alive and healthy and the Lords are dead, that's what matters.

A friend of a friend,

C

It scared him that the King was still alive and the Lords were dead. Azriel had the feeling Rai's plan failed but what mattered was that she was alive and well. He trusted her enough to achieve her goal even if she had to move to plan B. She was his mate after all, of course she would have a backup plan.

She'll be home soon, Azriel thought as he folded the note and tucked it into his pocket.