Chapter seventeen

Lizelle

Getting to the library, I was met with a broken padlock laying on the floor. The padlock that looks a thousand years old, which obviously belongs to the door to the library. Someone must have broken into this place and stolen a book. The person definitely is an outsider, one that doesn't live the pack house.

Because all the members that live in this pack house know that the key to the padlock is always placed deep inside the stone filled flower pot beside the door. Ignoring the fact that a thief had literally broken into pack's library, I entered the library with one sole aim.

Get the book and get the hell out of here.

Heading to the place I first found the book, I groaned. I don't really remember which role the book is. God am I so stupid. But who am I to think that I was going to need the book later.

Setting my jumbled thoughts aside, I walked to the next row with the same hope of finding the book. When I saw the number, I began to trace it carefully. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5........ No it wasn't up to five, because it caught my attention immediately I saw it.

I went back to counting again. Picking out the book as I read the title. None of them holds the title of the book I am looking for. Did the thief that broke in steal the book? How is that even possible, there is no one that could have been interested in that old ancient book. I, myself found it by mistake.

Deciding to come back for the book and search for it thoroughly, I left the library and headed for my mum's cabin. Perhaps I could have breakfast with her since its still very early for her to wake up. But I am sure she is already awake.

             ********************
I didn't bother to knock but use my spare key. I take it with me everywhere I go just in case. The door made a clink sound, signifying that it's opened.

Smiling, I took in the homely scent of my mum's cooking. She is preparing breakfast already, she must be going somewhere important and early.

I walked in further and heard  nothing after shouting hello like a thousand times.

I entered her room and heard the splashing of water. She is having a shower. I turned and was about to leave when I noticed something lying on her dressing table. Something pretty much familiar.

The old ancient book.

How on earth did it get to mum? Why does she even have it. So she is the thief that broke into the library. How did she even know about the book? It was just me and Evelyn that know about this whole thing. My mum only knows about the part of me not shifting yet.

I am such a weird daughter.

When I noticed that the shower water had stopped pouring, I quickly took the book and exited her room.

If not for the fact that I want to know the reason why she stole the book, I would have ran away with it, without her knowing. But I want to know what she knows and I am also willing to tell her everything. Everything that I know and she doesn't know.

Moments later, I heard her light footsteps after sitting in the living room for over twenty minutes.

Didn't know old people take that long to get ready.

My mum isn't that old. She must be around forty or forty two. My dad and her mate quite early and as a result, my mum gave birth to me at the age of seventeen.

When she noticed me sitting on the couch, she furrowed her eyebrows together making it obvious that she wasn't expecting to see me.

I smiled at her, hiding the book under the soft cushioned pillow. "Mum, how are you doing?" I asked, not wanting to raise any suspicions whatsoever.