Chapter 2: Intruder

5 years ago

Azriel wouldn't say that he was one to choose favorites, but of Rhysand and Feyre's two children, Nyxous, the youngest, got on his nerves the least. It wasn't that Orpheus, their eldest, was annoying, he just reminded Azriel of 16-year-old Cassian. Arrogant, loud, and ready to fight every second of the day. That's why Azriel didn't complain when his High Lord and Lady asked him to watch Nyxous while they went to the training camp with Orpheus.

Nyxous was practically a miniature version of Rhys. He was only seven but he had half of Velaris wrapped around his finger. Including Azriel, though he would never admit it.

It started off as just another day. Azriel took Nyxous out for lunch because he couldn't cook for shit and then they planned for a flying lesson. Nyxous was a clumsy flier, he couldn't process how much his body was constantly changing.

The two Illyrians were making their way over the Sidra when a foreign shadow curled around Azriel's ear and whispered with the voice of a lover, "where are you?"

He came to a complete stop. Let the world around him fade away so he could focus on the one singular shadow. He closed his eyes and inhaled. Mint, warmth, darkness, power, beauty. He didn't recognize it, but some part of him felt it was familiar.

He held onto the shadow, followed the thread miles through town in his mind until it hit the source. He could almost see her fully in his mind. Not only had she intruded into Velaris, but she was trying to break into the House of Wind.

"Nyxous," Azriel called out to the boy who had walked ahead. The boy turned around, his wings knocked a fae passing by off her feet as he swung them too wide and he apologized profusely as he helped her up. Despite having to deal with an intruder, Azriel smiled at the boy and shook his head.

Nyxous's face was red when he finally approached Azriel. He couldn't even look the older Illyrian in the eye without feeling embarrassed.

Azriel patted the boy's head and squatted down to his level, "I have something I have to deal with for a bit so the lesson will have to wait. I need you to head over to Mor's house, can you do that, kid?"

The boy gave Azriel a firm nod before bolting in the direction of Mor's place. Azriel watched for a bit as the boy stumbled into people and gave a flushed grinning apology. Azriel shook his head before launching himself over the railing of the Sidra bridge.

Even in the midday sun, he was a blur of shadows as he raced through the sky. Unnoticeable, soundless, and so incredibly fast.

He landed on the balcony of the House of Wind on light feet. He stalked through the shadows and into the house where he knew the intruder had already entered.

What am I up against? He wondered. Either the intruder had to be disparate or an idiot to break into one of the High Lord's houses. From the stillness of the house, he guessed they must have some degree of intelligence.

He followed the thread of shadows connected to the intruder through the house. He didn't make a single sound but something in the air made the hairs on his arms raise. He slowly opened the door to the largest library in the house where he felt the intruder.

It was empty.

No, I feel someone here.

He sent his shadows out and sure enough, they confirmed a presence. Female. High fae, maybe with a touch of something else. Not from the Night Court.

Truthteller was in his hand as he made his way around the library. He hoped he wouldn't have to spill blood, but he would do what he had to defend his court. If someone was in the house with ill intent, he would not hesitate. Blood would spill.

A female's sigh coming from the doorway had him spinning around. A black hood concealed her face as she spoke, "It's not here."

He was instantly behind her with Truthteller eagerly aiming for her throat.

But before the blade could kiss anything, she was gone. Azriel didn't have time to be confused. Just as he sent his shadows out, they slammed into her and confirmed she was right behind him.

She laughed as he swung his blade for her throat and missed. She had simply stepped to the side. Her movements were as smooth as liquid.

He continued pursuing her with his blade and fist, moving as fast as he could to catch her, but each time she slipped away. They moved through the library like dance partners and as the intruder's mocking grin grew wider, Azriel grew more pissed off.

He shot a bolt of his power at her, thinking that would do the trick. He growled when he saw her skipping away. She was making him look like a clumsy novice.

He finally stopped. If he couldn't catch her with speed, he would have to be smart. His lips were pinched as he concealed Truthteller and turned to the intruder. He could now fully see her face as she casually leaned on the back of one of the couches.

For a second, he forgot why he was trying to kill her. All his frustration evaporated as he witnessed her smile, brilliant green eyes, dark features, and high cheekbones. She may have even passed for an Illyrian if she had wings.

"I was just leaving," she looked at Azriel like he had said something funny. Her eyes traveled his whole body, taking in his wings, face, hands, and even his shoes. When they finally returned to his face, she was in awe. "How are you so beautiful?"

He blinked, suddenly returning to reality. Flattering me isn't going to work.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" He tilted his chin up.

She dragged her hand along the couch as she walked around it and came to stand right in front of him. She was baiting him, he thought, seeing if he would try to snatch her again.

He didn't back down as she met his gaze. Close enough for him to feel the vastness of her power. It felt like a void; dark and numbing and endless.

Who the hell are you? The slightest hint of insecurity showed on his face. He didn't like the unknown.

"I promise I'm not trying to cause any trouble," her voice held an accent he was unfamiliar with. It was almost melodic.

"We're going to have trouble if you don't start answering my questions," he took a step towards her, giving his own version of a mocking grin.

She didn't step away from intimidation, even though he was a head taller. Her eyes were filled with humor and she straightened her back. "What are you going to do? Trip over yourself trying to catch me again, Shadowsinger?"

Rare moments like these, he lost his temper. He took the bait and reached out to grab her but she spun away from his grasp like a dancer. A low roar ripped through him as he reached again.

This time, he caught her. His hand wrapped around her arm like a vice, he grabbed her other arm and pulled her to him. "Caught you."

She didn't look worried, "Oh no. What are you going to do now, kill me?" She rolled her eyes, "Not like I have a lot to live for."

So he was wrong, she wasn't desperate. And she wasn't an idiot... She had infiltrated both Velaris and the House of Wind, which were both heavily warded. What was she? A spy?

"I'll be taking you to the Court of Nightmares," where he would start his least favorite part of his job. Torturing enemies for information.