Chapter 23- Percy

PERCY

The week passed way too slowly for Percy. He suspected his ADHD was acting up, and the long week wasn't really a trick of the Gods, but one could never be sure when it came to the gods.

It was only Tuesday, and his eyes were drooping. His second day as a third year didn't seem remotely as interesting as the first. Which was probably because he didn't sleep the entire night. He knew Harry did, because he was exhausted.

Percy stayed up all night replaying the memories again and again, still not being able to process them. Ron and Hermione knew that he hadn't slept when he clambered down to the Great Hall for breakfast. The bags under his eyes said it all.

His first lesson was a private one with Professor McGonagall, where she almost transfigured him into a beaver for not paying attention in class. By the end of class he had only managed to turn his rat into a goblet which had a furry tail.

Thankfully she didn't scold him, probably because she understood the circumstances.

In his next lesson, however, the teacher was not to forgiving. He had Defense Against The Dark Arts, and Professor Powers was not happy. He entered the dark room with the third years. This class was shared with the Slytherins, and so far, they were turning out to be the unfriendliest people he had met in the castle so far. They were far meaner than the older Slytherins, and reminded Percy a lot of Clarrise La Rue.

He sat down in his seat and removed his homework from his bag, as Professor Powers used a summoning charm to collect it.

"I sincerly hope that this piece of work is better than the one you gave me on boggarts," she said dryly, "Or I will soon have to start giving out extra homework. Especially you, Hulton."

She glared a small third year Gryffindor as she said this, who cowered in his seat.

The Slytherins sniggered, but she ignored them.

"Now today's will be a practical lesson," she continued, as everybody looked overjoyed, "We shall learn about Grindylows."

They spent the hour tackling the creatures, who were water demons. They were vicious looking things who bared their fanglike teeth at everyone who looked at them. They learnt the correct tactic of hreaking their brittle fingers and practising the spell before they finally got to use.it on the Grindylow.

"I have enough for three students to share one," Professor Powers said as she divided the class up.

Percy was left with a Slytherin boy just as vicious looking as the Grindylow, with a tall lanky and thin frame. He scowled when he came over to join the group. Their third member was the same boy Hulton who had been scolded a few minutes earlier.

"John Hulton," he said, shaking hands with Percy. Percy still found shaking hands a rather strange way of greeting here instead of just maybe waving, but extended his hand nevertheless.

The Slytherin boy carried a tank to their table using a leviation spell and carefully set it, not spilling any water. The Grindylow, who had been sleeping, blearily opened one eye and glared at them.

He gave a look of annoyance at Percy.

"You again. Why do you keep troubling me, man? I told you, I'm an imported piece. I'm from Texas, not around here. I don't know amything."

Percy blinked. He had been sure that the Grindylow had spoken to him in an American accent. Him again? This was the first time he had seen the creature.

"What do you mean?" He asked the creature silently.

"Oh don't act like I didn't tell you last time. I don't know anything about the stupid blocks. Ask Sam, he's been here forever. He even knows the Giant Squ- owwww!"