XXXI

He made his tie tight to his neck. I watched him from the corner of my eye as I sipped on the coffee he'd brought me when he'd woken me up. After checking himself over, he turned to me and smiled, "How did you sleep last night?"

I eyed the king sized bed behind me. The thing had been extremely comfortable. It had been like a cloud that had conformed perfectly to the shape of my body. Dominick had even been nice enough to not force me into have sex with him.

In fact, he had kept to his side of the bed the whole night. There wasn't a single moment of skin on skin touching, until he was waking me an hour ago. It would have been the perfect night had the image of my parents being shot on the beach not been playing on repeat in my head.

"I slept fine."

"Just fine?"

"Bad dream. Nothing serious."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."

"Of course you don't."

I ignored his salty comment and changed the subject to something that I was more curious about, "So who gets the fun task of babysitting me first?"

"Julie."

I laughed louder than I should have, granting myself a raised eyebrow.

Shaking my head, I placed my drink down and stood from the black, upholstered bedroom bench at the end of the bed, "So you don't trust me to be in the main house, but you trust the woman that you were originally worried about putting a fork in my neck, to be alone with me in a house in the middle of nowhere?"

"Yes."

"That is ridiculous. I hope you enjoy coming home to a dead fiancé." I exposed both sides of my neck in a mocking manner, "Do you think she'll put it in the left side or the right? I'm thinking it will be the left side..."

"Her killing you is the least of my worries, Caliana. If you must know, I trust her over you because I know how much she cares for her brother. She has lived around me long enough to know that if she were to hurt you, I would torture Leo in front of her. I would then kill him as slowly as possible, making sure that she watches every single second of it. Then I'd kill her."

"You can't be serious. The man is your best friend..."

"But you're the love of my life."

"You really are a monster, aren't you?"

"If it is needed, then yes."

"Well, have a fun day at work." I grabbed my coffee and left him alone in the bedroom. I could already see where that conversation was going to be heading, and it was a direction that neither of us needed at the moment.

Without waiting for him, I made my way downstairs, across the living room, and into the kitchen. If there was anything that could distract me from the thoughts running around in my head, it was breakfast.

Eggs, bacon, sausage and toast was a meal I could probably eat every day. It was also the only meal in the world that could make my parents take a pause when they were lost in their own little worlds. If I had ever needed to get their attention, all I would have to do is throw a few eggs and a link or two onto a frying pan. They would be walking through the kitchen door before I could even go for the bacon.

I was turning on the stove after pulling out two pans, when I heard him approach from behind me. He placed his own coffee mug onto the kitchen island loud enough to get my attention. "I really wish you wouldn't walk out on me like that, Caliana."

"Go do your work, Dominick. I'm not really in the mood to talk."

"You never are."

"Well what do you expect," I sighed as I lowered the heat of the burners and faced him, "Do you seriously not see what is happening between us?"