Chapter 68. Guilty

Quinton Newman

Quinton Newman

I believe that my arm has gone numb but I couldn't possibly care less. The figure in my arms was the only thing that had my attention.

Lena had been crying for a little while but she has every right to. I don't really know the guy but he's the only father figure in her life. He raised her and I wish I could've thanked him for shaping her into the woman she is today.

I squeeze her in my arms tightly for maybe the 30th time just to let her know that my focus is still on her. Her cries have become muffled for the most part which made it just way more harder to stay there with her.

I keep an arm on her but look around before settling on my blanket that was on the bed. Luckily, the bed wasn't made so pulling the blanket wasn't going to take much a struggle.

I take the navy blue blanket and put it over the person in between my legs. She takes in the small gesture by grabbing the blanket and holding it to her chest. My heart throbs and I can never seem to properly find a way to look at her without wanting to just..blurt out my thoughts.

She presses herself a little deeper into my body and I absorb her. Her voice slightly surprised me as it was a little higher pitched and soft. Nothing like the confident and stern voice I'm used to hearing.

"I-..I'm...sorry. Sorry about this." She looks up just a little to reveal sad eyes. Her voice was so soft, it felt so weird. I felt so much guilt.

I meet her eyes and I find my Adam's Apple bobbing up and down.

"Don't apologize Le." I lower my voice and keep my tone as soft as hers. "It's all okay."

She holds just a little more eye contact before slowly lowering her head, but I think it was only to hide the tear she was shedding. "I wish it was."

I don't really know how to respond to that, so I simply just rest the right side of face on the top of her head and sigh.

*Flashback*
"Le? What's wrong?" My eyes examine Lena. A hand had flown over her mouth and I could hardly hear a word from her. "Le?"

"Why...is this...happening..." I hear her mutter.

"Why is what happening?" I hesitatingly stand up and join by Lena's side. "What's wrong?"

"This is not just..unlucky..." I can hear slight whimpers but her hands cover her face in absolute shame. "No no...no."

"Lena you need to tell me what's going on." I put a hand on her arm. "Le?"

"He's gone." She simply states.

"Who's gone?" She reaches out for the chair and sits down, keeping her face covered. "Who is gone..Lena?"

"I don-..you don't know him. You won't care." Her voice breaks, making me not want to question anymore, but I'm just so confused.

"What's going on? Just tell me whether I'll care or not."