Travesty Of Justice

The drops were steady and soft yet they managed to dwell on the land as the king. The water threads that stretched from the sky to the earth were weak but were significant. It resembled the shattered state of a broken heart; of Callan.

It had been two days since his best friend had been locked up inside of the dungeons. His screams and yells were tormenting Callan's heart deeply. Although he had been on the brighter side of things, for up until now he had a companion to share his thoughts and feelings but not any more.

His one and only respite had departed for the next world. 

At the peak of the afternoon when the sun should've been shining the brightest, it was dull. The past two days had been disastrous for as far as the weather was concerned. No one could understand the sudden fearsome lightings or the downpour that followed thereafter. It was to the point that the rains did not stop even after its usual run.

Aldous and his group were all ready to do what was necessary to take away the departed soul. Since the man was a prisnor, his funeral was to be done in solace, without anyone's knowledge. Though Aldous was busy instructing his men about the procedure he could not help but notice the man right across the prison.

Callen was inconsolable.

His eyes were red with all the crying. The disheveled hair were covering his forehead, perhaps hiding the creases of his turbulence. He sat hugging his knees and sniveled very often as the tears made its way through his eyes continuously.

 Aldous felt pity for the man. He excused himself from the procedure and entered the doors of Callan's prison. It wasn't as if Callan was unaware of the wolfs presence, it was just that he was too tired of any confrontation. Aldous stood there dumbfounded, trying to find words to calm the human. He tried hard but nothing came out.

"Keep this with him." Callan said all of a sudden. He handed a small ring of gold to Aldous "It was dear to him." he kept his eyes low and resumed gawking at his dead friend.

The wolf handed over the ring to a fellow wolf and he was near Callan once again. His raised heart beats and fidgeting fingers were proof that the man was nervous.

"Do you have anything to say Aldous?" Callan asked without looking at him. Aldous parted his lips to speak but remained silent as he shook his head.

"Then leave."

Though he was at a loss of words Aldous knew that Callan needed someone at this difficult time. He gathered his energy and blew a lot of air from his mouth before kneeling down "You are broken." he almost whispered in a sad tone "I haven't seen you like this before. Can I help you in anyway?"

"Sorry that I am bothering you. Like you.. Even I wish that I were dead!"

The words stung the wolf and retorted quickly "I don't want that."

"Your friends surely do. The entire pack wants me dead."

"You have never cared about them before."

"Things change..." Callan paused as he pursed his lips trying to hold his tears back "People change." he snickered "Do you know how it feels when the person you love the most deceives you? When you think that you are in a safe cocoon but rather he is drowning you in a pool of betrayal? It hurts. It hurts so much..."

Aldous was finding it difficult to see the man in this condition. Whatever adversaries he had faced in the past, Callan had always been bold enough to stand through his difficult times. However today the man seemed completely shattered. It was like a force pressing down on him; telling him to quit.