Chapter 42: Before I die

"How long has it been?" Raisa rubbed her head. It kind of felt like a horrible hangover. Though she remembered it all, she was still confused and dazed.

Caius took a seat on the bed, "Long enough."

"Can you just answer my question directly?" She snapped. She needed to know. It could have been hours, days, or even years she was trapped in the mirror. How long have I kept Azriel waiting?

Caius chuckled and shook his head, "Where would be the fun in that? I like seeing you flustered."

She threw off her blanket and climbed out of bed. If he wasn't going to answer her, she would find someone else. He stayed silent as he watched her change out of a sleeping gown and into a casual dress. Her movements were irritated. Of course she was glad she was awake and back in the real world, but her head was pounding and she was confused.

"Your mate came looking for you."

Raisa froze. The irritation was immediately replaced with fear. She slowly turned to face him, her fingers still on the last button of her dress. "What are you talking about?"

He stood up tall and proud, walking over to her with a strut. He had a smile on his face as he did her last button. He gripped her chin, tilting her head up so that she was looking into his wicked eyes. "Azriel? Is that how you say his name?"

She shoved his hand away, taking a step back. No. Her throat filled with a knot. She wanted Caius to have nothing to do with her mate, he shouldn't even say his name.

"Azriel," her husband laughed at her reaction. "He didn't say much, but let me tell you, he screamed like a little bitch when I ripped off one of his wings."

Her face turned red and a ringing filled her ears. She moved faster than she had ever moved and let that anger fuel her as her fist connected with his cheek. She didn't even feel the pain of her knuckles cracking. Caius was caught off guard and didn't have time to react as she swung her fist and connected again.

She didn't get to hit him a third time. He gripped her by the wrist, using his magic to shove her and pin her to the ground. She roared and thrashed, throwing out waves of her own magic, but the more she moved the tighter the bonds grew.

"I swear, if you hurt him I will make you suffer until you're begging me to end your life," she hissed through her teeth. "Don't you fucking touch him!"

Caius stood over her. His smile was gone. "It's funny how you think you can threaten me when I have your mate chained up in an iron prison and you pinned to the floor."

Azriel. His face flashed before her eyes. She imagined his dimpled smile, his soft dark hair, his beautiful wings, and deep voice. He was her mate and she would give her life to protect him. He was the only reason she wanted to live. Before she met him, she had every intention of dying with Caius- then there would truly no longer be a monarchy.

"Please, Caius. I'll give you anything you want, just please don't hurt him," her voice cracked. "Let him go, let him live, please. This is the only thing I ask for and I'll give you anything you want. I'll be a good wife."

Caius' eyes glowed with amusement, "but I promised you I would give you his head as a gift. You know me, I don't go back on my promises."

"Caius please," she sobbed. "If you do anything to him, you'll lose me."

He gave her a sad smile as he wiped away a tear rolling down her cheek, "I already lost you."

"No, Caius, no!" She screamed and thrashed until her throat ached as he grabbed her by the hair and dragged her out of the room. She lost feeling in her arms from the tightness of his magic around her but she followed him on stumbling feet.