Chapter 36: Ahead

"I have a present for you," Caius carried himself with intense joy and happiness as he came over to Raisa and wrapped her in a hug. He had been gone for seven months, which wasn't out of the ordinary, but Raisa wasn't sure why he was in Montesere. Unless he tracked the rebels back to there.

"A present for me?" Raisa blinked in confusion and stepped out of his arms. She was in the throne room when he arrived, where he sent word for him to meet him. There was an audience.

Caius squeezed her cheeks. "Yes, please sit. I want to see your face when you open it. The King of Montesere gave me a difficult time when I asked but you know how persuasive I can be," he winked.

Chills ran down Raisa's spin as she sat on her throne. She tried to keep a polite and lovely smile on her face because at least fifty people were watching her every move. Caius bounced on the balls of his feet like a child about to receive a gift as Lord Thadion approached with a large red velvet box. The Lord placed the box down in front of Raisa, giving her a wicked grin, and then returned to stand with the audience.

"Go ahead. Open it." Caius beamed.

Raisa's sweaty fingers fumbled at the gold clasp but the satisfying click of it opening had her looking up and giving Caius an encouraging smile. He nodded for her to continue.

She slowly lifted the lid.

"Do you like it?" Caius asked.

She stared down at the wide brown eyes of a severed head. It took her a second to realize it was the King of Montesere's own son, Prince Aleksar, the one Raisa was rumored to have had an affair with. A scream failed at her lips. It almost didn't feel real but she knew it was. She tried speaking but no words came out, just quick and uneven breaths.

"I went through a lot of trouble for this gift," Caius lifted the head out of the box from its dark curls. Raisa gagged causing the King to look at her and smirk. He tossed the head at Raisa, she didn't make a sound as it struck her lap and she shoved it to the floor, watching it roll.

Raisa was the only one that didn't join the laughter that filled the throne room. She watched with wide scared eyes as the lords kicked the head around. She didn't know the prince very well, but she wanted to cry for him.

"Silence!" Caius' voice boomed through the room. It was instantly silent, everyone waited for Caius to speak. He strolled over to his own throne and casually sat down with his feet propped up on a stool. He paused longer than needed just to prove that he could take all the time in the world if he wanted and not lose their attention. "Rumors of my wife having an affair with Prince Aleksar had been circling around. I know for a fact that these rumors are false but this is to prove a point that I do not take rumors of my wife's infidelity lightly. This is what I do to someone rumored to be with my wife, imagine what I would do to someone that had actually had an affair with her."

Raisa instantly thought of Azriel. She couldn't stand the thought of Caius being anywhere near him. That's when she decided. Caius' game had gone on long enough. She wanted this all to end so that she could go back to her mate.

This could all end tonight.

"Thank you for the gift, my dear." Raisa reached over and placed her hand on his, giving it a pat.

He turned his hand over and laced his fingers through hers. They may have looked like a powerful couple seated hand-in-hand in their thrones, but the only thing keeping a small smile on Raisa's face as the room was cleared out was the thought of seeing her mate soon.

She imagined herself winnowing into his room and standing in the shadows like he had in hers. He would know she was there, of course, and she would give him a teasing smile as she stepped out. He would try to reach for her but she would dodge him like she had when they first met, which would frustrate him but make her laugh, and then she'd finally give in and be in his arms again. Where she would be safe and whole.

"You must have really liked your gift," Caius let go of her hand and stood up. "Your smile is genuine."

Her smile wobbled, "I'm just happy you're home."

"I'll meet you in your bedchambers after dinner if you're that happy," she watched him walk away without another word. It was time for dinner.

It was time for her to get Bryaxis.

No one asked questions as she left the throne room, all the lords had cleared out for dinner with the king and the ladies were discussing who's room they should have tea in. Raisa was almost out of the room when Lady Harini caught up to her.

Raisa gave her a questioning look.

"I just wanted to make sure you're alright," The Lady gave an apologetic smile.

The Queen was caught off guard. She wasn't used to someone caring about her, especially when Caius was the cause of her discomfort. Raisa knew that Harani hadn't said anything about the Queen possibly sleeping with Lord Thadion so she hoped she could still trust her.

"I'm well, thank you for asking." Raisa nodded. "I'll be having dinner in my room. Have a nice night."

Harini called out before Raisa could walk away, "A few Ladies and I's children will be having a playdate tomorrow morning, if you'd like to join us."

Raisa smiled genuinely even when a sadness filled her. There would be no playdate tomorrow morning, the castle was about to be abruptly plunged into chaos and sooner or later Harani's husband will be dead. "Thank you for the invitation, Lady Harani. I'd love to join you."

Harani curtsied before running back to the other ladies. Raisa's gaze lingered for a moment, feeling bad that she was about to make the lady a widow. Don't let your feelings cloud your judgement, this is the right thing to do.

She turned her back to the ladies and walked down a long hall no one ever went down. She passed door after door until she came to the very last door at the end of the hall and opened it. The room had once been her mother's room, no one was allowed in it, not even Caius.

The bedroom was darker than a void, as if all light was afraid to pass the threshold. She knew the monster that lurked inside was Bryaxis, she could feel it by the way her arm hairs stood up. "Now," she whispered into the darkness.

And the darkness responded with a laugh. 

A/N: Sooo, I've been debating the next chapter because it is extremely graphic at the moment and I want to sensor it a bit. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I sobbed writing it. I will leave a trigger warning in the next chapter if I don't end up editing out some stuff. I'm still debating. Anyways, thanks for reading so far and feel free to leave a vote and comment <3