Chapter 35: Happy letter

Dear Spymaster Azriel of the Night Court,

I hope this message finds you well. A friend of yours recently came to me, I'm sure you can assume who it was as I doubt a male from the Night Court has many friends in Vallahan, and asked me to write to you. Although, I am not quite sure what to write as I have no idea who you are but I will keep my promise to your mysterious friend. She asked me to inform you about how the Queen was doing, for she cannot do it herself with so many watchful eyes in her home.

Last time I saw the Queen, which was five months ago, her face was nicely bruised but she seemed to be healing fine. I can only guess the bruises came from her husband. The King has been away ever since; first he tried to handle a rebel problem in an outer city and now he is negotiating with the King of Montersere. Even I don't know why our King would wish to speak with Montersere but I have been working to find out. At least the Queen can catch a break away from the fair and gentle King Caius. That was sarcasm if you couldn't tell.

I've taken some time before writing this letter because not much has happened. I hear the Queen is well and sticks to her daily activities of lounging and court gossip. I will keep you updated and write to you again if anything changes. If I hear she is unwell, in danger, or even if I hear anything out of the ordinary. I am guessing the Queen means something to you.

A friend of a friend,

C

Azriel smoothed his finger over the last sentence as his chest tightened. Half a year passed without his mate and the emptiness he felt didn't go away. This letter was the first he had heard about Rai in a long time. Some days he felt like she never existed, like she was just a ghost that passed through his life and left a hole in his heart.

This letter was proof that she existed. She hadn't forgotten about him and she was still alive. He let himself smile for the first time in months.

"A happy letter?" Elain asked curiously as she unpotted a plant and gently placed it in the ground.

Azriel folded the letter and stuffed it into his pocket before moving on to dig the next hole for Elain to fill with the new flowers she bought. He gave her a nod, "She's alive."

That was all Azriel had to say for Elain's face to light up with a smile. "Your—?" She let the question hang in the air.

He nodded. "The letter is from a friend of hers. They said they'd write to me if anything bad happens and keep me updated."

Elain shook her head with a smile, smoothing the dirt around the plant. "You can be so negative sometimes, Azriel. I don't know how many times I have to tell you I see your future filled with love and happiness. She's going to be okay, it's going to take time, but you two will be okay."

Elain had told him this many times. It was part of the reason he didn't go back to Vallahan and kidnap Rai in the middle of the night. Elain was a seer, she could see glimpses of the future and if she said everything was going to be okay, he believed her. She wasn't the kind to lie.

"We'll be okay," he told himself and took a deep breath. That tie he felt deep in his chest he knew connected himself to Rai was still there, even if it was nothing but a sliver of thread. He trusted Elain, he trusted Rai, and for some reason he trusted this "friend of a friend".

He silently let time pass without worrying himself to death.