Chapter 44: Kidnap the Queen

Four Years Later

In the four years Azriel has known Wylla, he had never once mentioned Rai to the little fae. It wasn't that Rai was a secret, he just wasn't sure how to explain to someone who idolized mates that his own mate left him without making Rai look cruel. He already knew what the Inner Circle thought about his mate. They disfavored her and pitied him. He didn't need that from a little girl as well, Rai would come back eventually.

So hearing Wylla ask about his mate after waking up with a fever caught Azriel off guard. He shot a disappointing look at Nyxous.

The little replica of Rhys's eyes widened, "I didn't say anything to her."

"Nyx," Azriel sighed, "I'm not mad-"

"He didn't tell me," Wylla raised her voice, regaining Azriel's attention. "You know how I can go into other people's dreams? I can't really control it that well, but that's what happened."

Azriel's face softened as he squatted beside the bed and met Wylla's sapphire eyes, "What did you see?"

Wylla inhaled deeply, "I was in an old castle. Brick build. Furniture was carved brown wood with green, black, and silver fabric accents. There was a hall lined with doors on both sides and the twelfth door I tried to open-"

"Wait a second," Nyxous cut her off and squinted his eyes suspiciously. "You remembered all of that from a dream?"

She picked up the pillow beside her and threw it at him, "You made me lose my train of thought, and yes, I remembered all of that. Azriel tells me at least once a day to remember the little details."

"Twelfth door. Go on," Azriel demanded. He was already connecting the information to what he knew about the Vallahan castle. Their colors were dark green, black, and silver, and all the other details matched. He needed to know more.

"A monster shot out of the twelfth door. It tried to get me to come inside but it chased me when I ran away. It was the one that told me to tell the shadowsinger to come get his mate," Wylla looked down at her hands nervously. "You're the only shadowsinger I know and from your reaction, I'm guessing she's your mate. The high fae with the green eyes."

"Raisa," Azriel blinked. He knew Wylla was a good liar, he had taught her himself, but he trusted she was telling the truth. "Did you see her?"

Wylla couldn't meet his eyes but she nodded. It was her next words that had all the blood draining from Azriel's face.

"She's suffering."

Nyxous lunged for the shadowsinger, gripping onto his arm, "Azriel, no."

Azriel had never wanted to hurt a child more than he did in that moment. Rai was suffering and there was nothing that was going to stop him from going to her. The eleven-year-old's grasp slipped as Azriel pulled his arm away.

"Think about this first," Nyxous followed him out of the room and down the stairs. "Don't just rush in there and kidnap the Queen. Vallahan's military is the strongest it has been in centuries after the lords died and Montrese's threats. You have to be careful."

Azriel spun around, his cold face had Nyxous' eyes widening in fear and taking a step back. "You're starting to sound like a High Lord," he lowered to the heir's level, feeling his breathing quicken. "But one day you will understand that you should never come between a male and his mate."

Nyxous kept his chin up and narrowed his lips, "And you should understand by now that I will always do what I can to protect my court."

Azriel waited for the boy's next move, curious yet still fuming with anger.

"DAD!" Nyxous screamed.

"Fuck."

"DAD!"

Rhys winnowed into the living room, looking ready to murder anyone who threatened his youngest son. He took a calming breath once he saw Nyxous wasn't in danger. "What's wrong?" Rhys came up to his son and brushed back his fluff of black hair.

"Azriel is going to kidnap the Queen of Vallahan," Nyxous used his father to shield himself from the shadowsinger swarming with angry shadows.

"I am not kidnapping her," Azriel glared at the kid then looked up at Rhys. "She's in danger. I'm going to go save her."

Rhys huffed out a single laugh that turned into a smirk as he picked up his son and threw him over his shoulder. "Finally," he turned around and began to walk up the stairs. Nyxous was looking at Azriel with confusion as he hung over his father's shoulder. "I trust you, but I do suggest one thing," Rhys stopped at the top of the stairs and looked back. He gave Azriel a wink, "Don't make a mess that I'll have to clean up."

Please vote and comment:)