Chapter 49: You promised

Azriel was sitting on the roof while Harani let Rai and her servants in. His shadows listened as the servants sat Rai down and made her tea, blowing on it until it was cool enough for the queen. He was afraid that the servants wouldn't leave, but Harani easily slipped into the role of a demanding lady and told them to get out.

As soon as the door closed behind the servants, Azriel was winnowing back into the room. Not a second would be wasted.

"Rai," his voice cracked at the sight of her sitting on the couch. He was across the room and falling to his knees in front of her in an instant.

His relief was short-lived. She didn't even blink at the sight of him, her green eyes stared straight over his head. She looked lifeless... she was breathing but Azriel didn't even feel like the bond in his chest connected to the female in front of him.

"Rai," his hands cupped her cheeks. She didn't look at him. "Rai," his voice was more stern. He said her name over and over again as his hands traveled to her shoulders and then her hands. He gently shook her and squeezed her, but she didn't react.

Azriel hadn't even realized he was shaking. This wasn't good. No, it didn't matter that five years had passed, his Rai would have reacted in some way. Whether it was hugging him back or mocking him. He would have accepted anything over this.

It was like she was dead.

He swallowed the lump in his throat as he climbed onto the couch beside her and pulled her onto his lap and into his arms. Each breath was shaky as he held her close but he refused to cry. He would fix this. She wasn't dead.

"I'm sorry," Harani said through her own tears.

Azriel didn't acknowledge the lady, he was too focused on cradling Rai. He tucked her hair behind her ears, kissed her forehead and cheeks, and whispered to her that he was with her.

"Come back to me, Rai," he touched his forehead to hers. "Please, come back to me. You promised me. You said you would come back. Please, Rai, please."

A single tear finally rolled down his cheek and landed on her own cheek. His heart turned to stone, he shut his feelings off, and calmed himself as he tried to figure out his next steps.

The only thing he could think of was confronting Caius and figuring out what happened to his mate so that he could fix her. Until then, he would hold Rai and try to enjoy this moment with her.

"She's probably thirsty," Harani picked up a cup of tea and carefully brought it over to Azriel. His face was blank as he took it. "If you put it up to her lips and pour a bit in, she'll swallow it."

Azriel did as he was told and watched the liquid move down Rai's throat as she swallowed it. At least she had that motor skill, which was a small relief.

"Why are you helping us?" Azriel asked Harani as he handed the tea cup back. He asked partly because he needed something to distract himself from the lack of life in Rai's eyes and the pain in his chest. He didn't look down as he held Rai and gently stroked swirls around her face; he imagined she had fallen asleep in his arms.

Harani smiled down at Rai, "Well, to be honest, I didn't really like the queen when I first met her. I thought she was just like the rest of them, full of themselves and heartless when it came to humans." The lady pulled a pillow to her chest and hugged it close. Her voice wobbled, "I was in love with a human that my family had kept as a servant... My husband and the king made an event once they found out. There was a whole audience, including the queen, as they gave my lover ten-seconds to try to outrun my husband's crossbow."

Harani wiped away her tears, "I was heartbroken and hated everyone."

Azriel suddenly remembered the child in the other room, "Was your child sired by the human?"

The lady snorted, "No, I was in love with a woman. But, that's my reason for joining the rebellion; because while humans die off as quickly as flowers, their lives still matter." Harani smiled at the queen again, "I started to like the queen when I found out she was aiding the rebellion. I liked her even more once she made me a widow."

Azriel hummed in understanding.

Harani continued, "I doubt I was born to do great things, but if I can help someone else accomplish great things, then that's what I'll do."

"Thank you for helping us," Azriel held Rai tighter. He wished he could give the lady more and maybe one day he would. It meant the world to him that he was able to hold Rai once again, even if she wasn't herself.

"You don't have to thank me," Harani shook her head. "I feel like I let her down."

He placed another kiss on Rai's forehead, "I'm thankful that I get to see her. I'll get her out of here, take her somewhere safe, then I'll come back and take care of my end of the deal."

"I think that's a good idea," Harani said. "Find some healers that work with the mind and help her get better."

"I don't think that's a very good idea."

Azriel hadn't even heard her sneak into the room. He blamed it on being distracted by the situation, but just as he had taught her over the past four years, Wylla had tracked him and hid without him even noticing.

Sneaky little bastard, Azriel was caught between being proud and angry. It was at Wylla's next words that he decided he was proud.

"Her mind is lost in a mirror," Wylla said with confidence. "And I think I know how to get it out."