Chapter 33: And remember

Raisa walked down a long corridor with a trail of ladies whispering behind her. They silenced as Raisa paused and looked at them over her shoulder.

"Lady Harini," Raisa gave her a cool gaze. "Walk by my side."

Harini looked to the other ladies before stepping forward and curtseying to the Queen. Raisa looped her arm through the lady's and pulled her until there was a large gap between them and her entourage.

Raisa could feel the anxiety rolling off Harini. She was the youngest of the Ladies and had married the Lord of Wheat only last year, giving him a son two months ago. She was young and new, which only meant she was looking to rise in court at any opportunity. What better way than to have the ear of the Queen.

"I wanted to ask you how your son was," Raisa gave her a warm smile.

Harini's face lit up with a smile, "He's a little beast but I absolutely adore him."

"I'm sure Lord Daksh adores him as well."

Harini nodded looking toward the carriages that were being packed as they came to the courtyard. "Yes, we'll miss him while he's away, but the rebels must be dealt with."

After news spread that rebels in the city of Kalla beheaded a merchant lord who had been caught collecting and selling humans, Caius took it upon himself to lead a few lords and guards into the city to handle the rebels. Raisa and the Ladies were there to say goodbye.

Most of the court failed to recognize the horrible things the merchant lord had done because he was their main source of oil from the south. Caius didn't take his death with ease.

Raisa looked to Caius now. He was dressed up in a fine military outfit, his hair was slicked back and short on the sides; she could see why he caught the attention of so many ladies. He stopped talking to the Lord of Coin as they waited for their carriage, his dark brow raised as his eyes scanned the busy courtyard. His attention stopped on Raisa and he gave her a wink.

Raisa gave him a lovely smile, knowing eyes were on her. She looked away, leaning into Harini, "You do know you are one of my most trusted Ladies? I even visited you after the birth of your son."

The Lady shifted uncomfortably but her trained smile didn't fall. "What do you need, your majesty?"

"I wish to know what rumors had spread in my absence."

Harini's eyes darted away from the Queen and to the group of Ladies that had joined their husbands in a goodbye. "I heard you were ill."

"And what else?"

Harini's dark brows lowered, "I don't participate in the rumors. I've only heard whispers but I've heard that you ran away to have an affair with Prince Aleksar."

Raisa almost wanted to laugh. Aleksar had visited once, he was the youngest son of the King of Montersere. They had gotten along, he had even danced with her a few times at a ball. That was over two-hundred years ago but it appeared that rumors between them hadn't died down. She didn't wish anything bad to happen to the Prince though, the only thing he's ever done was flirt with a married woman, but besides that he was just a young self-obsessed prince.

"And what if I did tell you I had an affair?" Raisa smirked.

Harini looked eager to learn more.

Raisa's eyes went to Thadion, the Lord of Coin and her least favorite on the council. "Isn't it odd that Lord Thadion was away on vacation the same time I was presumed to be sick and no one has mentioned it?"

Raisa was afraid Harini's eyes were going to fall out of her head, "Lord Thadion?" Raisa hushed her for raising her voice. The Lady shot her an apologetic look.

"Have you and Lord Thadion been—" Harini wiggled her brows.

Raisa chuckled low and nudged Harini, "If Caius finds out, he'd have our heads, so you can't tell anyone."

Harini nodded, "My lips are sealed, my Queen."

"Raisa!"

Raisa's head snapped to the sound of Caius calling her name. It was time for him to leave, she guessed. He stood outside his carriage and called her to him with the flick of his finger. She nodded to Harini before heading over to her husband. Knowing so many people were watching her, she kept a pleasant face even as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

To everyone else, it would have looked like a passionate embrace, but Caius held her tight and whispered low in her ear, "What were you and Lady Harini talking about?"

"I asked how her baby boy was doing," Raisa whispered back.

He pulled away and gave her a loving look, "Why? Jealous because you can't have a baby yourself?"

She hissed in a breath, "You're horrible."

She tried turning away but he pulled her back. His laugh was teasing. He placed a hand on her cheek, "Don't get into any trouble while I'm gone. And remember," he kissed her lips. "Every move you make, breath you take, letter you write, word you say, or bed you sleep in; I will know."

Raisa smiled against his lips, "You should watch your own back, Caius. I hear the rebels really know how to take a head off."

He kissed her one final time before turning his back on her and storming into his carriage.

Raisa wiped the feeling of his lips off with the back of her hand, not caring that Lord Thadion was staring at her. "Don't you have somewhere to be?" She snapped.

"Don't you have a Prince's bed to warm?" He snapped back before climbing into the carriage.

I hope they both return as two heads in a basket.