Chapter 41: New Kinda Life

Heaven. I was in Heaven. I was dead and he was with me. I thanked God for allowing me to be with him after death. I was lucky to be able to feel and hear him even though I was a ghost. But that meant... he was dead too?

He held me for I lost track of how long. Long, gentle fingers stroked my matted hair and a soft, reassuring voice whispered sweet nothings into my ear. I was still afraid to open my eyes and find it was all a dream. 

"Won't you look at me, darling?" I could hear the smile in his voice. I shook my head slowly, refusing to let the amazing dream end.

He chuckled and sent goosebumps erupting all over my body. God, I sure had missed that sound. "This isn't a dream, Kiara. You are alive and safe, and Jacquelyne is gone. Zorraine is healing too. And..... I'm here now," he assured me so calmly, that my heart melted completely. He was here. I was safe. That must mean I'm alive and he is too. 

I lifted my rather heavy eyelids one by one. The first thing I saw were two warm brown orbs gazing lovingly into my hazel ones. I felt better just by looking at his gorgeous face. I tried to move, but my limbs felt like cement. "Now, don't try to strain your body too much. You're heavily injured," the earlier joy from his voice was replaced by sadness and a hint of rage.

"Cassian?" my vocal cords felt like sandpaper when I spoke, I didn't care. He grinned and nodded, "Glad you recognized me. I was afraid for a moment that you had lost your memory when Jacquelyne assaulted you." I was pleasantly surprised by his attempt at humour. Maybe my amazing sense of humour was rubbing off on him.

When he chuckled again, this time with more vigour, I realised I had spoken out loud. "Did I think aloud?" I asked, slightly embarrased.

"Yeah, and I am glad you did. I was worried about the unpleasant change in my personality, you know," he said matter of factly. I laughed softly, but the effort made me cough vigourously. When my coughing fit had subsided, I saw Cassian looking me worriedly, "Are still in pain, Kiara? I thought Chrysseis had healed you." He turned away from me and glared at someone to our left.

An indignant, "Did too!" huffed at him and I heard footsteps hurry over to us. The curly blonde head of Chrysseis Jansen loomed over me and smiled, "Don't worry, Kiara. I've placed healing spells on your injuries and they'll be fine in no time."

Cassian snorted, "Always bragging away. Could you please check why she's in pain?"

Both Chryss and I stared at him in amazement. Cassian Mantzari requesting someone politely? Gosh, Nathaniel sure had done a number on his head.

Nonetheless, Chryss fussed over me, mumbling spells and examining my wounds. Cassian held me close and I inhaled his scent to feel better. He was so comforting, I broke down into tears when I remembered how much I had missed him.

"It was so horrible, Cassian.... I was... terrified," I sobbed into his shirt, clutching it with my weak hands.

He cupped my cheeks and brushed away my tears, "I know. And it's okay to be scared. You are the bravest person I've ever met, Kiara Carlyle," he whispered into my hair as he hugged me.

I held onto him as though my life depended on it. I felt if I let go, he would leave again. And I was not about to let that happen.

He kept talking while stroking my back, "You endangered your own life going with Nathaniel to protect the House. You saved Zorraine's life by stopping the spell just in time. You fought off Jacquelyn..." he exhaled, as though angered at the memory, "I thought I had lost you when she stabbed you... you were lying so still. I feared..."

He held me away and looked deep into my eyes, "I was terrified of losing you,"

I was blown away by the emotion I saw in his eyes. He was afraid of losing me. That was proof enough for me. He loved me. And I loved him.