The Great Escape

"Where are we going father?" Callan's curiosity piqued.

"We are heading for the province of Queen Katana in the southern region."

"It's a four day journey to the island. Why are we bothering ourselves to go there. Do we need anything special from that place? Has the Alpha sent you to a mission?"

"No Callan. The Alpha does not know about this expedition and you are not to say anything to him. He cannot read your mind so you are safe."

"But why are we going there?"

"It's part of your training."

"I don't understand."

"You will. Soon." Justus was nonchalant throughout the entire conversation so Callan could not decipher what's going through the mind of his father.

When the duo reached the island, Justus wasted no time and headed straightaway where he intended to take his little boy. The place was crowded and all Callan could hear was the shouting, yelling and cheering of people. He also noticed a huge cage in the middle of the arena right in front of him where two shifters of different species were fighting. This fight was brutal. This fight was more of a survival than winning. Callan could not help but ask-

"Why are we here?"

"This is known as the war ground. The shifters from around the world come to this place for a fight. If you win, you get rewarded more than you can ever get paid. If you lose... Well lets say that its not a good option for you."

"What do you mean?"

"The loser is either given an option to be a slave for life or die in the battlefield."

"That sounds scary."

"Yes. It does. But I want you to take a good look around yourself Callan. Life is fair to no one."

"But I still don't understand why I am here exactly."

"To learn. There are some things that I can't teach you on the ground level, you have to learn by observing as well, consider it a part of your training."

For all Callan knew his father had brought him to this place for a purpose he is not revealing. He concentrated on the duels that were happening. It was absolutely barbaric. These warriors had no honor. They were playing it down and dirty. But what disgusted Callan even more that this act of inhuman behavior was cherished and praised by onlookers around the cage. Callan soon realized that there was only way to win this fight.

Kill and Survive.

However the next duel in the cage caught Callan's attention immediately. He saw two men, one of which was definitely a were-bear while the other he could not decipher were ready for the fight. As soon as the judge gave the signal for a fight both the warriors started their shift. What left Callan gasping in awe and surprise was that standing in front of the were-bear was a creature even more taller and probably heavier than him. He was completely red while his canines were large and his teeth holding beak was tapering forward. It had large ears and beautiful large wings like that of a butterfly but one could see scales on it, as also the edges of the wings were sharp and pointed. He even saw sharp spikes right through their back to the tip of its tail. The creature roared and the entire arena was stunned.

"Who is that? I mean.. WHAT is that?"

"This is the creature who I wanted you to familiarize with. This creature can only be stopped by a divine entity, It is that powerful. When you become a head warrior it may happen that you encounter this beast. Remember Callan, at such a point, RETREAT. Let your Alpha handle the situation." Callan was shocked and slightly agitated to hear these words from his father.