Flashback

13 year old Allyson Mantzari wiped her sweaty brow out of exhaustion, looking for a way to escape the stuffy dressing room. The dressmakers piled dress after dress on the large velvet diwan next to her, and shoemakers took out pairs and pairs of shoes from their cases.

Meanwhile, her mother, Lady Veronique Mantzari perched gracefully on a velvet sofa by the full length mirror, critically examining her daughter, to choose the perfect dress for the evening's party at the mansion.
Allyson almost suffocated under the mountains of silk, satin, velvet and gossamer. Oceans of blood red, midnight navy blue, emerald green, golden yellow and royal purple surrounded her. All the gowns were heavy, imposing and elaborate. Too difficult to handle for a thirteen year old girl. Her small body was tired of changing into and out of the thousands of garments. However, her mother unsympathetically ordered the dressmakers to bring out more and more gowns, as not a single one pleased her.

The poor girl's feet hurt from having to try on more than a hundred pairs of shoes. All of them heavy and high heels, which did not exactly enable her to walk comfortably.

"Not this one. Too garish. Get the next one, please!" Ordered Lady Veronique, an expression of dissatisfaction etched deep onto her otherwise coldly beautiful face.

The dressmakers groaned, tiredly. But they knew better than to show it. Everyone was aware of Lady Veronique's temper. They wisely did as they were ordered to.

Allyson gratefully slipped out of the multicolored, eye hurting gown that was almost cutting off her blood supply.

But at the prospect of having to try on more dresses made her want to storm out of the room and run off to her brothers. She wondered what they were doing at the moment. Maybe hunting with their father in the forest. Or racing their stallions on the lush green fields behind the mansion. Or-

"Allyson Mantzari! Where is your mind? Did you forget your manners?" Her mother's annoyed voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"No mother." She said meekly. She had never been able to stand up to her, "I was just wondering whether you could let me go spend some time with Cass and Ren? I am a bit worn out." Though she hated being told off by her mother, she risked asking her this out of desperation.

Her mother stared at her horrified, "You want to spend time with those two good for nothing ruffians?" She exclaimed, as though Allyson had asked to spend time with the sweeper's son, instead of her own brothers.
"Here I am trying my hardest to bring you up like a proper lady, and you! You ungrateful girl, you are only interested in embarrassing me in front of the society! Oh dear, I need water, get me some water, quickly!" Lady Veronique leaned back on the cushions, fanning herself as though she had just run three hundred miles.

Allyson hung her head low, as usual. She always heard out her mother without a word of protest, because she knew it would be futile.

A maidservant hurried into the room, carrying a crystal jug and a goblet on a silver tray, embossed with the Mantzari family crest.

The dressmakers, shoemakers and other servants looked at the unfortunate girl sympathetically. They had witnessed Lady Veronique berate her daughter at the slightest of mistakes, and they pitied her greatly.
Lady Veronique took a sophisticated sip of the water, wiped her carefully painted lips with a lace handkerchief and looked at her daughter with icy eyes.

"As for you being worn out, how many times do I need to remind you to get used to it? You are a woman. Women need to suffer and bear pain throughout their lives. And a little bit of exhaustion won't hurt you, child."
Allyson tried to protest out of part bravery and part foolishness, "But mother, my feet hurt. And I can't breathe! I-"