Chapter 24: Confrontation

Kiara's POV:
The next day, I went to school with my new backpack. It was a royal blue, leather backpack with cool silver tassels. I got it from the mall the previous evening.
Mom was a bit wary of letting me go to school alone after the mishap, but I bullied her into letting me. Obedient daughter that I am. *Proud of myself*
I reached school and looked for Curly. She had some serious explaining to do. I found her mumbling to herself, while rummaging in her locker clumsily. I went a little closer to be able to hear what she was mumbling about.
Her voice was soft and agitated, "What was he thinking?... Could've done serious damage... always quarrelling and bickering.... poor thing, had to go through all that..."
To my horror, she started to sniffle softly and tears formed at her eyes. When she muttered next, her voice quivered as though she might start crying any second.
"Wish... father was here... wish he would be here to make them see sense. Wish they..  would stop being... idiots.."
Her lower lip trembled and a tear slid down her smooth skin as she clumsily resumed rummaging in her locker.
She seemed to be yearning for her dad. I couldn't imagine life without a dad so I couldn't come close to understanding her misery. But I realised that it must suck to have a dad that leaves you to fend for yourself and not bother to check up on you.
I decided not to demand explanations from her at that moment and dug around in my pockets.
I reached out my hanky to her with a neutral face, "Here"
She jumped in surprise when she saw me. Her books dropped to the ground with a thud and she stared at me with a stupefied expression.
I huffed impatiently, bending down to pick up her books for her, "Seriously, Curly do I look that scary?"
She mumbled a sorry at me and took the books from me with trembling hands.
I waved my hanky in front of her face, still impatiently, "Well? Are you gonna take it or do you want me wipe those tears from your eyes myself?"
She gave a watery half giggle and took the hanky, dabbing at her eyes with it.
I smiled in appreciation and swung an arm over her shoulder, "That was wise, Curly. You really didn't want me to do it for you. Anyway, you okay now?"
She nodded, and smiled at me thankfully, "Yes, Kiara. Thank you for the support. I needed that."
"What were you crying about anyway?" I asked curiously, risking it.
Curly bit her lip, balancing herself on the balls of her feet. She was obviously uncomfortable, as her eyes darted around her looking for an excuse. Feeling sorry for her, I decided to let it go.
"It's fine, Curly. You don't need to tell me anything if you're not okay with it. I get it. It's okay." I smiled understandingly.
She sighed gratefully, looking relieved, "Thanks a lot, Kiara. You're a good friend." She patted my arm.
I was touched. That single comment made my heart melt at it's honesty and simplicity. It's not everyday that we are called good friends.
__________________________
That night, Curly stayed over at my place for a sleepover.
And of course, that's when I demanded answers from her. It was about time that she confess what was wrong with this town.
I poured her a glass of soda to help her calm her nerves. I knew how flustered she could get when she was nervous.
"Okay, so what do you have to say for yourself?" I went straight to the point.
She took a sip of her soda and stared into her glass, "I- what do you mean?"
"You're done with the clueless act, Curly! You just left me all alone yesterday morning when that crazy car almost ran me over! Disappeared completely. Why did you do that, huh? I know you're NOT a coward, Allyson Parker."
She blushed deeply and finally met my eye, "You're wrong, Kiara. I am a coward. I ran away because I was afraid. Afraid of the car, it's driver and the person controlling the driver." Her eyes were filled with pain, and it broke my heart.
One second....
The person controlling the driver.
How did she know?
I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, "Curly, what was that last thing you were afraid of, again?"
She smiled softly, and for the first time, I felt nervous of her. Her expression reminded me of two people of whom I had felt threatened the most. Two people with whom I had never imagined Curly to be associated with.
Her usual meek and awestruck demeanor was replaced by something more.... malevolent.
"Didn't you figure it out yet, Kiara?"
Her voice was unfamiliar too. Instead of the usual soft and mumbling voice, she sounded confident and slightly amused.
I stood up from beside her, dangerous realisation dawning on me, "You sometimes speak old fashioned like you're in the nineteenth century."
She didn't speak, but her smile grew wider only a milimeter.
I took a step back, away from her, "You always know what I've been doing and where I've been, even when you're not with me."
Another step back.
"You are unnaturally afraid of Ca-Cassian. Even though I've never seen you even speak to him."
Another step.
"Cassian told me he had a sister called... called..." I stopped, not being able to continue.
Curly had a sort of excited gleam in her eyes, that unsettled me thoroughly, "Yes? What is she called?"