Capitolo diciannove (19)

"What are you, a bruh girl or girly girl?" Luca asked suddenly.

"A little bit of both," For some reason it was easy to smile with him.

His company was comforting and refreshing, never awkward. He knew the right questions to ask and the right words to say. It was like he was deliberately trying to get me to forget about my mom's death. I was thankful for that.

"Good, let's go here," he pulled me in a shop I didn't recognize. He looked at me as if to study me then nodded. I was confused. Then I walked behind him, in an aisle with my size.

Did he just analyze my size with one look? Damn he's good.

He picked up a few shirts then lifted them up as if to ask me they were good enough. I was surprised how quick it was for him to know my style just by one question. Throughout the whole shopping I just allowed him to pick out the clothes for me. He seemed to be enjoying it anyway. He even added a giant bear in there. That was really sweet.

For some reason, I felt like someone was watching me. I kept looking around and of course I saw no one that seemed suspicious. Luca noticed but he reassured that it was the men Luciano had to follow us around. I wasn't convinced because it felt different.

Then we stopped in front of Victoria's Secret. He was going to step in but I pulled him back from the door.

"I think I can go in there by myself," he raised an eyebrow.

"You sure. I mean, I can give you my insight on what I think would like good on you, tesoro," There's that nickname again. I looked at him like he was crazy, trying to fight the smile tugging on the corner of my lips.

"And what makes you think, I'm picking for you," I placed my hands on my hips.

He chuckled and shrugged. "A guy can only hope."

"Well continue hoping. Stay here," he winked and I laughed, shaking my head, heading into the store.

I walked around looking at the piece of clothing carefully before choosing what I like. It didn't take me long and I went to pay for it. I was about to leave until I felt the sudden urge to pee. I asked one of the ladies to keep it for me, so I could use the bathroom. I relieve myself and was washing my hands and a pretty blonde lady came out of one of the stalls a little after I did. Something felt off about her.

"Shopping for a boyfriend or yourself?" she asked, giving me a sly smile.

"Myself," I simply answered. Instantly, I recognized her accent was Russian. It put me off immediately. Not a coincidence that I'm shopping at the same store a Russian is, a day after my mom was killed. But I didn't think too much of because she didn't look capable of working with them.

"Make this easier for everyone Mirabella before things get ugly," I stopped when she said my name. Gone was the friendly smile.

"No thank you," I declined. She didn't take my answer kindly.

She pulled me by my hair and slammed me into the door of one of the stalls. I groaned in pain. I turned around and pulled my leg up in stomach. She staggered back, holding her stomach. I made a bee line to run but she lunged at me from behind. My forehead hit the floor a little bit too hard for my liking. I swung my foot around her to get on top of her and took the knife from my hip and stabbed her repeatedly. I lost count after the seventh time. When she stopped moving, I quickly got up, washing my face and fixing myself so I don't seem suspicious. I stepped out as casual as I could, taking my bag and left.

"Ready?" Luca asked when he saw me. I didn't trust my voice, so I nodded instead.

"Tesoro, are you okay?" he looked at me, pushing my hair back to reveal to scratch.

"How did this happen?" he looked concerned.

*****

"What?!" Dad yelled, when I told him what happened.

"I'm sorry dad," I said and he quickly came in front of me, pulling me into his chest for a hug.

"This isn't your fault. You did what you had to. She was going to kill you," he assured me but that didn't stop the tears steaming down my face.

"I couldn't stop. I just kept stabbing over and over until she couldn't breathe," I sobbed and pulled away, his expression seemed to be in just as much pain as I am. He wiped the tears away gently.

"I'm sorry, you had to do something like that. I didn't want it to come to this," he kept brushing my hair and that was somehow comforting. I guess it was a father's touch that made everything seemed to be okay.

He took out his phone, I assume to call Mr. Tony. "Antonio, I want you to hack into the bathroom security cameras of the Victoria Secret store Mirabella went to today and wipe everything the moment she stepped in....... What?"

Whatever Antonio said must've been important enough for Dad to put the phone on speaker.

"I looked into the Russians systems and they've been looking into Mirabella. They won't kill her, Boss. They want to recruit. If not willingly, by force," my eyes widened in shock.

"Thanks Tony," Dad said and hung up.

"I won't let anything happen to you, Bella. They're gonna have to kill me first," he promised.

I'm sorry I failed you mom.

Flashback:

"I hope the day doesn't come but if one day you ending killing someone for the first time, remember to have self control. Deep breaths and control," mom told me but I was confused.

"I don't understand,"

"Your first kill is always the worst. It takes a toll on you mentally. Haunts your conscience. It will have you going down a dark path you never thought you would go down. It messes with your head but remember, deep breaths and control," she explained.

End of flashback.

But this was while I was killing her. I lost myself because I was upset. Upset that I let my guard down for a split second. Upset that I didn't watch my back. Upset that she had the upper hand, most of the time during the fight. Upset that they killed my mom because she didn't want to work for them. It was out of anger. Anger that I didn't control over. Sorrow and anger were not a good combination. Look at where it got me.

6/12/20

Au revoir......