xi. the turn for the worst

" i'm so afraid, because i'm so profoundly happy

" i'm so afraid, because i'm so profoundly happy. happiness like this is frightening... because they only let you be this happy if they're preparing to take something away from you. "
khaled hosseini, the kite runner

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

CASS WISHED SHE COULD SAY that Sirius was improving, but she would be lying. As April faded into May, he was still the same. She had lost count of the number o times he had brought a girl home, or had not returned for the evening. She, James, Lily and Noah had been taking it in turns to secretly remove any half drunk bottles of alcohol from Sirius' room, putting them back in the drinks cabinet. None of them really knew what to do, each of them trying on numerous occasions to talk to Sirius and each of them getting shut down.

Apart from that obvious issue, Cass was doing well. She was actually content with her life, she was happy. She loved her job at Hogwarts, she was spending more time with Noah, she had even visited Andromeda and spent some time with Nymphadora. She was so happy that she was scared, scared something bad was going to happen. Cass hummed quietly to herself as she served up the soup she had made for the five of them. Sirius was yet to emerge from his room, even though it was one in the afternoon.

"Do you want a hand love?" Noah said, sticking his head round the kitchen door. Cass nodded, a small smile gracing her lips.

"Could you put these on the table?" She said, handing him two bowls.

"Sure." Noah said. "It looks great."

"Morning." Sirius mumbled, finally meandering through.

"Afternoon." Cass said, placing more bowls on the table. "Nice of you to grace us with your presence."

"What's for lunch?" Sirius said, sitting down unfazed.

"What does it look like?" Cass said.

"I'll just get Clara's food." James said hastily. "Sirius, could you give me a hand?"

"I suppose so." Sirius sighed. Cass rolled her eyes. Lily squeezed her shoulder.

"I spoke to Euphemia earlier." She said quietly. "She and Fleamont are going to try and talk to Sirius, this can't go on."

"They're our last fucking hope." Cass said. "We've tried everything, I wish Remus could've stayed longer."

"Don't swear in front of Clara." Lily said, frowning slightly.

"Whoops, sorry Clara." Cass said, tickling Clara under the chin. Clara gurgled happily, fixing Cass with a toothless smile. Lily rolled her eyes fondly.

"Her first word is going to be fuck if we don't watch out." She said.

"Lily! You just told me not to swear in front of her!" Cass said. Lily shrugged. "Your mum's a bit silly, eh Clara? I'm much better than her."