Jealousy Thy Name

It was a sunny day, perfect for a day at the fair. The entrance could be seen from a distance while long ques edged forward slowly. People were excited and impatient as they moved ahead. Faint music could be heard from beyond the gates while occasional screams of joy were a norm. It was once in a year event and everyone was looking forward to it.

Among the people standing in que were humans and different shifters from all around the vicinity. Einar stood awkwardly besides Rosaline for he was dragged to this event in the pretext of having fun. He initially had no plans to join Rosaline and Arthur but he was forced by his mind to pierce through this massive crowd to just have a glance at his beloved.

It had been almost a week since the competition and Callan had gone missing. Hardly anybody cared about his whereabouts but the alpha was getting insecure and more restless as the days passed. He did try for anonymous reasons to connect with the head warriors son but all the reply he got was that the handsome man was recuperating alone and did not want any disturbance.

As the wolves entered the gates, they were welcomed by a swarm of people spread in places where the eyes could roam. A number of stalls of all varieties conducting different activities were lined up on both the sides. From a distance in the crowd Einar could see a beautiful tall human girl waving her hands in the direction of the wolves. Rosaline imitated the gesture and responded with a smile.

Fayette came running towards the group and hugged the lady "I am really glad you showed up."

"Oh I had to. This place is amazing!" Rosaline said in wonderment.

Fayette looked at Arthur and bowed, welcoming him but when she saw Einar her face was sour and she diverted her attention to the lady wolf "Lets go quickly or it will start already."

With a confused look from the guests, the human compelled them to follow her within the depths of the fair. They stopped right besides a huge tent and Fayette urged them to enter the shelter. 

They were taken by surprise by what they saw.

The aroma of  berries and nuts wafted all around, tantalising their noses. People had gathered around a large circular table where a round savoury which resembled a bread was laid in a circular form. A single candle was lit in the middle of the sweet food while people had surrounded a certain individual. It looked like they were celebrating. But what exactly?

Just then Fayette cleared her way to reach the significant spot and hugged that individual. Einar was happy and relieved for the person in front of him was none other than his own mate.

"Where have you been?" Callan asked in surprise "People are waiting you know."

"I am really sorry. I had to attend some guests.''

Archer gave a small playful tap to Fayette and cleared his throat in a large voice "Attention everyone." He gestured to Fayette "Since the latecomer has finally arrived lets begin the celebrations." The people around cheered in unison.

 "Don't just look, blow the candle stupid." Archer scolded a stunned Callan as everyone laughed.

Callan looked happily at his friends before bowing his spine to puff the candle. As he did the motion people clapped, cheered and congratulated him.

For the first time in his life, Einar could see his mate this happy. He now understood why Callan was always so adamant to visit his friends in the village for his birthday. He was acknowledged here. People loved him, cared for him and they actually celebrated his birthday!

Callan was all smiles. He occasionally hugged his friends while offering them the piece of the savory. He was carefree and was himself. He slowly made his way to the extreme end until his legs halted and his smile faltered. The grim look on his face made Einar more shameful and apologetic. Thankfully Rosaline came to his rescue when she hugged the man and diverted his attention "Happy birthday my saviour. Why didn't you tell me? I would have come prepared with a gift."