Chapter 17- Percy

PERCY

Percy's ears were buzzing. He couldn't believe it, and yet at the time, he could. It somehow all tied together and made sense to him. Harry was his long lost cousin.

I thought this only happened in movies, he thought weakly.

Ron was gaping at the book and couldn't figure out what to say. Hermione, on the other hand, was talking rapidly fast.

"I checked other records and some old Prophets, and I saw your mother in some of them, but after about a month after your birth, there was no mention of her. I even checked the article about Harry's parents' death. It didn’t even mention that James had a sister. They mentioned Harry's aunt Petunia though. It seems weird that they mentioned your mom’s muggle sister, but nothing about James Potter’s pure blood sister.”

“Nobody told me.” Harry said, dully. “Not Sirius, not Lupin, not Dumbledore. They all mentioned my how much I looked like my parents, but nothing about a Sally Potter.”

“Exactly,” Hermione said. “And Sally wasn’t even a Squib, so there was no reason to hush her up like they supposedly did to Arianna Dumbledore.”

“Hold on,” Ron said. “How do know she wasn’t a squib?”

“Because she went to Hogwarts.” Hermione pulled out some other newspapers out. “This is the Hogwarts Weekly, which used to be a newspaper at that time, run by students. The idea of a school newspaper died down later on, but some old copies are still here. And there are plenty of articles about her. If James and Sirius were known to be pranksters, then Sally was known for her intelligence. James and she were twins.  She had twelve O.W.L.s and N.E.W.Ts. and was the cleverest witch in her grade.”

“Hang on,” Harry said. “Hagrid said that my parents were Head boy and girl in their year. If she was so smart, shouldn’t she have had been the Head girl?”

“I thought so too, so I check up more copies, and it turns out that Hagrid lied, but I don’t know why, though. But don’t you remember all the way back in our fifth year, when Ron’s mom threw a party to congratulate us on being prefects? Remember when Sirius said that he and James were too busy being troublemakers to get a prefect batch?”

“Yeah,” Harry said, realisation dawning on his face. “He said that Lupin got the batch. But you weren’t even there at that time.”

“I was right behind you,” Hermione said, matter-of-factly. “I thought that if Lupin was prefect, shouldn’t he have had been Head Boy? And he was Head Boy, it turns out. Sally Potter was Head Girl. I saw it in one of the old Hogwarts Weekly editions.”

“Blimey, Hermione.” Ron said, dumbstruck. “How did you do that in about half an hour?”

“Practice.” She said knowingly.

“The question remains,” Percy announced. “Is why she was hushed up after Harry was born. This doesn’t make any sense.”

“Then we should ask someone who can’t deny the fact that she existed.”

“Who?”

“I thought I’d seen her picture before, and now I know where. It was on his little wall of fame all along, with Lily’s picture.” Hermione was rushing out of the library.

“Great memory,” Ron shouted as she scrambled to catch up. “Now if you could be kind and tell us what’s dawned on you now, we’d be eternally grateful.”

“Slughorn. It was in Slughorn’s office all along. He would never remove a picture from his collection. I saw it there every time we went to one of his Slug Club meetings. I never realised the slight resemblance between the girl in the picture and Harry’s father.”