Chapter 1- Percy

I'm sorry if the book isn't quite upto your standards in the first few chapters. It is something I wrote in a frenzy when I was the tender age of twelve. I've always dreaded editing the first few chapters, but I guess now is the time. I do know the story picks up after a few chapters, but until then, you will have to wait. So without further ado, here we go!

1// PERCY

Percy was feeling weird. He usually came to Camp Half-Blood every summer, but this summer it was different. He was spending most of his summer at his mom's apartment in Manhattan. He had nothing against his mom, or his stepfather Paul, but just he almost missed the excitement. There was nothing to look forward to, or even dread. No Annabeth, no Titans, no Gaea, not even any giants or monsters. This was going to be a long summer. He rang the doorbell. His mom opened the door.

''Percy!'' she yelled, giving him a hug worthy of his half brother Tyson."How are you? Do you know how worried I've been? Have you ever heard of a son who leaves his mother to fight giants?''

"Nice to see you too."Percy muttered.

His mother led Percy into the apartment. His stepfather appeared out of his bedroom and grinned at him.

"Crushed you to death, didn't she?" he asked.

"Now Paul, you know I was happy to see him," his mom replied.

"Sure you were."

Percy left his parents, went to his room, and dumped his bag on his bed. He sighed. His room was filled with boxes, so he guessed that his mom was doing spring-cleaning a little late this year. There were boxes labelled books, Percy, Gabe, household items etc., but one box caught Percy's eye. It was a small carton, as compared to the others. It said 'photos' in his mom's handwriting. Percy went over to check it out. There were young pictures of Percy, his mom, his former stepfather Gabe Ugliano. In the bottom of the box, there were pictures of her mom in strange black robes flying on a broomstick in some sort of playground. In the background, there were three huge hoops like the ones those sticks in bottles of bubbles had, except only like a hundred times larger. He stared at the image till his eyes pored through the paper.

Percy going through more of these pictures when his mom came in saw what he was doing.

"Those are my childhood pictures," she said quietly.

"They're cute. Nice photo effects with the broomstick pictures."

Percy didn't know why, but his mom went white at that comment, and exited the room, muttering something about lunch. Then Percy started unpacking his stuff and putting it in place. He opened his bag and saw the picture of his girlfriend, Annabeth. It had been about two weeks since he had seen her. Two since she had left for San Francisco to spend 'quality time' with her dad. He still remembered when she had told him that she was leaving for California.

He was sitting on the beach watching the waves when she had come and explained that she needed to go for the whole summer to visit her dad and meet him.

"Of course, I'll miss you," she had quickly added. "Like a lot."

"Iris Message me."

"Duh, Seaweed Brain!"

They had then kissed quite passionately for a while and then sat on the beach, arm in arm, talking about the Giant war, which had happened about a year ago now.

As Percy was reminiscing about this memory, his mother called him for lunch. His mom had made pasta, something he loved.

***

The next day, since Percy had pretty much nothing to do, he helped his mom finish spring-cleaning. He saw more of those weird photo effect pictures the ones you take at studios, but his mom refused to talk to him about it. He would have given up, but there were many pictures of her like that. Strangely, they all seemed to be staring at him and constantly moving, but Percy managed to ignore that. The setting was in a beautiful castle, judging from the pictures. The most unnerving picture was of a guy, about fifteen, who had hazel coloured eyes, a thin face, and his hair sticking up. He felt a strange connection towards him.

"Hey mom! Who's this guy? "Percy asked, showing her the picture.

"Oh! Him!" His mother said in a small voice."He was just a guy who went to the same school as I did."

Before Percy could ask any more questions, there was a little glimmer in the room. An Iris Message. We turned. It was Annabeth, seemingly flustered.

"Hey!" Percy said."What's up?"

"Percy! Annabeth said. "I need your help. I'm coming to New York immediately. I'll take a flight to JFK-"

Percy knew at once it was serious. Demigods avoided mortal transportation at most costs, especially flights.

"Whoa! Back up! What happened?"

"He's back, Percy." she said, "He's back."

"Who's back?" Percy asked, confused.

Then he heard his voice. He knew that voice a little too well. That person had haunted his dreams since Percy was 12. His evils had ended last year, on Percy's birthday, coincidentally (not, of course) but he was back again. Ever since the Doors of Death had opened, Percy had known it would happen, and had dreaded it. The doors were now closed, but he had had plenty of time to get out.

"Oh! It's him." Percy said in a small voice.

Annabeth nodded.