Chapter 32: War Planning

Kiara's POV:
I pondered over the words I had just spewed. Or issued. I don't really get it.

The planets hold the answers to all my prayers? I couldn't make head or tail out of the Prophecy.  Hidden in the names... some kind of crossword puzzle?

Uncle Ash closed his eyes and muttered under his breath, "Dark future for a Celeste... Kiara in trouble. Not enough.. when alone.. have to stick together. Pattern that does not continue to the end... evil being passed down the line of the Mantzari family... it can... end?"

Since none of us could begin to understand the meaning of the Prophecy, we just stared at Uncle Ash intently waiting for him to crack the case.

After mumbling for a couple more minutes, he suddenly stood up and hurried out of the door.

What?

He just leaves like that? How on earth are we supposed to help Zorraine with him being all shady and secretive?!

Mel and Chryss immediately turned to the rest of magic people in the room and spoke in commanding voices:
"Everyone gather as many weapons as you can. Older gifted ones start to open the portal. Younger ones find out about Jacquelyne and if she's really escaped or not. Gray, Ry and Kiara, follow us. Darren, help where you can."

Darren looked at them incredulously, "That's all you got for me? Darren help where you can? "

Already halfway out of the room, Mel called out, "I forgot, and don't mess up."

He grumbled and stalked off to help. I ran to keep up with Mel and the others.

"Where are we going?"

Chryss took my hand and said comfortingly, "Don't worry, Kiara. Uncle Ash will solve the Prophecy in no time and we'll have a headstart against them."

I huffed, "That did not answer my question and headstart against who?"

"Hold the questions until we know the answers to them, can't you?" Said Ryder annoyed.

"Well excuse me for wanting to know who we're barrelling towards like army tankers!"

"Curiosity killed the Celeste!"

"And snarkiness killed the ungifted one!"

"And-"

"SHUT UP!"  Both me and Ryder glared at each other but obeyed Mel.

We followed her to the dining room where Uncle Ash was peering carefully at a large ornate mirror.

On looking more closely, I realized that it showed a crouching figure chained to a ragged stone wall. The person appeared to be in serious pain. My heart clenched when I saw the deep gashes running down his arms and his bloodied wrists chafing against the chains.

"Who's that?" I asked tentatively, even though the figure looked vaguely familiar.

Chryss gasped in horror, "Oh lord! Thats-" Mel cut her off sharply, "Don't."

My heart pounded so hard that I almost thought it would burst out of my ribcage. Shock and horror invaded my mind and turned my blood to ice.

No, no... Cassian wouldn't be so cruel.

A little voice in my head whispered snidely, but you know he is that cruel.

Tears threatened to fall from my eyes but I managed to stop them. I couldn't show myself to be weak.

"Zorraine.." I whispered.

Uncle Ash nodded sadly, "It seems Cassian has turned into the monster we have always feared him to become."