Chapter 11- Percy

Percy

After getting off the train, everyone had seemed to go towards a few carriages. They were being pulled by strange horses.

" What are these horses called?"

That just ensured another round of weird looks.

" They're called Thestrals." Harry said, patting one of them, and opening the carriage door to step in. "They can only be seen by those who have seen death."

Percy stumbled over the steps of the carriage on hearing that. Nobody spoke for sometime while Percy looked out of the window, to see the scenery outside. While gazing at the forests surrounding him, he could only think of all the people who he had seen die. Would he have had been able to see the thestrals after he killed the Minotaur at the age of twelve? Did a monster count? Because over the years, he'd probably killed a few thousand of them.

Percy had never felt guilty, but now, as he turned to see the thestrals pulling the carriages towards wherever they were going, he thought of everyone who had died over the past years. He had literally met Thanatos or Death. He thought of the recent Giant War, in which he'd lost so many of his friends. He thought of his second year at camp, when Bianca and Zoé had died. That had been the first time he'd actually lost someone. Others who'd sacrificed themselves. Silena, Beckendorf, Ethan, Luke.

Luke. But he was back. From the conversation Percy had had with him, he knew that he would be hearing some news of him soon. Luke wasn't one to stay out of trouble. Then again, neither was Percy himself.

Percy was conscious of the fact everyone in the carriage was probably looking at him, but he wasn't bothered. As they moved ahead, Percy saw a massive lake come into view, and he gazed at it wistfully. Maybe he could go visit it later the next day.

Slowly, they had reached the castle. The moment Percy saw it looming over him, his jaw dropped.

Hogwarts wasn't huge or great, it was magnificent. There seemed to be nothing modern about it, Percy noticed. The lights were candles and lamps, and the architecture was very old.

Annabeth would've loved it. Percy thought about taking a picture of Hogwarts and sending it to her as a postcard. He could just imagine writing it.

Dear Annabeth,

Wishing you were here,

Love, Percy.

But he doubted he would even find a camera here. The whole place seemed stuck in the nineteenth century. There wouldn't be any televisions, video players or kids blasting to Eminem on their iPods. It was probably a good thing, since demigods and gadgets wasn't exactly the best equation.

As they got off the carriages, Percy saw everyone move towards an entrance hall into the 'Great Hall', as they called it. Percy was walking with Neville and Ron, when he heard a voice call his name.

He turned to see an old, stern faced woman wearing a red cloak walking towards him.

"Percy Jackson?" She asked.

"Yeah." Percy replied.

"I am Professor McGonagall, the headmistress of the school. Follow me, please."

Without waiting for an answer, she turned on her heels and started walking briskly. Percy scrambled to follow before he lost her in the huge crowd of students.

She led him away from the older students to what looked like twelve year olds.

"You need to get sorted into a house." Professor McGonagall said, "You will be part of the sorting ceremony like the first years. Any questions?"