Chapter 23: Escaped!

I looked around myself and took a deep breath, inhaling a lot of old wood in the process.
Don't panic. It's okay. I tried to calm myself down.
I started to feel my way down the corridor again, my palms gliding along the rough wallpaper. My feet kept sinking into the carpet and I stumbled multiple times.
Finally, I reached the end of the corridor. There was a window at the turning! Yes!
However, like all the other windows in the mansion, it was boarded up.
I felt the horizontal planks nailed over the window, and tugged at a nail. To my delight, it came off easily as it was rusted and old. I pulled off all the nails one by one, pricking my shaky fingers a dozen times in my excitement.
With all the nails gone, the planks crashed down to the ground, and splintered into a thousand brittle wooden shards.
I flinched at the noise and looked around nervously, as though frightened that Zorraine would materialize beside me any second.
The watery sunlight poured in through the fogged up glass windows. I almost wept with relief as I felt the warmth of the sun touch my cold face.
The window was latched but opened easily when I lifted the wooden latch and creaked open on rusty hinges. The dusty marble window seat was a little high but I managed to swing myself onto it in a couple of tries and peered over the side.
My heart thudded wildly and threatened to burst out of my ribcage when I saw I was two stories high.
When did I get so high up?
This was no time to look for alternatives. I prayed to God to help me get down safely and swung my legs to the outer side of the ledge. It was really cold and the ground was rather difficult to view because of all the fog.
Yes, my plan was to jump.
Now that I saw how high up I was, I changed my mind and decided to climb down. I looked to my side and saw a whole forest of brambles and ivy clinging to the wall. I tugged at a creeper and found that it was super tough.
Reaching out a hand to the creeper, I carefully grabbed hold of a thick vine with my foot and shifted my entire body weight onto the creepers.
They groaned and creaked in protest but thankfully, didn't break. I gulped in fear when I looked down. If I fell....
Ok. Focus, Kiara. You will not fall.
I slowly began to clamber down the brambles and tangled myself in the ivy multiple times.
My clumsy hands grasped at strong vines to hold onto and my desperate feet tried to find footholds to climb down. All the while, I was terrified of slipping and falling off the creeper.
After what seemed an eternity, I managed to climb all the way down. When my feet touched the earth, I almost cried in joy. Finally! I escaped!
The black Prius was still standing in front of the mansion and there was no one around. The forest around me was suffocating me. The cold was freezing me and the fog was blinding me.
I ran to the car and got in the driver's seat. The key was still hanging in the lock cylinder! I pressed the clutch and stepped on the brake. I turned the key in the ignition and the car whirred to life.
It was too easy. Almost as if I was being invited to escape. But that's fine by me.
I quickly veered the vehicle around and sped off randomly in any direction that led me away from the damn mansion.
I peered several times at the rear view mirror to check if I was being followed.
Maybe I was going paranoid.
To my complete surprise, the otherwise stooped and gnarled trees straightened up and shifted to make way for me. Sunlight splashed to the ground in large pools, making hope surge through me.
Yep, somebody definitely wanted me to escape.
And I had a feeling that my helper was Zorraine.
That did not make me feel better.
Nevertheless, I followed the trail offered by the trees and soon reached the edge of the forest.
As soon as I entered the main road, I stopped the car, jumped out and started to walk towards the more crowded paths. I left the car at the edge of the road with the key still in it, not wanting to have to explain where I had acquired it from.
The sight of people had never made me so happy. When I saw the crowds on the road going about their business, talking, shopping, walking, I felt an immense happiness spread through me.
My nerves however, were still frayed, my fingers still shaking and my legs still wobbling.
Trying to look as normal as possible, I made my way towards my home. I suddely realized that I didn't have my backpack with me. So going to school was a no-no. Plus, I was horribly late.
The guards would probably think I was a kidnapper trying to break into the school.
As soon as I reached home, I stood outside on the porch for a moment, trying to figure out an excuse to give my mom for turning up at home in the middle of school hours.
A car accident on my way to school?
Nah, I don't drive to school.
Bombing in the school building?
Huh, she'll slap me.
A jerk who snatched my backpack on the road?
Hmmm... not bad excuse.
I rang the doorbell and waited for mom to open the door.
A few minutes later, she opened the door, her apron stained with sauce and her hands covered in flour. Obviously, she was cooking. My mom loves to cook.
She gasped when she saw me. Her eyes widened, "Kiara! What're you doing here? Shouldn't you be in school right now?"
I tried to look hassled and said in a scared voice, "Mom, a guy in black ran upto me from behind, grabbed my backpack and ran away! I ran after him for a few blocks but he got away. I- I couldn't catch up with him!" I made a show of steadying my shaking hands and gripped the door frame to support my wobbling legs.
Mom looked horrified as she dusted her hands on her already dirty apron and enveloped me in a tight hug, "Oh darling, that's awful! Don't be scared. I'm so sorry it happened, poor love."
To be honest, it felt really good to be in my mother's warm arms. I had been scared out of my mind until now, I realized. Being embraced by my mother made me feel completely safe. Like no danger could affect me anymore.
Even though she smelled strongly of thyme and marjoram.
She held me a little away from herself and studied my face, "Oh sweetheart, don't cry! It's okay, it's fine!"
I had started to tear up a bit without noticing it. I guess I was just too overwhelmed.
I wiped my eyes with my jacket sleeve and gave her a half smile, "Can we go inside?"
Mom giggled softly, "Silly me! Of course we can. Come on honey, your shaking all over. A hot shower and a nice filling meal will fix you up, I'm sure."
I couldn't agree more.
__________________________
I got out of my clothes as fast as possible and jumped into the shower. The hot water pounded on my stiff skin. I felt as though I was a bag of frozen peas being thawed in a microwave. I winced when I noticed blisters on my palms from clutching onto those brambles.
The shower definitely helped me clear my muddled head. Once I had finished, I dried myself and slipped into a soft fuzzy blue robe and fuzzy slippers.
In my room, I drew the curtains and locked the door, plunging the room into semi darkness.
I walked to my full length mirror and let my robe drop to my feet. There was only enough dim light to see myself.
I was proud of my body but thought of it as too skinny. My neck was smooth and long, my collarbones were elegantly jutting out and my arms were slender and shapely. My cleavage was not too large and not too small. I'd say I was just medium sized. My stomach was flat and taut, thankfully and my waist was small enough. My hips flared out gently and my legs were slim and smooth.
I was quite willowy. I had no complaints concerning my body but now, all of a sudden I felt small and unimportant.
My cheeks were flushed from the hot shower and my expression was nervous.
Without stalling anymore, I grabbed a pair of embroidered black jeans and a sleeveless white silk top that exposed my belly button a little bit but I didn't care. I eased my feet into a pair of black pumps and pulled my long golden brown hair into a messy ponytail.
I drew back the curtains and rushed down to the kitchen where my mom was stirring a pot on the stove.
I settled down at the table and leaned back on my chair, sighing deeply.
Mom heard me sigh and turned to me, "Took a shower?"
I nodded.
"Feeling better?"
I nodded again, and gestured at the pot on the stove, "What're you making?"
She ignored my question and looked me up and down approvingly and smiled, "You look great, darling. But aren't you gonna feel cold in that top?"
I shrugged, "I'll just pull on a coat or something. Come on tell me, what're you making?" I whined impatiently.
She only smiled in response.
A few minutes later, she placed a steaming plate of swiss cheese and provolone and Mediterranean herb quiche in front me.
It smelled heavenly.
I took a mouthful and almost died of pleasure. The salty, nutty flavour of the cheese and the fragrant herbs helped calm my nerves. I freaking love my mother and her food!
"So... now what're you going to do about that bag?" Mom asked, sitting down opposite me.
I swallowed my mouthful of quiche, "I'll have to buy a new bag. Thankfully, there wasn't much stuff in it. My phone and wallet were in my pocket."
She sighed wistfully, "It's such a pity,   sweetheart. What a brute! Did you  see his face?"
I shook my head, "No.. he was wearing a ratty black hoodie with the hood pulled over his face."
"That's too bad, sweetie. I'm so sorry it happened with you."
"I'm sorry about it too, mom."
___________________
Zorraine's POV:
"I set you free, ensorcelled one."
The spirit left little Olivia's body in a black wisp of smoke and I opened a small crystal jar.
The spirit screamed but couldn't stop itself being sucked back into it's proper place. In the jar.
Meanwhile, Olivia promptly collapsed to the soft carpeted floor, unconscious.
I smiled at her sleeping form and placed the jar back onto it's shelf. I walked up to her and crouched down to her level.
Stroking her face gently, I whispered in what I hoped was a soft voice, "Wake up, little girl. It's time to go home."
I blew on her face and her tiny eyebrows scrunched up. She started to stir.
I snapped my fingers and in a jiffy, she vanished.
I transported her back to her own home. The poor child had gone through enough for a day.
As for Kiara....
A shady smirk spread out on my face. She had thought I had let her escape, or rather, helped her escape. She wasn't entirely wrong.
I had just delayed her flight, not cancelled it.