Chapter 15: Perfect dress

Kiara's POV:
What do we wear?
I haven't had to ask any person that question ever in my life! Not even my mom!
Jeez, what's Cassian doing to me?
Since I was determined to look my best in front of the guy, I fixed a meeting with Curly in the mall after school one afternoon.
I'm the kind of girl who doesn't really care what the latest trends are. I just make sure that I don't appear in public dressed like a wannabe Barbie (girly clothes are not my thing) or an unsocial nobody (I don't exactly crave attention, but I prefer to be seen and heard by everyone).
Curly had arrived before I had and she seemed oddly uncomfortable surrounded by so many people. She was fidgeting nervously on her bench and fiddling with her backpack.
I waved at her and she looked almost relieved to see me. She came up to me and smiled brightly, "Kiara! I thought you were never gonna arrive!"
I looked at her a little weirdly, "We were gonna meet at 3. It's just..." I checked my watch, ".. 3:04. Are you idolizing Miss Stevens or something?" Miss Stevens was our history teacher and an absolute grouch. She crabbed about the defects of today's generation if someone came to class two miliseconds late.
Curly blushed, "No, It's just that my mom is pretty particular about being early."
"Huh, must be as boring as it sounds."
Her ears turned crimson like her face. I was puzzled. Why was she so embarrassed? Did I humiliate her that much?
She tugged on my hand, pulling me towards a store, "Come on. Don't you want a dress for Founder's Day?"
I smirked, "Yeah, I do. But I'm not sure I want a dress from Kiddie Clothes. I just won't fit into one, don't you think?"
She looked at the store she was pulling me towards and turned even redder.
I laughed and put an arm around her shoulder, strolling of towards Fab Teens.
_________________________
Fab Teens, Fashion @ 16, Comfy Styles and Glamourous U.
All useless! None of them had the dress of my dreams.
Seriously, these designers nowadays had no imagination. The same old pink, frilly frocks, too short Daniella-ish black dresses, too frumpy and old woman-ish dull coloured dresses.
I tried on dress after dress and rejected every single one of them. It was a wonder Curly did not lose her patience and storm off. Even the shop attendants seemed pretty pissed at me since I was not exactly improving there sales.
"It doesn't work! It's too drama queen-ish!" After rejecting the thousandth dress of the day, I pulled it off and handed it to the shop attendant who grumbled audibly while taking it away. It was a long, maroon velvet dress that was backless and exposed the midriff. It was covered in flashy sequins which gave me the impression that Cassian would need sunglasses to look at me properly.
"It's useless!" I exclaimed and strode out of the store, with Curly tailing after me.
She put a hand on my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me, "Don't fret, Kiara. We'll find the perfect dress. We just need to keep looking."
Surprisingly, I believed her. I calmed down and felt more positive.
"Okay, so we've tried out, like, every store in the mall. Where do you think we should go?"
Curly suddenly smiled widely, "Would you like to wear one of mine?"
Taken aback, I stared at her like an idiot, "Yours? What do you mean?"
"I have a really pretty dress at home. It's practically new. My mom got it for me for my birthday, this year. I haven't worn it even once, I promise."
I was slightly doubtful, "But, it's your dress... I'm not sure."
She took my hesitancy as a yes. Maybe because it was super rare of me to hesitate.
In twenty minutes, we were in her bedroom and Curly was rummaging in her cupboard, looking for the dress.
Finally, she brought out a large, cardboard box with gilt designing on its surface.
She flashed me a mysteriously excited smile and took off the lid.
I gasped. It was gorgeous.
It was a sleeveless silk, knee length dress, with ruffled chiffon edges.
It was a shiny, but not too much, rose gold in colour and intricate golden embroidery on the skirt. It hugged the body until the waist and then flowed freely till the knees.
I was blown away by the absolute gorgeousness of the dress.
Even words didn't do justice to the sheer beauty of the garment. I, for one thing, had never seen a dress like that before.
I gingerly held it in my hands, as though nervous the delicate material would crumble against my trembling fingers.
"It's beautiful..." was all I could manage while holding it against me and looking at the mirror.
Curly clapped her hands in delight, "It really suits you, Kiara! You'll look absolutely exquisite in that dress!"
I smiled, "Thanks a lot, Curly! I have no idea what I'd have done without you. You're a life saver!"
I carefully put it back as Curly mumbled, "Don't mention it."
I put my hands on my hips and looked at her sternly, "Okay, enough about me. Tell me Allyson Parker, who's your date and what're you wearing? And-" Curly looked at her feet, "-you'd better answer something other than 'it doesn't matter' "
She blushed again, "Ummm... I-I have an appointment.." she said uncertainly.
I scoffed, "With whom? The dentist again? Come on Curly, have you grown fangs or something?"
"No.... actually, my mom and I are going to visit my aunt on that day."
"But I thought you said you had an appointment?"
She fidgeted nervously, "Yes... um, it just slipped out. Actually, going to my aunt is like an appointment with the dentist. She's so scary! But she insisted that we visit her. She lives alone, you know."
Disappointed, I slumped down on her bed, "Then it won't be any fun if you're not there with me."
She smiled, seeming touched, "Don't say that, Kiara. You'll have a lovely time with Cassian, you'll see. He can be very charming."
"Huh, you speak like you know him personally."
She suddenly looked annoyed with herself, like, Damn now why'd I say that?
"No, of course not. My mom says appearances can be deceiving. That's all."
I smirked, "Hon, even my mom says that. Doesn't exactly mean she's always right. You know what, I'd prefer if Cassian is himself. He's hot enough as it is! His sinister hunter look still makes me get a severe case of over-caffeination. I get so jumpy and frenzied when he's around. All I hope is that I don't prove myself to be a wobbly giraffe on a pair of legs during the dance." I shivered at the thought of dancing with the first ever guy who blew me away.
Curly grinned mischievously, "So... you're  nervous about dancing with him, huh?"
I raised an eyebrow, "Teasing me, are you? Looks like some of my awesomeness is rubbing off on you, Curly!" She poked her tongue out at me as I laughed at her miffed expression.
___________________________
"Mom! Dad! Guess what?"
My parents looked up from their magazines and laptops.
It was Friday night and I was super excited for Founder's Day.
"What, smarty, did you finally spend an entire day at school without giving the teachers a single cheeky comment? Congratulations!" Said my dad comically.
I scowled, "Dad, come on. You know that's not gonna be possible in a zillion years. Guess again."
My mom smiled brightly, "Did you finally decide to clean your room?"
"Mom! It's clean enough! Ughh, you guys suck at guessing. Okay, I'll tell you myself. It's Founder's Day celebration at school tomorrow evening and there's gonna be a dance!"
They looked surprised. "Did a boy ask you to be his partner?" Asked mom.
I nodded.
My dad as usual, said in mock horror, "My God, did a guy actually have the guts to ask Kiara Carlyle, whose sharp tongue can give a headache to absolutely anyone? I'm shocked!"
Mom smacked his arm, "Ralph! Behave like a mature adult for once in your life. And Kiara, honey it's great news. I hope you've picked a dress?"
I beamed, "Of course I have! Curly lent me a gorgeous one of hers. It's beautiful!"
Dad frowned, "Who's Curly?"
"My best friend."
"What kind of name's Curly ?"
"She's got super curly hair. So I call her that."
"With that logic, I should call you Brownie. Or Goldie Brownie."
"Dad! Do NOT call me that!"
He laughed as I folded my arms and looked away from him.
Mom suppressed a smile, "Who's your date, honey?"
I brightened up at that, "Cassian Montez"
"What?"
She looked at me like I had answered, "Freddie Krueger"
Even dad looked rather shocked.
"Kiara Carlyle! You're going to a dance with a criminal suspect?" Exclaimed mom, horrified.
"Criminal suspect? Mom, Mrs Carter said he hadn't killed her daughter! He's not a suspect any more!"
"I don't know about that! You are not going with him."
This time, it was my turn to be horrified, "Mom! You can't do that!" I looked at dad for help, "Dad! Say something!"
Dad put his hand on mom's shoulders soothingly, "Sierra, darling, you're just overreacting. Cassian Montez's name has been cleared long back. Kiara's set her heart on this dance. Let's not be such spoilsports. He's just a 17-year old kid. What could he do to our girl? And there's a reason I call her smarty. I know she can look out for herself. Can't you, smarty?"
I nodded earnestly. I love my dad!
Mom calmed down somewhat, "Fine, she can. But if you aren't back by 10pm sharp, you can be sure that you're grounded for life. Is that clear?"
"Yes!" I enveloped her in a giant bear hug, "Thanks a lot mom! I knew you wouldn't break your poor little daughter's heart!"
Mom scoffed at my use of the phrase, "poor little daughter" but hugged me back all the same.
I fist bumped dad behind her back and winked triumphantly.
Dad grinned slyly at mom, "You know, darling, I remember your dad telling you the same thing when I asked you out for our first date. You were simply over the moon at his words!"
Mom blushed and slapped the back of his head, "In your dreams, Ralph. I remember you begging me to have a coffee with you. You were the one who was over the moon, sun and every other planet there is!"
"Please! Then why'd you agree, huh?"
"I took pity on you, love."
"I don't believe you."
"You'd better, cause that's the truth. Deal with it."
"Ha ha. Very funny."
Guffawing, I left my parents bickering about their post-marriage life.
Once I got to my room, I remembered that I hadn't taken Cassian's number.
Damn, what a bummer. I was hoping to spend the night texting with him.
How cliche! Jeez.
Looks like I'll just have to wait till tomorrow evening.....
________________________