Flashback (Part 1)

"Cass?"

17 year old Cassian Mantzari turned around from his desk to face his big brother, "What is it, Ren?"

"What are you doing?"

19 year old Zorraine Mantzari came upto his younger brother and stood behind him, placing his hands on the back of his chair.

Cassian was hunched over a long roll of parchment, scribbling furiously with an eagle feather quill, "Nothing, just a letter to Jacquelyne."

Zorraine raised his eyebrows, his grip tightening the slightest bit on the chair back, "I thought you had paid her off already."

Cassian huffed, pausing for a moment, "I'm arranging for a meeting with her in the forest."

"Why's that?"

"She's being a bit problematic at the moment. I spent an entire year in her company, but that's not enough for her, apparently."

He leaned back, resting his head in Zorraine's hands. The latter smiled softly, and ran his fingers through Cassian's silken hair, "Did you sleep with her, then?"

Cassian smirked, a dark shadow passing over his flawless face, "She was too eager. Begged me not to leave her bed."

He met Zorraine's gaze and gave him a meaningful smile, to which the latter chuckled, "You sadistic animal.", shaking his head.

Cassian smirked and closed his eyes, "She's magnificent, Ren, I won't lie about that.... but she's not enough for me. And she's getting more and more infuriating. Don't leave me, Christian. I belong by your side, Christian. Do I not make you happy, Christian?... It's irritating!"

His eyes remained closed, and Zorraine started to gently press his temples, massaging them.

"Hmmm... that's relaxing, Ren. You picked up some useful tricks from those pleasure houses you frequent, I see." Cassian slowly started to feel himself get drowsy. His brother's skilled fingers rotated clockwise on his skin, the vibration reaching his brain, gently lulling him to sleep.

Zorraine's face held no emotion. His downcast eyes grazed Cassian's sleeping form. A tiny, but unmistakable hint of a smile formed on his lips.
When Cassian began to snore softly, he slowly removed his fingers and stepped back. His hands clasped themselves behind his back, and the mysterious smile on his lips stretched a bit further.

"It took you long enough."

If he was startled at the low, feminine voice from the door behind him, he didn't show it. Calm and collected as ever, he didn't bother to turn around and greet the speaker, "Did I give you permission to speak, girl?"

His voice was uncharacteristically harsh and cold, making the newcomer shiver, but only slightly.

She stood at the entrance of the room, head bowed respectfully, "No,my lord."
He turned around to face her, still smiling, "Always know your place."
She gave a soft gasp and stumbled back slightly. His eyes....

Instead of the regular sapphire blue eyes, they were dark red, almost maroon. They had dark shadows under them, but weren't caused by lack of sleep. His normally relaxed, teasing features were overtaken by a malevolent shadow.

And a mere look from him made her nervous. But she wasn't one to be daunted. She had come a long way to get what she wanted. And she wasn't about to let it go.

Zorraine strolled over to her, backing her up against the wall, placing a hand on a side of her head, "You know what you have to do."

She nodded furtively, not breaking eye contact with him.