Chapter 31: The First Issuing

Kiara's POV:
"Will anyone please tell me who in the blazes is Jacquelyne?!"

I exclaimed exasperatedly. Honestly, I was pretty darn tired of these people looking at each other and then at me like some great tragedy had occured. Darren had burst into the room anxiously and announced that Cassian's summoned some chick called Jacquelyne. And everyone started to go into shock. Wtf?

Mel turned to me and bit her lip. Something told me that this Jacquelyne chick wasn't good news.

"Kiara, there's something you should know. Or rather, multiple things." She looked immensely worried.

I folded my arms across my chest, "Really? I had no idea! I thought you'd told me everything already!"

"Jacquelyne had been Cassian's ex girlfriend. Or ex lover, as said in those times." Mel declared in a rather disapproving tone.

I raised my eyebrows. Ex lover? I knew that I shouldn't have, but I felt the slightly... resentful. But I quickly shook off the feeling remembering my feelings for Zorraine. It's Zorraine that I want. Not Cassian. Not anymore.

But still. That icy tugging stayed at the bottom of my stomach.

Mel continued, "She was a dancer of a well renowned troupe from Georgia. They came to Oakwood to perform when Cassian was sixteen. The Mantzari brothers attended one of their shows and immediately called for Jacquelyne Cabrera, the most talented and beautiful dancer from the troupe to give them personal performances."

Grayson Newell took over from her, "The two were completely enamoured by her. Especially Cassian. She used to visit their mansion almost all the time. She became so obsessed with Cassian, that she parted with her troupe when they left Oakwood so that she could stay close to Cassian. She lusted for him with all she had."

I suddenly felt a little bristly at this lust she had for Cassian. But I hid it by acting casual, "What about the other way around?"

Grayson looked surprised, "What d'you mean?"

I tried to appear as uncaring as I could, "I mean, did Cassian, ahem, care for her as well?"

He looked even more surprised and then scoffed, "Cassian? Care about anyone? Please. He was merely using her."

It was my turn to appear surprised, "Using her?" That... was unexpected.

"It might sound unpleasant, Kiara, but it's the truth. Cassian had been taught all kinds of dangerous and cruel arts by his grandfather. They included seduction and manipulation. That's what he did." His hazel eyes met mine and I could detect a hint of warning in them. As though making a point about how sadistic Cassian was.

Ryder Simons chuckled humorlessly that made us all look at him, "Man, he had her wrapped around his finger. She didn't back down from doing anything he asked her to. He just had to order her to do something and she did it. Even when what he was telling her to do was wrong. She soon couldn't think of life without Cassian. But then, he got tired of her. She started to bore him with her 'undying love' for him. Finally, irritated with her following him around and stalker issues, he... broke things off with her." He said the last part slightly uncomfortably, as the breaking off had more to it.

Chrysseis Jansen patted him on the back sympathetically and continued, "He was pretty rude about it too. Literally kicked her out with quite a lot of insults. He called her some offensive things and ordered her never to show him her face again. That was like a slap to her face. She vowed revenge and left Oakwood without a word."

An awkward silence filled the room. I sat down heavily on a bean bag, my head spinning. Mel crouched down next to me and said soothingly, "Hey, we know it's a lot to digest, but Jacquelyne is bad news, Kiara. She-" I cut her off in a rather shaky voice, "How is she alive?"