Chapter 9- Harry

Harry

Harry was feeding the chickens before the letters came. Mrs. Weasley had set him and Ron on the job, so that they work could be done easily. Little did she know that they were talking more than working.

Hermione was inside with Ginny, helping Mrs Weasley in the kitchen. Bill and Fleur were due any moment for lunch. Harry and Ron, we're discussing about going back to Hogwarts. They had decided to finish their education after much contemplation. Hermione, of course, had immediately agreed to go back and complete her seventh year. Her persuasion was part of the reason they were going. Hogwarts was going to be extremely crowded now, since basically the whole school was repeating a grade, and the new first years would be joining the old ones now.

Everybody was talking about Professor McGonagall putting up a new dorm just to accommodate the students. The battle of Hogwarts, had indeed, caused problems.

Ron hadn't really wanted to go, but was forced to by Mrs. Weasley. He had been complaining all day about it.

"I don't need to go! The education I had is enough! And we helped defeat You-Know-Who! That ought to count for something!"

Hermione had come out later, and scolded him.

"Honestly, Ronald! Education is an integral part of life! So what if you helped defeat Voldemort? You still didn't get a single N.E.W.T!"

"Are you even listening to yourself? So what if I helped defeat Voldemort?"

Their banter had gone on in lunch too, and that was all everyone was listening to, till suddenly Ginny cried out.

"There's four owls coming our way!"

Sure enough, four barn owls were flying in the Burrow's direction. They swooped in and went to their respective deliverers and held up their legs.

"Owls in the afternoon?" Mrs. Weasley wondered. "How odd."

Harry saw his name written in emerald green ink on an envelope, and removed the letter hastily. He tore it open to see his letter, and a gleaming red badge also fell out. He was Quidditch captain again.

He turned towards Hermione, who had the Head Girl batch in her hands, grinning widely. Ron had the Head Boy too. He just shrugged.

"It's not like I wanted to go back to school, but at least I get to use the bathrooms."

Mrs. Weasley had been very pleased with all of them, even Ginny, who had also been made a prefect.

It was Hermione who had cried out that their letters contained something else apart from their book lists.

"There's going to be a new student this year!"

"Really?" Ron asked. "What's that bloke doing, joining school so late?"

"Well," Hermione said, "According to the letter, he's eighteen, just like us, but he'll be doing all seven years of academics in one year only."

"Is he mad?" Ron asked. "How can he complete seven years of studies in one?"

"I dunno." Harry said. "Must be really smart or something."

"Look out Hermione." Ron commented. "You've got a rival coming up."

"Shut up." Hermione said, her eyes still on the parchment.

"What's his name, anyway?"

"Percy Jackson."

"Percy?" Ron's eyebrows crossed. "If he's as much of a pompous brat as our Percy is, then I'll be sure to-"

"Ron!" Hermione chastised. "Stop. And anyway, he's not from England. He's from New York!"