Chapter 26: Trouble

God... Cassian actually did that to our math teacher just because he had asked him a question?

I wonder what else he is capable of. Maybe it was him that tortured Greg, Illiana and the history teacher to death.....

I suddenly felt very frightened of him. If he could do those things to the people he hardly knew, God knows what he might do to me.

Curly had said he was attracted to me, but that could mean that he wanted me as one of his victims! But he had made me feel so good when he had kissed me, and then I was head over heels for him.
Maybe he was softening me up for butchering me later....

I really didn't want to have any kind of association with a sadistic murderer like him. Now that I saw what he had done to the teacher, I felt much, much more threatened by him than ever before.

It was a damn mistake. A bloody, stupid mistake to have let things get this far. I can't back out now, even if  really necessary to do so.

Why did he have to set his eyes on me?
I kept looking over my shoulder, as I walked back home from school, as though afraid that Cassian might be following me. Every sound, every small noise made me twitch.

I jumped violently as a kid on a bike sped past me. I screamed when an old man tapped me on my shoulder to ask for directions to someone's house. I almost broke into a run when I heard a car behind me.

What is happening to me? Am I turning paranoid?

I cried with relief when I finally got home. Mom fussed over me as according to her, I looked 'like someone had chased me home.'

Maybe that was what I had been thinking.

As I lay in my bed that night, I stared up at the ceiling, wrapping my covers tighter around myself. My mind was filled with dark thoughts of Cassian.
The math teacher's face kept appearing in front of my eyes. The guy I liked had this much inhumanity in him? I had never imagined him to be capable of this. However sadistic he might be, I had never thought he would harm someone for so little.

What if he... was going to do something similar to me? What if he wanted to torture me the same way?

Fear. Worry. Worry. Fear.

I simply couldn't sleep. I was too preoccupied to sleep. Besides whenever I closed my eyes, Cassian's inhumanly gorgeous, but cruel face haunted me.
As I tossed and turned and rolled over, my half open eyes fell on my study desk, partly lit up by the moonlight streaming in through the drawn back curtains.

I stifled a scream.

A tall silhouette of a man was leaning back on the desk. His face was not visible in the dark.

I bolted up in bed and scrambled backwards until my back hit the headboard. My cold fingers clutched the sheets as I drew them up to my chin. My first thoughts were: Cassian!

But it wasn't.

The figure moved towards my bed, until he was under the moonlight. I saw his face and for a reason unknown to me, all my fear vanished.

I breathed out in relief and rubbed my forehead, "You should stop giving me heart attacks, you know."

He chuckled, making me want to melt on the spot, "It's amusing to watch you all worked up."

I rolled my eyes as he came nearer and sat down on my bed, near my feet. Instinctively, I moved even backwards, though I was pretty much squashed to the headboard.

Zorraine threw back his head and laughed, "You're behaving like I'm diseased or something. Don't worry, mi angelita, my gorgeousness is not infectious." He winked.