Chapter 2. In Order

Remi Lincoln (Rank Division 10)

I look at the 6 Bow Staffs all settled together. I hesitate before grabbing the furthest on the right for sparring.
My name is Remi Lincoln, I'm 18 and in Rank Division 10. My Mom gave me a staff when I was 3. Obviously it was a smaller one, but when I started using it like a bow staff, she gave me one and..the next thing I know, I was accepted into Rank 10.
Many people don't know what the difference between a staff and a bow staff and I swear I wanted to beat the shit out of them each, fucking, time. One has a whole ass piercing blade at the end that you can't strategically spin without cutting yourself with, and the other is just a long, even wooded stick. There's a difference.
  Funny how I start off like that.

    "Well, Remi," my mom begins as our bow staffs clash together, "you ready for Saturday?"
  I pull my bow staff back before sliding it to the end. Crouched down, I try to knock her off her feet, but she jumps before I could do so.
  "I don't know mom, I guess you could say that." I spin it back behind my back, giving me an even balance. I quickly turn my bow sideways and use it as a shield as my mother's staff comes clashing down, inches away from my face.
  "You better be. I didn't train you all this time for no reason Rem. And it looks like your ready." She moves her staff and puts it beside her. "You'll do Fine."
  I put my staff down slowly, not trusting how she let her guard down so easily.
  "It's a..tough crowd to impress mom. You should know that."
  "I do. And that's why I know that you'll do great. I'm sure of it." She comes over and kisses me on the forehead. "You should go pack. It's better early so you don't have to rush."
  I nod, letting the staff rest against my body. I put my bow staff back into its stand and head to my room. My mom never ends sparring early, especially not 3 days before Zelch Tryouts.
  My mom trained me my whole life. Normally in a regular GreyRose Citizen family household, the dad or some professional trainer trains the kids. Well...in the Lincoln household...there is no dad. In this household, the dad decided to venture off with a whole different household and become a whole happy family, leaving his old one to dust.
That's the one thing I'll never understand about guys. If we weren't good enough, why fuck with us at all.
I go to my closet and start packing my main necessities. The first thing I had put in my bag were Tekt Pills.
Tekt Pills are sort of the only thing that can keep your body as well as it possibly can when training 24/7. It has all the vitamins, internal oils, proteins...basically everything to get you through your day. The bad thing? It loses your appetite, and you can't get any training in without food. It has its ups and downs.
   I don't have siblings...except step siblings who I've never met and never want to meet. It's just been me and my mom in a dojo based house. My mom works from home so she constantly has time to train me. She made the academy when she was 18. She ended up quitting short after getting pregnant with me and she's now the person who picks peoples ranks. A huge down grade right? It's fine though because she knows I work hard to do what she couldn't.
Many kids don't even go to school now. They focus on training, hoping their future isn't going down in the dumps. I try to go to school for the most part, but there are days where I'm too sore to even move.
I fold all of my clothes and continue to put them into my duffle bag. I stop for a second and look around the room. I walk over my duffle bag and to my desk. I open the drawer and take out a black capsule. I click the button on top, causing metal rods to come out in each end, forming a metal bow staff. I smile as I look at the bow.
My Grandma gave me it when I turned 16. I never used it because it is an illegal bow staff. You can't use these in any matches otherwise you'll be disqualified. I sort of just kept it for the memories.
  I click the button again, putting it back into it's capsule. I sigh before putting it into my bag.