A Failed Promise

A few months back

"Why do you want to go to that place?"

The hirsute man closed the door behind him and looked at the man in front of him in bewilderment. He leisurely sat on the chair besides the window and crossed his arms across his chest probably waiting for a reply.

The handsome man however, kept a stoic expression of nonchalance and shrugged "It is not up to me Archer. My father expects me to heed in to the wishes of the alpha."

"You mean your tormentor." 

"Alpha Ragnar is not at fault Archer. Even if I may not recognise Einar as my leader, it is written in stone that the man will be the alpha of the pack."

"And you have to work for him?"

"Do I have a say?" The beautiful man huffed in derision

Archer lowered his eyes for he had no answer to that question. Indeed Callan was bound by his duties. One day the handsome man would follow the footsteps of his father and serve the pack and indirectly its going to be alpha- Einar. 

The history between both the men had always been on the downside. Archer for one knew that Einar had caused a lot of misery in the life of his best friend. Moreover being the head of the pack meant that his actions could never be questioned while Callan would be put to test every now and then. As also Callan's fate had always mocked him in his face.

Archer was worried for his friend.

The road ahead seemed difficult. Callan was surrounded with enemies on all sides. His pack mates never cared for him. Even if he became the head warrior, the respect which he truly deserved would not be bestowed upon him. Nobody cared for him. In the hindsight there were people who wanted to harm him and there were the ones who lusted for him.

Archer tapped his foot nervously and stopped suddenly. He looked at his friend with concern "Let me come with you." he pleaded

"Why?"

The were-bear deeply sighed "That evil of a princess will be there. As soon as she learns of your arrival I am sure that she would clutch you in her disgusting snake arms." Archer hissed in revulsion.

"I have been to the palace for years now and I know how to take care of myself. Besides I would be spending my time with my grandparents entirely."

Archer still looked unconvinced. The memory from years ago resurfaced through his brain as the muscular man recalled the unfortunate event of their meeting with the evil princess. Though they were in their early teens, the incident had left a bitter impression of a lifetime. However Archer was more concerned for his best friend. Not only was he just a human but his beautiful features were cause of many of his problems. 

Archer knew for a fact that the princess lusted for the man. Given the opportune moment she would strike her game and win Callan forcefully. Claim him as hers without taking any consideration for the wishes of the handsome man!

"I know but I am still worried for you. Its the princess that makes my blood boil. You know what a bitch that lady has been over the years. I want you to be safe."

"I will be.."

Their conversation was halted when they heard a distinct thud coming from the floor beneath them "Did you hear that?" Callan asked an alert Archer.

"Yes." Archer sniffed the air vigorously "It is a she wolf."

"What is a she wolf doing in my house? Is it Viola?"

"No. It is a different smell."

Without wasting any more time both the men slowly made their way out of the room through the door which led them to the stairs. Midway though, Callan could see the door of a room  slightly opened. Callan's heart beat spiked. The room belonged to his parents who were both absent at the moment. He was aware of the fact that his parents would not show up in an abrupt manner and certainly not like this.