Capitolo diciotto (18)

"This was not your fault," I repeated for the unth time to Uncle Nik. "You had no idea that the Russians were going to make everything hard for her. If they hadn't everything would've went smoother. It was not in your control,"

"But-"

"No buts. Stop beating yourself up about this. I don't blame you and I'm sure she wouldn't either," I tried not to cry but it was getting harder by the day. I hadn't allowed myself to grieve over her death because there were a whole lot of people in her life that loved her as much as I do and they needed comfort.

Apparently Uncle Nik was the first person mom had told about her pregnancy and plan to leave because she knew dad would do everything in his power to stop her from going.

"Here," Dad placed a plate full of food. He was really trying to make up for all the 17 years he missed. I don't blame. It must be hard to see your daughter especially after missing the most beautiful years of her growth because your world was too dangerous for her. Yet, here I am, trying to avenge mom's death.

I guess no matter what, you can never run away from where you meant to be.

"You know it's okay to cry. She was your mom, tesoro," Luca said softly while I was mid chew. I swallowed and nodded. Then I realized he called me tesoro. What does that mean?

"I know but I need to be strong for them. They miss her too," I told him but he frowned.

"But who's going to be strong for you?" he asked and I didn't answer because there was nothing I could say to it.

******

It was night time and to help me forget about all my troubles, I started dancing around in my room. Ballet to be exact. Thank God mom packed my shoes. It seems she knew I would need them. She always right about everything. It was something that I loved yet hated at the same time about her.

With all the memories flowing through my head all at once. Times when we laughed together, cried together, fought, trained. We were the perfect mom and daughter duo. I couldn't help but cry all my sorrows through the song.

I don't know when I stopped dancing or when I fell asleep but I woke up to the sun shining on my face. Note to self: close the windows before going to bed. I looked at myself in the mirror to see my eyes swollen, red and bags under my eyes. I got in the shower and took a bath to soothe my mind, getting ready for today. I was going to try everything to find the people behind killing mom. Just because the people who killed her, died in the fire with her, doesn't mean the rest of them get off scotch free.

While in the bathroom, I heard someone enter my room. I know I should feel safe in this house but nothing's wrong with being prepared for anything. I quickly got dressed, taking up the knife from the bathroom sink. Thank you mom. She always told me, no matter where you go, even if it's the bathroom, take a knife with you. She related it to Gibbs from NCIS. 'Never go anywhere without a knife.'

With my knife in hand and my hand behind my ear, I carefully stepped out of the bathroom, watching the person with his back to me. I stopped and lowered my hand when I realized who it was. Dad.

"Good morning, dad," I said and he froze for a second but relaxed when he realized who it was.

"Good morning Bella," I smiled at the shortening of my name. It felt nice to know I was having a rapid growing relationship with my father.

His eyes glanced at the knife in my hand and laughed muttering something about "just like your mother."

"Dad, what was mom like back then?" I asked, curious to know about her 'Red Blood' days.

"Ziva was scary yet caring. She could have you shitting your pants that was for her enemies. Most times, she was the happiest person. She brought light to this place. Because of her, this Mafia thing seemed like a game. We would always challenge each other. Never taking the job that serious. That was until they killed her uncle infront of her and she found out her mother was behind the whole thing of trying to kill her.

Your mother was so many things. Giving me many reasons for loving her. If she had told me she was pregnant, I would have dropped all this for her and you but  Ziva did the thing she was good at. She ran but this time she put herself before anyone, not something you see often. It made me not be angry at her."

"That sounds exactly like mom. Always looking out for others, helping others, making sure they had a smile on her face even when she was down," I added and he smiled.

"You love mom, right Dad?" The look on her face was enough to give me the answer. "Then we need to do something about these Russians. What is your plan?"

"I have my guy looking into their systems, watching their every move. He should be-" then his phone started blaring in his pocket. He pointed at it giving me a knowing look.

"Yeah Tony," he answered and put the phone on speaker for me to hear.

"Boss, they've been looking for her for a while. Them knowing she was pregnant, gave them an upper hand. They've looked into every hospital record until they found Mirabella. Because Ziva decided to give her your last name it was easy for them. Ziva found out that they knew and has been blocking them everytime. Until, they finally found her, I don't know how but they did and you know the rest," it put weight on my heart to know that people have been tracking down mom. To know that she's been doing this all alone.

"Is there any way to know how she actually died in the fire?" I asked and there was silence on the other end.

"It's Mirabella, Tony," Dad informed and the guy gasped.

"Oh, I'm so sorry about your mom, kid," he apologized and I forced a smile even though he can't see it.

"It's okay Mr. Tony. So, is there?" I repeated.

"The best I can do is check the bodies from the police records to see if there was any woman that looked like your mom. But as far as identifying her, that would be impossible, seeing they were all burnt crisp," he told me.

"Okay, can you check please. Thanks," I asked.

"No problem. Calling back soon boss, he said and the call was cut.

"Are you saying that Ziva may or may not have died in the fire," Dad inquired, tilting his head to the side.

"I'm hoping. Mom is too smart to just get herself killed after trying so hard to hide from them," I was holding onto hope at this point. I knew I was in the in denial stage of my mother's death but I just wanted proof that she was there or not.

"That's true but don't be disappointed if she actually died in there," he said softly, kissing the top of my head. "While we figure that out, I'm sending three of my guys plus Luca to follow you go shopping." He took out his black card and handed it to me.

"Okay, thanks dad. I love you and so does mom," I assured, hugging him.

Kind of a filler chapter to build up to the next chapter. I don't know mayne. Anyways, what do you think of the father-daughter bonding. So cute and heart-warming. Poor Luciano, my heart goes out to him. The love of his life is dead and all he has is his daughter, a constant reminder of her. Must be really hard for him. He doesn't even have the heart to tell Mirabella that Ziva is actually dead and crush her hopes. Such a good father.

6/12/20

Au revoir.....