ix. one year

" little by little we let go of loss, but never of love

" little by little we let go of loss, but never of love. "

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

LILY SCREAMED, HER BACK ARCHING as she thrashed about violently in her sleep. James woke up with a jolt, tumbling out of the bed and onto the floor.

"No, no I don't know!" Lily sobbed in her sleep. "Please I don't know."

James fumbled for his glasses, switching on the bedside lamp.

"Lils, wake up," he said softly. "Wake up, it's okay."

Lily did not wake, letting out a few soft whimpers as she curled in on herself. James gently pinned her shoulders to the bed, shaking her a few times.

"No, get away from me, I'm sorry," Lily mumbled. "I don't know what you want me to."

"Lily, it's me love," James said. "Wake up." He shook her slightly rougher, and her eyes snapped open.

"J-Jay?" she murmured.

"It's me love, I'm here," James said. "You're okay."

Lily burst into tears, and James sat back down on the bed, pulling her into his arms. He held her tightly, murmuring soothing things and stroking her hair. Lily was covered in a cold sweat, but her forehead was still warm. The household had pretty much recovered from their bout of flu, just a few sniffles here and there. 

"I need to see Cass," Lily said shakily. "I— I need to check..."

"Cass'll be sleeping love," James said. "You're both just coming out of being ill, you should get some rest."

"No— no I need to be sure she's— she's there," Lily said, pulling out of James' grip and stumbling out of the room. James hurried after her, chewing on his bottom lip. Lily hadn't had a nightmare like that in months.

"Cass?" Lily whispered uncertainly. Cass was crying into Noah's chest, Noah's arms wrapped protectively around her.

"Look Cassie, she's right here," Noah said softly. "She's alright."

"Lily," Cass breathed out. "Oh thank god." Cass untangled herself from Noah, staggering over to Lily and giving her a tight hug. Noah and James exchanged worried looks.

"Can we..." Lily said, looking at Cass pleadingly. Cass nodded immediately.

"Can you go and sleep with James tonight?" she asked Noah softly.

"Kicking me out are you?" Noah said, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Well, all four of us aren't going to fit in a bed anymore, since two of us are pregnant," Cass said.

"I understand love," Noah said, pressing a kiss to Cass' forehead. "But are you sure you don't want us to stay?"

"We'll be alright," Cass said. "We'll be fine."