Chapter 40: Not the Monster

Kiara's POV:

His body had cushioned my fall, but he himself was hard chested and I flinched when I landed on top of him.

Nathaniel had taken the brunt of pain as his back hit the floor. Jacquelyne gasped at my audacity. Obviously, she hadn't anticipated my actions. Neither had he.

I placed both my hands on both sides of his face and looked into his red eyes, hoping to see a hint of brown.

A voice in my head told me that I had to bring him back. Bring him back. Only you can bring him back. The chanting of those words turned into buzzing as I focused on trying to reach Cassian.

I stared at him so hard, that I could feel my eyes watering.

"I know you can hear me, Cassian. I know you're in there. You can fight him off. You have to!" I desperately begged him, my palms flat on his cheeks.

He just stared back at me blankly, not responding.

Huh?

Why the hell wasn't he saying anything?

It's done. He's gone forever. But your war is not over. The voice buzzed, making me a bit disoriented for a few seconds.

From behind me, Jacquelyne screeched, "You stupid trollop! You broke the spell and drove him out!"

I looked up in surprise, "I did?"

"I worked so hard! I.. I... waited so long! No...no... NO!!!" She ran over to us in astonishing speed and knocked me off Cassian's unmoving body with a sharp kick in the ribs.

Groaning, I sat up and winced at the pain in my stomach. Damn, she could kick pretty hard for a dead girl.

She flung herself across Cassian's body and shook him by the shoulders. "You cannot leave me now! You cannot! You... you... COME BACK!!!" She yelled and cried, but to no avail. On not being able to complete the spell, Nathaniel's spirit had been forced to leave Cassian's body and return to Hell, where he came from.

I looked at Zorraine to see if he was okay. He wasn't stirring, but the gentle rise and fall of his chest told me that he was alive. Heaving a sigh of relief, I turned to Jacquelyne's weeping form and stood up shakily.

"Its of no use. You have to face it Jackie, Nathaniel's gone and Cassian's gonna be back any minute now," I said calmly, crossing my fingers behind my back.

If only she'd take my word for it and go back to the Prisons of Damnation or whatever.

She stopped weeping and straightened up slowly. An uneasy feeling washed over me. She's probably not gonna go down without a fight.

Uh oh.

Her angry features were focused on me. I felt like I was at gunpoint under her intense glare. She stood up and got away from Cassian.

"You think you are so clever, don't you, celestial bitch?" She snarled, taking a step towards me.

Mustering every ounce of courage to not step back, I sneered at her, "Think? No, honey, I believe I'm clever. Well, cleverer than you of course."

Wow Kiara, you really wanna die today, huh?

Jacquelyn, however didn't seem too offended. She laughed, "You're only a plaything, a toy! Just like I was! You think you're special, but you're not. He's intrigued by you because you didn't try to offer yourself up to him as soon as you met him," she paused to smirk at me, "I admit, I made that mistake. I didn't pose as a challenge to him. That's why he got bored of me. And trust me, honey, he'll get bored of you too!"