To Heal A Heart

Garrick paced from wall to wall with his eyes glued to the door. It had been hours since Callan's departure but still no sign of the remedy. Everything hinged on what Callan did in the mountains to retrieve the grass. Garrick could not think straight today. His panicked face just made everyone around him nervous. He was distressed to look at an immobile Einar. He wanted to find a way to ensure that Einar was still there, to know the extent of his pain and find a solution to lessen it.

Einar was becoming quite gaunt as the moments passed. His heavy breaths were alarming while his occasional grunts were keeping Garrick on his toes. His skin was changing its usual color to a shade of blue which was gleaming darker and darker. What petrified Garrick though was Einar's sudden jerk and shuddering which occurred at any moment. Einar shivered with a jolt for some time and became normal thereafter.

Garrick could not take it anymore. He looked at a pensive Aurora and lashed out "Your decision to send him out to fetch those grass was completely pathetic. He is just a human! He does not have the skill or the speed to reach there on time. What if he takes too long? I don't trust Callan. In fact he could have done a lot more if he just stayed here with Einar."

Aurora sat upright when she heard the last words. Garrick was adamant for the part of keeping Callan inside the house. Perhaps he wanted to keep a close watch on Callan or perhaps he wanted his help with Einar's case. But why a sudden change of heart? Aurora knew that since his father's death Garrick had been bitter towards Callan and could not bear him in his proximity. So what changed now? She looked at Einar and then at Garrick. The future beta wanting Callan nearby only meant one thing- Callan could aid his true mate and ease his pain. That meant Garrick had unfolded the truth. "You know...!" she whispered.

Garrick raised his brow accusingly "And how do you know?"

Aurora relaxed her stance "I have known for a long time son of Umberto." She sighed "It is finally good to talk about it with someone from the pack. An actual wolf."

Garrick nodded "So you do agree that Callan being here would have been more beneficial rather than wandering in those mountains."

"This is where you are wrong Garrick. The location of the tree is not easy to find, your wolf senses would have been useless once you were up there. Besides Callan has a fair judgement about the area." As also no one would be able to retrieve the grass other than Callan.

Garrick huffed in annoyance "Even if I agree with you, don't you think Callan was needed here more than at the mountains. He could soothe Einar's pain and maybe even help him in his recovery."

Aurora chuckled in amusement "It doesn't work that way. Callan would only accelerate the rate of his recovery but for that we need to start the curing process first."

Garrick sat on a chair and hunched his arms running fingers around his hair in frustration. He knew that the healer was right but he was too consumed in Einar's deprivation. Add it to the burden of concealing such a vital information from Einar's parents and the entire pack. Moreover, Arthur had just linked him that he and Rosaline were headed their way. For the next few days he had to come up with a believable excuse about the Alpha's absence and since the initiation did not take place he was not conferred the title of the beta. Hence he could not help Einar in managing the pack even if he wanted to. These thoughts would've only bothered his mind and busted his head after a point of time. He needed a distraction. The only person who could divert his mind right now was the lady in front of him. Garrick realised that she has been living here for ages but he knows nothing about her. Maybe it was time to break the mould.

"How long have you been in this pack?"

Aurora could see what Garrick was trying to do. She curtly smiled "I was born at the time of your great grandfather. We have to master our powers as a witch before being assigned to any pack. I was part healer, part witch- a rare combination in our world. I was awarded the blue moon pack after a few years of the coronation of the previous alpha."