Chapter 4: Nervous

Yikes! I literally have no idea how my mom managed to find such a preposterously shitty school in such a short period of time.
The math teacher is incredibly boring. The history teacher has an amazing talent of making me fall asleep. The english teacher's voice works better than any lullaby on earth and the biology teacher has turned an interesting subject into roadkill.
So, the Award for Shittiest School in the World goes to *dramatic drum roll*
..... Oakwood High!!!
*applause! applause!*

The only things that make me come to this shithole everyday are two people, Curly and Cassian.
I gaze at him whenever we have a class together, which surprisingly, is all the time. He makes even the most mundane of classes worth attending.
Curly and I have become close friends. She's always wide eyed and awestruck whenever I snub Daniella or any other annoying person. She told me that she lived with her mom as her dad left them when she was 3.
She took me to meet her mom. The poor lady almost fainted with joy when I told her that I was her daughter's friend. Apparently, Curly didn't have any friends despite her mom urging her to make some.
I kinda treat her like a little sister. I always have sharp retort ready for any dickhead who thinks he or she can bully my friend.
Almost a month since we arrived in Oakwood. And I still haven't talked to Cassian!
Jeez! Whats wrong with me?
I decided to talk to him during recess. Curly was astounded, "You're actually gonna talk to him?"
I shrugged, "Yeah, I guess I should get a move on before any fake Barbie snaps him up."
She fidgeted nervously, "I don't know Kiara... I'm kinda scared of him."
I narrowed my eyes, "Scared? Why would you be scared?"
She became even more nervous, "He gives off an... unsettling aura. The way he looked at Mr Samuels... even he was afraid. And I've never seen Mr Samuels nervous of any student."
I looked at her scornfully, "Kids these days! They overthink so much. Come on Curly, he's a guy, not Voldemort!"
I started to walk away but distinctly heard her mutter under her breath: "Voldemort's less scary than him, any day."
He was sitting near the window as usual in the cafeteria. Alone.
Now's your chance, Kiara! Its now or never!
I flung myself down on the seat opposite of him, trying to look as nonchalant as possible.
He looked at me, his eyebrows raised amusedly, "Hello stranger"
Stranger?
"Hello yourself. And how did you get amnesia? Hit your head or something?" I smiled sweetly.
He looked falsely perplexed, "Amnesia?"
"Well, obviously you've lost your memory or you won't be calling me stranger."
His look of confusion was replaced by a teasing smile, "Who says you're memorable?"
I pretended to be hurt, "I'm not? But I thought you'd remember me seeing as we have almost every class together."
He laughed, "Okay okay. You win. Yeah, I do remember you. You're Kiara Carlyle, the sharp tongued girl who made me speechless on my first day here."
My insides wriggled like snakes. Rattlesnakes.
I grinned at him, trying not to show my ecstasy, "Speechless, huh? Quite an achievement."
"Yeah, it takes a lot of talent to put me at a loss for words."
"You seem to be pretty proud of the effect you have on people."
"Does 'people' include you?"
"Maybe"
"So it does include you."
"Hello, I put you at a loss for words. I have quite a talent for that sort of thing."
"I noticed. What effect do I have on people, Kiara?"
"Well let me think. People get nervous around you. Mostly because of the expression you have on your face most of the time."
"Does my facial expression make you nervous?"
"I have a feeling that I can't answer 'maybe' again."
"Your feelings are true enough"
"Okay then..." I leaned forward putting my elbows on the table looking secretive,"the answer is..."
He leaned forward too, inquisitively, as though eager to know if he made me nervous or not.

"No"

As I got up and left the cafeteria, I could feel his challenging and sinister smile on my back.

For some reason, I suddenly felt nervous.